Thread: Oil pressure NHC-250

Thanks

Default Oil pressure NHC-250

Just swapped out the original oil filter canister with a filter adapter and a Baldwin B96 filter. Previously my oil pressure would be 15psi hot. 70 cold. Now after the adapter Iím running 45hot and 90cold. Iím concerned that Iím restricting the oil flow too much. Am I correct in my reasoning. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 2,026 Times in 974 Posts

The pressure is regulated in the pump. The oil pressure is taken from a galley after filtering. It is possible for the crappy baldwin filter to be normal baldwin junk and the oil is bypassing the filter, cummins will bypass the filter if the differential is too high, dirty oil is better than no oil. Install a known good mechanical gauge and see if it jives withthe dashgauge. Install a better quality filter, Fleetguard, Fleetrite, Cat. Try and avoid baldwin and wix. Just my
    ASMH Volunteer

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

98G (09-15-2019)

Thanks

Thanks. Honestly Iíve always had good luck with Baldwinís. Iíve switched my fleet at work over to them. But Iíll try another brand and see what happens. Where would I check the oil pressure at?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,026 Times in 974 Posts

The next port down or up the rifle from where the sender for the gauge is. And, an FYI, There are no TS trees for "lubricating oil pressure high" from Cummins, only for low oi pressure.
    Last edited by WillWagner; 09-17-2019 at 08:41.
    ASMH Volunteer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to WillWagner For This Useful Post:

m925a1dmax (09-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,375 Posts

Am I reading this wrong, or is he showing increased oil pressure after the filter adaptation, of which the sensor is after the filter? If so, then it seems the new filter is flowing better? I must be missing something.
    CFO @ Portacharger

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 74M35A2 For This Useful Post:

98G (09-17-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 74M35A2 View Post
    Am I reading this wrong, or is he showing increased oil pressure after the filter adaptation, of which the sensor is after the filter? If so, then it seems the new filter is flowing better? I must be missing something.
    Thatís correct. After the new filter adapter I have more then double the oil pressure I previously had with the original canister filter. I need to know the oil flow of this engine.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,550 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by m925a1dmax View Post
    That’s correct. After the new filter adapter I have more then double the oil pressure I previously had with the original canister filter. I need to know the oil flow of this engine.

Here's my understanding and speculation-

Pressure distal to the filter is higher than it was prior to filter changeover to spin on.

It wasn't bypassing before.

Presumably the old filter was full to the point of restricting flow, but not to the point of bypassing the filter. New filter isn't restricting flow and higher pressure is seen on the far side of it as a result.

I have converted a couple of NH250s to spin-on. On mine I did not see an increase in oil pressure. Oil pressure was 90 cold and 45 hot both before and after.

Presumably my canister filters were not as restricted as yours.

The trucks I converted have ran 10,000miles and 7,000miles after being converted to spin on. No ill effects have been noted. That should have been a sufficient sample size to see problems if the filters were being bypassed.

I conclude that you now have a nice new clean filter sending oil in larger quantities at a faster flow rate.