• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802 fuel pump failure

dependable

I took my 802 out of container to give it a run, which I try to do every 6 months or so. The lift pump for day tank is not working. I have 24V to its harness plug, so no mystery there.

Just wondering how common this failure is? Unit has only about 20 hrs since re set and the Airtex (new style) pump looks to be almost new. Worked when put away after last run. Seems like an odd point of failure for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I have two ordered from summit racing. Aux pump still works, but figured I'd get a spare.

I'll add that I took it off, sprayed solvent in it, banged on it a bit with rubber mallet to no avail. It does seem to be drawing some current.

Last edited:

dependable

OK, here is an update. On the bench I confirmed the pump was drawing current, so I figured pump must stuck somehow. On bench, with 24V applied, I could hear the faintest sound coming from pump, the normal pumping sound, but barely audible. I sprayed solvent in it while tapping it and the sound got louder & louder until the pump cleared.

Pump reinstalled in generator and it is up and running. The fuel was not that old, but machine has been in a shipping container which has wide temperature swings inside, maybe that caused fuel to gum.

So I ordered some parts I may not need, but would not wanted to have to mess with it in an outage, so I am glad I'll have spares. Maybe someone else can learn from this too.

Guyfang

Staff member
I took my 802 out of container to give it a run, which I try to do every 6 months or so. The lift pump for day tank is not working. I have 24V to its harness plug, so no mystery there. (How did you measure. From ground to pin A? Or from pins A to B? One can also take two wires from the slave recpt. and go to the plug on the pump. Pin A is hot, pin B is neg.

Just wondering how common this failure is? Unit has only about 20 hrs since re set and the Airtex (new style) pump looks to be almost new. Worked when put away after last run. Seems like an odd point of failure for no apparent reason.

Anyway, I have two ordered from summit racing. Aux pump still works, but figured I'd get a spare.

I'll add that I took it off, sprayed solvent in it, banged on it a bit with rubber mallet to no avail. It does seem to be drawing some current.

Guyfang

Staff member
Lots of the guys use Seafoam in the fuel tank to stop this sort of thing happening. The same thing will happen to the injector pumps and injectors, if you don't watch out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks