• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1962 IHC dump truck opinions needed

Nk2019

Hi everyone, Im looking at a dump truck that my uncle has owned for around 20+ years. Im not too sure what it was used for when he initially got it but I know it has been sitting for a very long time. My grandfather got it going a couple years back to move it from the sink hole it was in and thats pretty much all the running it has done in that time.

Things I know-

It has a gas engine, the body does have a couple rust holes at the kick panel on the cab and 2 small holes on the box from what I could see doing a quick walk around, rear tires are looking pretty wore, and it looks fairly complete plus there is a winch kicking around for it (I have seen it once).

My question is,

Are these models something to keep original or does it really matter? Im not too crazy that it has a gigantic gas hog under the hood, but maybe a diesel swap is something doable?

Just looking at the rear springs on this thing, I can tell operator comfort was not even in the top 100 considerations when they built these trucks. Is the ride so bad that you dont want to even drive it anywhere?

Parts cost, I am thinking with how many years this has been sitting, it will need a full brake overhaul, lots of seals and probably a carb/fuel pump overhaul, so that being said, am I going to have to re mortgage the house to get this stuff? I live in alberta and Im not aware of any dealers up around here but I will have to look into it.

This is not a daily driver or a work vehicle, its just a toy of sorts. I would love to get a cargo truck but I don't really want to spend the coin that people want for them around here. Maybe this is something I work on restoring and keep it the way it is and buy another one when I find it.

What would you do? Restore, modify, run?

Last time I heard my uncle wanted $5000 for it, is that reasonable for it? Keep in mind this is canadian dollars.

Attachments

fasttruck

It is a M51 gas powered truck. If manufacturer is "International Motor Company" with a New York address this is a spin off of the Mack Corporation. IHC in Chicago is the International Harvester Corporation. As for diesel swaps, the Army had kits to convert these things to Continental diesels. You would need a complete donor truck to get the engine and all the linkages etc. out of. If it runs and dumps there would always be some interest for farm on site work but probably for less than 5k. Gassers are always easier to start in cold weather though.

Scrounger

That is a somewhat rare vehicle. It doesn’t look like it has been molested. If it was closer, I would jump on it.

To make this a little clearer. It should be a stoning offence do anything but keep it original.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
To bad your not my nephew and we could work out a solution, but I would not "sell" you the truck. Knowing the labor and capital it is going to take to revive the old Lady. Good Luck in your interest and maybe your Uncle will be happy that you are wanting to save the Truck.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha they ride real smooth when heaped up to the top with gravel. Even gas powered, there is demand for dump trucks for site work etc. $5000 is selling price running with all repairs done. Plan on 6 wheel cylinders which is a huge amount of work to replace.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Alberta, drop a town name in your location line so I know how far I need to tow that truck to get it home. By the looks of the trees you're either near the foothills or up north. The tamarac suggests the boreal forest and the grass says the 53rd parallel. lol. Adding a nearby town lets us know who is closest to assist.

Are you planning on running it on public streets is the big question?

That beast would look so cool pulling up to a car show just the way it is. Your budget, time allowed and goal for the truck could be anything from purist to mad max mod. I dig both extremes but if I'm not mistaken, a truck just like that had a missile mounted on the back at one time. Re-creating a Lacrosse missile or Jolly Roger would be a one off project that hasn't been done for a long time. The options are many so it's real cool to see that truck and watch the possibilities. Thanks for sharing.

One thing we've done for some of the trucks is simple preservation. A quick coat of paint, lube/oil, drain the fuel and turn the motor. I'm certain they want to be driven, have kids jump on their seats and silently hold their story until someone like you comes along. Just a little sand paper, paint and a roller can extend the life of these things for decades and when the budget is low, preserving is an easy and noble thing to do for them.

Whatcha gonna do with that thing?

Nk2019

Thanks for all the replies everyone. After some more looking I see that my initial thought of modifying is short sighted. This truck seems to be all together and really shouldnt be torn into like one that is really too far gone. Maybe i should plan on spending a day taking a closer look at it. I was surprised at some of the parts i found for it online.

Nk2019

Hey m1010, im actually in rocky mountain house. Not very far from you.

I guess if i did buy it i would like to street drive it one day but even initially bombing around the family farm would be good too lol. Given the fuel economy of these things im sure i wouldnt drive it very often.

I have been looking at the vietnam gun truck photos and im quite taken by them. Kinda mad max yet historically accurate. Too bad i couldnt have a quad 50 or a few m60s on it without having every cop in alberta after me lol.

Nk2019

Does anyone know where i can find a tune up list for this thing? I can see how much these parts will be before i jump into it.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rocky Mountain House

Is "Carla's Perogies" still around? Carla was out south on 22 right next to the creek and sold hamburger perogies locally. If you're in Rocky you know Shirley. lol. Good memories out there and you're in fine company. Rod is near Eckville and is one of the hardest digging collectors I know. They were shooting a movie there this spring so the M51 might fit in real nice. I can see it running up to Ram Falls to do some fishing.

What else can we find out about the truck? Any history, decals, data plates, records, where it was used before you guys got it and...especially....any pictures of your family using it? How was it running when they moved it? I know nothing about them or what parts you need so I like to find a starting point.

We have flat ground so we were able to make sure trucks would run, shift and roll before putting more money onto them. Doing a 'rolling restoration' means you get them fired up first. Under absolutely controlled conditions we were able to 'test drive' before we put the trucks on blocks to do the catastrophic parts. Brakes and steering parts are the items that can kill a project so for many, this is the starting point.

Garb some engine pics and belly pics to show how dry or wet things are. Inspections behind the wheels to check for leaks, visual check on any air or fluid lines.

What size are those tires?

One of the cheapest things we did to start is evaluating existing consumables and things that are supposed to roll. Pull the plugs, cap, rotor and points to check condition and part numbers. Start calling around for 'new' cross-over stock and see if there's a supply of "new old" stock somewhere. Check Oil and air filter if there is one.

Pull the valve cover and either make or find a new gasket. Add some oil down the new found spark plug holes and roll the engine by hand. We pull the belts and roll the generator, compressor, water pump as well to check for slop/ resistance/ noise.

I knew I hauled these home for a reason. If you can't find the data on-line in the Technical Manual TM's section at the top of this page, we've got books to look through. Welcome aboard and expect a bald guy showing up to touch your truck.

P9180074.jpgP9180075.jpgP9180079.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M51 use

I poked around a little and found out the M51 was used in project EASE way back in the day. That's a Cold War bunker builder type truck. The green guru boys dropped a bit of history on the different places the M51 may have been located or used. Just mentioning the rare M51 stirred a few guys up and I can't thank them enough for digging through their memory banks.

Thanks to DM for digging up a picture of one with a diesel

m51dmfbdiesel.jpg

....and one without.

m51dmfb.jpg

Just a few comments from the boys that have been around the trucks.

"Gagetown in the late 70s, early 80s timeframe. I believe 22 Field Sqn RCE had them."

"engineers used them i recall seeing them in the 80's"

"By the camo pattern, it's a Canadian one"

"We loaned them to the Royal Engineers in Valcartier from 5iem Genie for road construction training. The regiment (during the mid 70's any way"

"I Line Troop (RC Sigs) had one"

"5 ton gas 1 CER had a few in the heavy equipment Sqn. Early 80s"

Nk2019

I don't recognize carlas perogies, and I havent noticed anything like that on that end of the country, probably been gone for a while now.

HAHA that would look cool bombing up the trunk road, too bad it would cost a small fortune in gas to get there!

I guess my grandfather moved it over to keep it from sinking out of sight, but I didnt ask if it had brakes or not. Ill probably see him this weekend and ask him. Makes sense to get a good feel for a project before jumping head first into it.

Ill have to ask him the history on it. All I can remember from 20 years ago is me drooling over that thing. Everytime we went to the farm I would go crawl around on that truck and pretend to drive it. Thats the history I know of lol.

I guess I should take a bunch of tools and fluids and play with it for a few hours. I didnt get the chance to hear it run a few years back but Im sure that engine sounds mean.

Back during the fort mcmurray fires a guy showed up wanting to "buy" it and take it up to help out. He had some sort of take now pay later scheme figured out but thankfully my uncle and grandfather didnt fall for it.

Nk2019

Wow thats pretty interesting. If you look on the front right edge of the hood you can see it has the maple leaf marking on the hood, so that proves it was in the canadian forces at some point.

Ill see about popping over there this weekend and grabbing some data plate pictures and anything else i can find.

fasttruck

Reference post 9: specs on how to gap plugs and points will be in the organizational maintenance manual. There should be a plate on the right side of the dashboard that lists the TM numbers applicable to this vehicle. Don't make a move without the pubs. Grease is cheap, parts are expensive, be guided accordingly. Advertisers in the military truck mags like Same Winer or Memphis equipment should have parts for this. They used the same brakes until at least 1972, many of the electrical components are common to all M series vehicles. TRhe only real difference between a jeep and a 5 ton is the length of the harnesses, they all have the same lights.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks