• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Two MEP-831a generators in parallel?

Cord

Has anybody tried it? Not sure if it's possible, but having watched a couple of how-to videos showing it being done with a 003, it got me wondering.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe it's possible. Unlike all the other MEP's the 831 in inverter based. Other MEP's can be synchronized by adjusting the engine RPM to get their AC output waveforms synchronized. With the 831's you have no control over the AC output waveform timing.

Guyfang

Staff member
I don't believe it's possible. Unlike all the other MEP's the 831 in inverter based. Other MEP's can be synchronized by adjusting the engine RPM to get their AC output waveforms synchronized. With the 831's you have no control over the AC output waveform timing.

If I had not seen it done, I would tend to agree. But I saw two 831's on a trailer, a PU set. I wast supposed to see what it was powering, nor anything else in that shop, but I did see two sets running and what looked to me like one set being taken off line and another set accepting a load. I will ask.

kloppk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect it's possible to hook two 831's in parallel.
To my understanding the 831's inverter is actually two inverters working in tandem.
When in 120 mode the two inverters inside are synchronized so they can work in parallel.
In 240 mode they operate 180 degrees out of phase and connect in series.

If one knew the electrical details on how the two inverters in the 831 synchronize one could extend that synchronization signal to the second 831 so that both 831's could then be hooked in parallel.
I've looked around but still can't find a schematic of the innards of the 831's inverter.

Guyfang

Staff member
3KW MEP-831A. Nope. Would not want to try paralleling those puppies. For this person I would say; Think about running 2 lawn mower engines on a mower connected with a V Belt. One would try to fight the other.

They have no circuits to parallel and load share, and the engines run a little sporadic.

Kurt,

This is the answer I got from someone in CECOM. So I guess what I saw was not what I thought I saw. I stand corrected.

Guy

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been wanting to see if the timing circuits could be modified to accept an external reference. I have a couple of parts units and its on my list of things to do once I have a few other things scratched off the list.

I need to find a stator for an 831 to make that happen. If anyone has one for a reasonable price please let me know.

m35a22ton

I have just got 2 units up and running! I am debating giving it a shot! I have seen a number of inverter generators ran in parallel both of sam manufacturer and model along with mixed manufacturer and wattage. Any one out there curious to see results?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks