• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a walking on smooth concrete floor

hammick

My MEP-802a is now installed on my smooth garage floor and exhausted out the wall (please see my other thread if you want to tell me what a bad idea this is).

My concrete floor is smooth so it is walking around a little and tries to walk quite a bit on shutdown. I'm sure the oil and anti-freeze residue from maintenance isn't helping. Once it's warmed up it stops moving but I need to get it rock solid. I've cleaned the bottom of the genset and concrete as much as I can. It runs very very smooth and quiet for an 802 so I don't think anything is abnormal.

The isolation dampers on Amazon look cheap and easy. Do they work to stop movement? I'd rather not drill holes in my concrete floor but will if that is the only way.

Thanks for any advice.

https://www.amazon.com/Diversitech-...00BVEMLR4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

hammick

The pro who did my exhaust install recommended them. I'll give them a shot if nobody can recommend something that is tried and proven. Thanks.

Chainbreaker

Yep, get a 3/4" thick horse stall mat that can be found at most any feed store or farm supply. Not only will it stop it from walking it will also deaden some of the sound. They run about $35 for a 4' x 6' mat.

If you should ever need to cut it down to a smaller size you can use a box cutter. Use a straight edge to score the first cut about 1/4" deep then you want to position the mat with its cut line just past the edge of a 2x4 or round tube placed under it to get the score line to open up then run your box cutter along the open channel and it will cut like butter and is MUCH EASIER & FASTER due to less drag against the blade.

fa35jsf

I think my dad used old tire treads under his 803 but we both also have our gensets anchored down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FloridaAKM

We use the anti vibration pads under 50 & 100 ton (BTU cooling) chillers that never move. 25 years later when they are removed from service, the pads have done their job, still in the same place. Your 802 is substantially lighter, but should work fine. If not, try the horse blanket approach!

technoid

My MEP-802a is now installed on my smooth garage floor and exhausted out the wall (please see my other thread if you want to tell me what a bad idea this is).

My concrete floor is smooth so it is walking around a little and tries to walk quite a bit on shutdown. I'm sure the oil and anti-freeze residue from maintenance isn't helping. Once it's warmed up it stops moving but I need to get it rock solid. I've cleaned the bottom of the genset and concrete as much as I can. It runs very very smooth and quiet for an 802 so I don't think anything is abnormal.

The isolation dampers on Amazon look cheap and easy. Do they work to stop movement? I'd rather not drill holes in my concrete floor but will if that is the only way.

Thanks for any advice.

https://www.amazon.com/Diversitech-...00BVEMLR4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8
Just a word on diesel engines that are not anchored down. From what I have been told by the experts a floating diesel is bad for it's health. It has something to do with internal vibration harmonics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks