• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLU-419 - Instrument Cluster In-op

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've followed the TM and dug into the dash to identify this problem but no success yet. All electrical instrument gauges do no work with the exception of the high beam indicator and no charge light which are controlled by the power/ignition switch. The start relay under the hood had the starter button spliced in to start the unit without dash power but the original harness is still in place. This unit was overhauled in 10' with no signs of rat damage (thank god). I've pulled the dash and traced proper voltage from the battery -> battery disconnect -> power/ignition switch -> combination instrument cluster but no life from any electrical gauge. I do have power to the center indicator lights on the dash above the tach.

I came across The FLU farm's thread about a hidden relay on the alternator that could cause issues but I have confirmed power to the gauge already. Any thoughts?

Reference:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?173645-New-FLU419-Owner-Electrical-Woes

Attachments

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, can't offer any advice here.
But for what it's worth, the charging issue on my Winter SEE has improved, all by itself.

Just like many other ailments on the FLUs, come to think of it. I think the lesson to be learned is that if I leave well enough alone, it gets better.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry, can't offer any advice here.
But for what it's worth, the charging issue on my Winter SEE has improved, all by itself.

Just like many other ailments on the FLUs, come to think of it. I think the lesson to be learned is that if I leave well enough alone, it gets better.
I'm pulling the alternator to check that relay though I don't have an explanation why that would cause such a fault.

SeeNebraska

thread hi-jack...
i just got done repairing all of the rat damage in my harness. the problem now is i don't know where some of the wires plug in on the instruments. for example, the tachometer has 4 spade connectors on it, i have no idea which spade corresponds with wire 36, which corresponds to 31S, etc. the rats had chewed the wires down to the terminals on the tach. does anyone have that marked down on a picture or does anyone have a way to check easily for me?

IMG_20181016_221403745.jpg

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly. But probably only if you got the ether start function working already, and there's a leak.
If you leave the doors open, even that potential explosion shouldn't hurt anything. After all, the windshield is not only secured by the normal seal, but also three wires.

SeeNebraska

Possibly. But probably only if you got the ether start function working already, and there's a leak.
If you leave the doors open, even that potential explosion shouldn't hurt anything. After all, the windshield is not only secured by the normal seal, but also three wires.
shwewww I'll be ok, my ether tube is broken and missing.

peakbagger

View attachment Electrical notes.pdfAttached is copy of my field notes from my rat damage tracing. No guarantees on how readable they are. My writing skills have really gone to seed since I do almost everything on a keyboard. I think what you need is there as I went through the same project before one of the members found the stash of wiring diagrams. Some of the numbers were hard to read on the wiring so I wrote down what I saw. Now that there is wiring diagram available (in the misc. tech manuals forum) you probably can check the numbers on the wiring diagram. If I remember correctly (it was over two years ago), the bank of relays on the driver side outer firewall were not installed in the same position as the manual showed them. They were all there just not in the position they showed them to be.

Be aware that many connections on the tach and speedo have two wires terminating in one connector. The rat mostly messed with the main harness in the center of the dash but also did some gnawing towards the tach. There was no damage on the fancy box that controls the lighting so I didn't mess with it much

Last edited:

SeeNebraska

thanks! do you know which number goes on which of the windshield terminals? I'll confess, i labeled some things when i got the truck 1 year ago but i just used masking tape because i was originally going to fix it rihgt away. A year later and the writing on all the masking tape is gone...

SeeNebraska

ya 3 wires. i think its 621, 622, and 02 (ground). thought it might be easy for someone to glance at the wire numbers since they are visible inside the cab? i can probably figure it out w/ a multimeter though.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks