• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hard top advise

Privatewrench

20190915_101127.jpg
The lower edge (end that attaches to truck) of this hard top that I'm cleaning up to paint and put new weather seals on has the metal skin pulling away from framing. Pretty much all across the bottom section. It's not completley pulled away. Its still atached, but the very edge, as you can see is.
I'm trying to figure out my best course of action to fix this. I can run a weld bead across it, then gring it smooth and paint. Or, maybe easier, use JB Weld across it. Or easier yet, clean it up, convert the rust, paint, then caulk the crack to keep moisture from getting up there.

Anyone out there have a similar repair that worked for them, or advice on the best option.

Thanks in advance!

InTheMitten74

I'm no body man but, my thought would be to remove the lower section and butt weld a new piece of material.

Unless you're not looking for a restored kind of fix?

Oerthedge21

Jb weld and caulk will both crack/fail very quickly, and then trap more moisture and exponentially expand the rot. While you have it off and easily accessible absolutely cut that rot out and weld in new steel. That's the only way to cure rot. Band-Aids will look good for a little while, but once they come apart your problem gets far worse

SteelNinja

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you find someone who fabs metal that would be an easy fix.. They could make a new one . There is an air tool that can fold a new lip seal on the old good area and the fabricated new piece can be welded in good as new.. do once - done right...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks