• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M1088

First I'd like to thank everyone on this forum for all the wealth of info and the patience to help others through their issues. I think I have read every single thread in this section. I finally received my EUC from GP and ran down to Yermo to try and see if it would be possible to drive it home since I only live 80 miles away. Brought 4 new batteries and every tool I own. Batteries were an easy swap, got power to the dash along with a very annoying alarm beep. But no go on the start button. Also no go on the WTEC III display. Figured it must be a bad relay or fuse so I took the cover off to find A piece of note book paper with hand written "DO NOT START" in permanent marker. That sucks, so I went to raise the cab so I could have a look and see if it was something minor like a belt or hose that might be missing. Again no luck, she's being stubborn and we just met... The hydraulic fluid puked out of the top of the ram where it meets the cab with every pump of the jack handle. So needless to say I left feeling sad and scared and arranged for a truck to transport it home. Hopefully nothing major. I've started reading through the TM's which are incredibly helpful to look for a starting point with the electrical. Obviously the hydraulic is first priority so I can have a look at the engine.
1910848_3945_159_0001.jpg1910848_3945_161_0001.jpg1910848_3945_160_0001.jpg

bardicg

Welcome gradechecker48,

I looked up your truck online. Looks like you got a very clean truck. Keep us posted on when you learn and find out about it.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If the cab latch is leaking you can unscrew the end cap on the latch its like 1 3/4 inch. There is a piston in there may take a pump or two to push it out once the cap is off and its usually just a bad o ring. You can use one from a generic multi kit. A good long extension like 2 feet will help you get it back together so you can stand next to the truck and apply some pressure to the cap when screwing it back on. There is a spring in there.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice clean truck! The upgraded clearance lights tell me she went home to Sealy for reset.

Got delivered this morning, put air to the front red glad hand and was able to release the brakes and roll it off the trailer. Looks like they didn't know at GP that you could release brakes that way and used a forklift to put it on the trailer. They bent both of the rear shafts (Links). Not sure what they're called, the 1078 TM's don't have them I guess. Anyone know what these are called. After work I'll start digging in and report back on what I find.links_LI.jpg

Thanks Suprman, $0.99 O ring and up she went (with 2 quarts of hydraulic fluid). Everything on the engine seems to be in place. Belts all looked good, oi level was right where it was supposed to be. So on to the no start issue. New batteries in, got 24v and 12v at the PDP, master switch on and some of the lights on the dash come on. But I did notice that theres nothing on the display of the WTEC III controller, so now I'm thinking theres no power to the tranny or bad controller. That would keep it from starting cause the truck needs to know its in neutral to energize the start circuit right?

Thanks, found the computer. followed the TM troubleshooting in 20-2. power to the computer all checked out. continued to troubleshoot and according to the TM i have a bad TPSS. would a bad controller inhibit the starting circuit

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Yes but the keypad would still light up. I have found the wtec3 computers are easily damaged with jump starting a truck with dead or no batteries. If you have power to the computer and no keypad display chances are the computer is toast. If the tps was bad and the display lit up you could run diagnostics from the keypad it would usually tell you whats wrong.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be thinking wrong but I seem to remember fuses being in that black box under passenger side kick pannel or the black box under dash driver side

Thanks guys for all of your input. Just so I understand correctly and don't go spending money on unnecessary parts. If theres power to the trans computer, and power to the TPSS, but no display on the controller. More than likely means its a bad ECU and not a bad Controller.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may be thinking wrong but I seem to remember fuses being in that black box under passenger side kick pannel or the black box under dash driver side

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Black box is a lights breakout box. I would give it an 85 percent probability you have a toasted trans ecu from someone trying to jumpstart the truck. Unfortunately the voltage spike that causes that usually cooks the ctis controller at the same time.

Thanks Suprman, I jumped the starter solenoid to make sure I at least have a good motor before spending money on components to start and drive the vehicle. It Runs!!! also the CTIS controller works so thats a little bit of good news. Now to find a Trans ECU

Update: trans ECU is the culprit. Thanks to the advice of a member on this forum its going to transmissioninstruments.com for repair. Engine runs by jumping the starting solenoid. All the lights work. Hydraulics all work (Cab / Spare Tire / Suspension). Seems to be a very good truck accept for the trans computer, and the fact that the parking brakes don't work. Service brakes do, so I'll tackle that after I get it stripped down. Today I started dismantling the cab and rear of the truck to start getting it ready for the DIY Habitat I will be building. IMG_1118.jpgIMG_1121.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks