• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas pedal hard to press Normal?

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bought my M998 last month. Pressing the pedal requires lots of lethal strength , not just pressure from foot. Is that normal? I’m going to start checking cable etc today but I’d love some feedback.

Dock Rocker

Make sure that your hand throttle isn’t causing it to bind. If that’s Noel’s it it’s probably at your injection pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Definitely not. If it sat a very long tie the injection pump might be gummed, but this sounds like something else.

Have someone push on it while you inspect visually. If you raise the hood and pull yourself up w the steering wheel you can see some of the linkage. Sounds like an obstruction, maybe bent linkage.

If you can't find it, start posting pictures. Someone will spot something, more than likely.

And welcome to the site!

Bulldogger

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the input. The throttle lock is free and not binding it up. The injection pump is pretty stiff. It’does feel like it bound up but just pretty resistant to move. If gummed up, how would I clean it up?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend some Googling for Stanadyne DB2 injection pump information. There are several troubleshooting and info pages around. I can't remember the source I referred to, so don't have a specific link. I assume your rig has the DB2, it is common to the 6.2L (especially) and most 6.5L as well.
BDGR

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am wondering if this is another issue. When I drive my Tesla or gasoline powered vehicles, the gas pedals are easier to depress. Is it possible that the original post is discussing the stronger springs that are probably used in these vehicles to prevent general enlisted from mashing on the accelerator pedal and causing havoc?

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, without a reference it could just be the difference between a utility truck and civvy truck. I do drive with my leg, not rocking my ankle, so to speak.

We’ll see what our new member comes back with.

Bulldogger

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
The return spring is a bit stronger and peddle has a little more travel on a HUMMWV than say a gas / carburetor linkage engine. Not like today's electronic pedals.

A good HUMMWV throttle cable pull resistance (it is lined) is very very low and of a short length. If it is bent, crushed, as been under the sea or wrapped up on something that's a problem. My thinking would be cable would exhibit both pull and push directions would be gummed up.

Take it off the IP (don't loose the little clip) and work just the IP, then the cable. If that doesn't point one in the right direction check out the throttle pedal binding up at the feed-thru bushing or bent wacky or floor mat hung up or...

time to eat some more Wheaties, CAMO

Welcome to the S.S. Gang.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bought my M998 last month. Pressing the pedal requires lots of lethal strength , not just pressure from foot. Is that normal? I’m going to start checking cable etc today but I’d love some feedback.
The figure 21 in TM 9-2320-280-24P-1 Does not give you the insight to fix it?
Sometimes I should just do the Dog H thing and ask did you read the TM?

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome aboard Sjoconnor. Looking at the TM's should always be looked at to give more insight of any current problems but you have a tendency to see other topics also gaining more knowledge of other systems, uses, or the correct parts or installation has been done.

A lot of the problems may be solved with a general look at the schematics or parts layout, and understanding of mechanical advantage.

Good Luck and there are good responses given by just knowing what mechanical advantage has.

Sjoconnor

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for everyone’s input. I read the appropriate TMs and the diagrams associated in them.

Over the weekend I went through each part from the pedal to the injection pump. I checked for binding and sprayed wf40 where any friction could take place.

The end result was that it’s lighter but as other posters have suggested, the stiffest part is at the injection pump and I will have that looked at. For now I’m happy with the results and will get used to how it’s never going to be like a newer car.

Again, thanks for your help and refraining from slamming a newbie with what could have been taken as a stupid question.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks