• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unit Insignia Markings Question....

exhogflyer

So it turns out the Deuce I purchased few months ago doesn't have "real" unit markings on the front bumper ( horrors). How would I go about marking it with " real" unit insignia.......is there somewhere I can look up what might be real? The publications I've seen only indicate "how" to do it but not where to look them up. I'm former AF and don't remember any Deuces so that's no help.
Thanks in advance

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Suggest working this from the top down.

What time period are you portraying?
Are you going to portray Army, Air Force?
What type of unit?
What unit?

If the supply truck for an infantry or armor company, most of these would be the company letter then a 4. A4, B4, C4

Below are some bumper number examples.

Remember what is on the front passenger side bumper is on the rear drivers side bumperette. What is on the front drivers side bumper is stenciled on the passenger side bumperette.

Deuce and 5 ton rear bumperettes would have the division over top of the battalion. (Note that some units stenciled the numbers on tailgates, this is somewhat rare. Note 2 is the 29th Infantry Division used a wide oval in sand with the bumper numbers painted in it.

Bumper numbers were normally sand background with black letters. On rare occasions I've see other colors including black background with white numbers.

Covered this many times on here before but there was a standard but the person painting them on was some private that had to do it as an extra duty for committing some infraction. I've seen front bumper numbers different than the rear. I've seen them reversed. I've seen them so sloppily applied folks got to redo it. I've seen them painted over with spray paint in combat. Although you can screw this up, you probably can't screw it up as bad as a Soldier.

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Oh and you can always come up with what unit and you might have someone on here that can give you rear numbers. I gave someone the numbers for my HMMWV from Desert Storm and they painted them on. I had a deuce from my old unit and carried those numbers because DRMO didn't paint them over.

67Beast

Try deltateamdecals.com. Dave should be able to help you out. I've bought from him twice. Great service. Wealth of knowledge.
Thanks, Yes I can help you out with markings. Like others have said, to come up with a set, start looking at units and the time period you want the truck to represent. Then spend a little time on Google searching that unit. Start with the major unit and look for the sub units within the main unit and keep working work way down until you have a full unit you want the truck to represent. This is often how I do it when people often ask me for markings but don't know what ones they want or the full unit. Stuff like, "My uncle was in the 7th Army in Europe in the 70's and I want the truck to represent that." Good luck and if you need any help, just ask.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks