• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M930A2 Hydraulic Issue

bobert2412

I have a 1991 M930A2. It's been fine for the year I've had it. Suddenly, the steering seems bound up, hydraulic fluid is leaking from many connections. Winch, steering assist cylinder, etc... It's like it is over pressuring for some reason.

I have changed the return filter by the main hydraulic tank, with no improvement. What could I check next? Or, does anyone know a place in Texas that could handle that type of problem? I could haul it there, no problem, if I could get it it fixed.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Pressure relief is set at 1750 psi from the factory. The pump can handle 3000psi

Have you installed a gauge line to see what your system is putting out?

Hydraulic hoses are generally rated for 3000psi or more. Most hydraulic systems run 2500psi and they dont leak so you need to know what yours is doing

bobert2412

Pressure relief is set at 1750 psi from the factory. The pump can handle 3000psi

Have you installed a gauge line to see what your system is putting out?

Hydraulic hoses are generally rated for 3000psi or more. Most hydraulic systems run 2500psi and they dont leak so you need to know what yours is doing
I have not. Will try and get that done this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1991 M930A2. It's been fine for the year I've had it. Suddenly, the steering seems bound up, hydraulic fluid is leaking from many connections. Winch, steering assist cylinder, etc... It's like it is over pressuring for some reason.

I have changed the return filter by the main hydraulic tank, with no improvement. What could I check next? Or, does anyone know a place in Texas that could handle that type of problem? I could haul it there, no problem, if I could get it it fixed.

Thanks in advance.

-Bob
This doesn’t really make sense. These are two separate systems, and was all normal for a year until now. Was the truck recently submerged? Do you frequently use the winch or dump? Is the winch leaking all the time or just when the pto’s engaged, and is it pouring out, or just leaving spots while parked. Are you running over 1800rpm with the pto engaged. The steering is a problem, just wondering if you have the typical gearbox drips from the winch. Sorry ao many questions but... you need answers.

bobert2412

No submersion. We were using the dump almost every day. The winch was only leaking around the connections where the hoses enter. The same for the connections to the power steering hydraulic assist cylinder. No on the over 1800 rpm with pro.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so even with the PTO engaged the winch hoses should see no real pressure, unless you move the winch control levers. Also short of the hose connections being loose or a hose blown at the crimp these are fairly reliable connections. Are you certain the steering ram hoses or lines on the inside of the bulkhead fittings that pass through the frame rail are not leaking and spraying a fine stream onto the winch hoses? This may take a soldier B to turn the steering wheel with the truck running while your under the truck with eye protection and a good light to verify.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are all the hoses old enough to start dry-rotting/cracking and causing the leaks? If you live in a dry area and have never changed any of the hoses, now might be the time...

With no pics and no further description to go on, just trying to eliminate the (potentially) obvious....

bobert2412

I appreciate all the help. Y'all are the best in trying to help someone who is lost on a problem. I've found a fairly "local" guy who had the right MOS, and is willing to take a look. Thanks again.

Andrmorr

I know this is an older thread but did you find the problem? What was the fix?
So often these threads list the problem that matches other members having the same problem
but the OP never comes back and gives the update that would have helped future members doing searches for help...

charlesmann

I just had a hose on my boom lift cylinder start leaking at the swedge. Its just time to replace it.
As for your lines, try breaking the line loose and reseating it. Where exactly are the lines leaking from? You might need to bit the bullet a d replace lines, esp if they are starting to crack out.

But as simps said, put a gauge inline to ensure the pump isnt over pressuring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks