• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1956 M135 2-stroke Detroit Diesel conversion

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not into the older Deuces but this one looks like fun and a worthy project to complete. I am not sure what the rules are, so I do not want to post the link to the ad. But if one were to look at
kijiji.ca
and search for "2 stroke detroit diesel" in the region of "Ontario" one would come across a 1956 Deuce and a half 6x6 converted to standard transmission and the naturally aspirated Detroit.

Maybe someone is inspired by the conversion!

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHAT?? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

I think it's a 4-53? That is 212 ci (3.5 l) and it makes 140 hp and a neck-snapping 282 ft-lbs of torque.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not into the older Deuces but this one looks like fun and a worthy project to complete. I am not sure what the rules are, so I do not want to post the link to the ad. But if one were to look at
kijiji.ca
and search for "2 stroke detroit diesel" in the region of "Ontario" one would come across a 1956 Deuce and a half 6x6 converted to standard transmission and the naturally aspirated Detroit.

Maybe someone is inspired by the conversion!
Thanks for posting this up.
That IS a very interesting powerplant upgrade..... HEARING PROTECTION REQUIRED !

Since sale webpages are subject to DISAPPEARING once a vehicle is sold, I have harvested the pics and will post them below.
I am also including the link since this is INFORMATIONAL ONLY and neither you nor I have anything to gain through the promotion or sale of this truck....

Ref: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-car...x6/1453623642?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Pics from that page:
$_59 (2).jpg . $_59 (3).jpg

$_59 (0).jpg . $_59 (8).jpg . $_59 (7).jpg

$_59 (6).jpg . $_59 (4).jpg . $_59 (5).jpg . $_59 (1).jpg

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like maybe a 3-53, whatever, that would be one noisy ride!

DUUANE

I'm thinking it may be a 3-71. the exhaust manifold doesnt look right for a 53. Hydromax brakes. Hydraulic clutch. If its a 3-53 it would be faster to walk. They are reasonable in an M37 but in a deuce? No thanks. A 4-71T would be ok, hood height being the issue. I'll say it quietly so no one gets offended.. d u r a m a x and a 3053a trans. Guaranteed to break everything after the transfer case.:whistle:

rustystud

I'm thinking it may be a 3-71. the exhaust manifold doesnt look right for a 53. Hydromax brakes. Hydraulic clutch. If its a 3-53 it would be faster to walk. They are reasonable in an M37 but in a deuce? No thanks. A 4-71T would be ok, hood height being the issue. I'll say it quietly so no one gets offended.. d u r a m a x and a 3053a trans. Guaranteed to break everything after the transfer case.:whistle:
Forget the Spicer 3053. Just go with the Allison ! With a six speed overdrive that should really make the Deuce fly down the road !

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Screws around the outside of the valve cover should be a 3-53 .

Seems like it would be shorter than the 6 cyl that was originally in it ?

Doesn't seem like the firewall would have to be butchered that hard, I like the hydro boost brakes, somebody has sure put some time into that truck, I like it, I love 2 strokes !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks