• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M931A1 or M931A2 questions

yotawheeler

Hey guys, I am new to the MV world, I have looked but never actually purchased one for myself. I am currently wanting to go look at a 931A? having spoken to the seller on the phone it sounds like its an older A1 that was refurbished but never received the newer cummins. from what I'm being told it has ABS, CTIS thats been removed, Allison automatic trans and it originally came with the duals and was later converted to singles but then it has the naturally aspirated NHC250. does this sound right?

I am currently up working in camp so for me to go look at it is going to involve a plane ride and about 30+ hours with no sleep....im all for it if i can, just trying to make sure that its worth the trouble haha

truck is supposed to have 50,000 original miles on it and I'm told was rebuilt around mid 2000's but ill have to check the placards when I'm there to verify. $16k CAD (12k+/- USD) sound like a fair asking price?

also, I am not concerned about vehicle size or licensing requirements. I have a class 1 CDL so I'm good for a tractor trailer anywhere in Canada.

74M35A2

Greetings from your neighbors south.

Hierarchy is: 931 (first gen let's say), 931a1 (second gen), and 931a2 (third gen). First gen will be dually wheels in rear, NHC-250 non-turbo engine. Second gen will be single wheels in rear, NHC-250 non-turbo engine. Third gen will be 6CTA8.3L turbo engine, single wheels, and CTIS. ABS was essentially an after-fit to nearly all the models. All are Allison 5 speed auto trans, model MT654CR.

On rebuilds, they did not "upgrade" engines. Same would be replaced with same. You have mixed info of nearly all 3 models, so it could be any. The large 250 engine sounds amazing at idle, and has good low end grunt. The smaller turbo 8.3L has better upper RPM power and fuel economy.

Price is price, something only worth what another will pay for it. In general, they are worth double what they were 6 years ago, but that trend can't be expected to hold or continue. Mileage is more than most, but not crazy. If well kept may not affect too much.

yotawheeler

Fair enough, thank you. I thought that they mostly had the 8.3L turbocharged engine. The older engine should do the trick so long as I can get her to start in the great white north as I have heard they can be cold blooded. It’s going to be mostly a farm truck and I’ll probably drive to some 3 gun matches just for kicks...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They all use an ether start system. As long as you have a well maintained fuel system and good batteries they will start in cold weather. Or add a block heater for around $100. You would want to add a fuel fired heater for the cab being as far north as you are.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your first paragraph, that combination of features isn't plausible.

If it has the NH250 then it is an A0 or A1. It never had CTIS - that's only found on the A2s and the hubs are different.

Differences between A0 and A1 are minimal, aside from the wheels and tires.

The truck almost certainly has ABS. You want ABS since it has an auto transmission. Otherwise if you lock them up it kills the engine, you lose power steering and it jerks the wheel out of your hands and rolls over. ABS is easily identified by the light on the dash near the start switch.

The biggest weak link common to all the 939series trucks is the transfer case. Low range reverse is prohibited. Transfer cases self destruct if placed in low range reverse (this is a slight exaggeration, but only slight.)

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What year was it manufactured?

I’m always leery of someone selling something where facts are an inconvenience. The CTIS and engine swap story is, at best, ignorance on the sellers part. I’d like to think he’s just grossly uninformed and not deceitful. If it’s a rebuild, it will have a rebuild plate installed on the dash or inside the door jamb, (not the little triangle plate, a true plate stating when and where it was rebuilt.)

I have seen people claim that a rebuild receives new engines transmissions and other ridiculous claims. That’s not how it works.

Proceed with caution.

Im not up to snuff on what mileage is normal with these, but isn’t 50k a bit on the high side? Maybe not for a 931. I’ll let others chime in on that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks