• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bought a deuce - the journey begins

InTheMitten74

After a lot of viewing at potentials, I picked up an A2C.

Drove it 175 miles home with no issues except it'll probably need a new rear main seal and clutch over haul while it's open.

She was dripping pretty good when I got it home.

M35A2C.jpg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Do not jump to do lots of work
dripping , what is "dripping"?
Drive Her around a bunch and then seek leaks
If She was NOT run long time GI, then She might leak very little after proper use.
WAR machines are built to run run......................................
Just an idea..........................

FloridaAKM

Do not jump to do lots of work
dripping , what is "dripping"?
Drive Her around a bunch and then seek leaks
If She was NOT run long time GI, then She might leak very little after proper use.
WAR machines are built to run run......................................
Just an idea..........................
Listen to Frank8003, he knows how these machines react. Sitting kills them, running them makes them shine with proper maintenance.

Welcome to the board & good looking truck. I have one very similar, but without the singles.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. Usually dripping is from transmission. If filled to the fill hole it will leak out. Brake cleaner can save the clutch.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine always drops a little oil when it's warmed up, but when everything cools down it stops.

pjwest03

These trucks are in the category of "If there aint't no oil under it, there ain't no oil in it."

Welcome to the insanity! I went for extra long insanity with an M36A2.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
smell the oil. If its gear oil, you'll know its a trans issue rather than motor issue. Many trans will leak gear oil on long trips.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Many trans will leak gear oil on long trips.
When I refilled my tranny after the OD upgrade, I used the specified amount of gear oil and everything was fine.....until the first 2 hour trip at highway speed. The whole right side of the truck was coated in oil. I frantically searched for the leak; this did not at all look ok! I thought the (new) rear main seal had let go. Then I figured out it was gear oil....three cans of brake cleaner later, things were back to normal.
The tranny seems to have its own idea of what the appropriate fill level is. Probably learnt that from the radiator which does the same.

InTheMitten74

When I refilled my tranny after the OD upgrade, I used the specified amount of gear oil and everything was fine.....until the first 2 hour trip at highway speed. The whole right side of the truck was coated in oil. I frantically searched for the leak; this did not at all look ok! I thought the (new) rear main seal had let go. Then I figured out it was gear oil....three cans of brake cleaner later, things were back to normal.
The tranny seems to have its own idea of what the appropriate fill level is. Probably learnt that from the radiator which does the same.
That's exactly what happened once I pulled into the drive at home (after a 3 hour trip on the interstate). Thing made a small puddle in the driveway about 6" in diameter then stopped.

Moving it around yesterday to get it in the barn shown no signs of loss like that.

Did you just spray brake cleaner up in there to clean off the clutch plate?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wheels chocked, engine running, sprayed three cans of brake cleaner up into the bell housing and tried not to be lathered by the mess that came back out of the fording hole. No clutch slippage after, so I think I got away with it. That was two years ago.

rustystud

That's exactly what happened once I pulled into the drive at home (after a 3 hour trip on the interstate). Thing made a small puddle in the driveway about 6" in diameter then stopped.

Moving it around yesterday to get it in the barn shown no signs of loss like that.

Did you just spray brake cleaner up in there to clean off the clutch plate?
The Deuce was just marking it's territory ! Now that you cleaned it up it will have to remark it's spot ! :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks