• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M101A2 Trailer Questions

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello All.... I recently purchased an M101A2 trailer. I have been actively working on it, trying to remove the rust, repair/replace the tail lights, etc. While working on rust abatement, I noticed that the chassis is an M116 while the trailer is an M101A2. I have read the TM (found on this site) and have found that all M101 Series trailers utilize the M116 chassis. I also read that all M101A2 and A3 trailers have large U-Bolts in the sides of the trailer, front and rear. These U-Bolts provide lift points for new-style cargo body and are located at each of four lower corners of cargo body. My M101A2 does not have these U-Bolts. Is this disparity common? Additionally, my trailer has a rear stabilizer leg which prevents the trailer from tipping over when loading and unloading cargo. Unfortunately, the stabilizer strut is frozen in place and cannot be extended by threading the lower portion into or out of the strut tube. Basically, it will not unscrew. Does anyone have ideas on how to free the threaded portion of this strut?

McGuyver

Lot's of penetrating oil, and work it back forth a little bit at a time while reapplying oil. I've freed up frozen brake levers that way before. Might work on the landing leg too. You might also try kroil...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Loosen-it sprays/compounds will work if you are lucky is our experience with most frozen threaded items like the landing gear leg you describe. If that does not work we have to use the acetylene torch to heat the part, in this case the external tube, to virtually red hot heat. This causes the externally threaded part of the leg to expand more rapidly than the threaded screw inside breaking the rust hold on the two parts. You can then, while very hot, try to move the parts. If you get movement, keep moving it to the point where there is a high resistance and stop. Take it back the other way until a high resistance to turning happens and stop. While the parts cool to ambient temperature hit it with a chemical loosening compound and/or lubricating oil and try turning it as described above. When the part temperature cools to where the compound or oil you are applying does not immediately cook off in smoke, keep applying it because it is now starting to penetrate the part, drawn in by the heat, and do its lubricating job and will wash out the rust as you turn it. The assembly should turn more revolutions every time you screw it in and out and rust should be seen coming out. Sometimes tapping on the external tube with a hammer while hot will help but be careful not to dent it or bend it.
The acetylene torch method will not cause the part to be softer or harder metal constituency-wise if not force cooled with water. Never quickly water cool parts that have been heated, Let them air cool to ambient temperature on their own and you will have less chance of damaging any heat treat in the parts.
I have to recognize maybe most people do not have access to an acetylene torch so hopefully the chemical process will help eventually. We just have the best results with the torch method when parts are really rusted, if it does not work it is basically the last resort and now you are at the point of throwing away the assembly.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M101A2’s do not have the lifting points on the side of the bed.
They used the tie down shackles for lifting onto ships, etc.

The M101A3’s do have them and extra support around the points.
A3 is also wider between fender wells, thicker framing, step down axle and HMMWV wheels, etc.

The M116A2 chassis, with the cargo bed attached, is the M101A2 or A3, depending on modifications.
That chassis was also used to make generator, welding, wire laying, etc trailers.

The M101A2/3’s are the best Military trailer ever made, in my opinion.
Your lucky to have one as their very sought after.

Croft Trailer has the factory parts for the surge brake actuator.
HydroAct is the manufacturer
Dexter for the axle, hubs
Redline for the brakes.
Timken snd Federal Mogul for the bearings.
Surge brakes are awesome when properly maintained.
The brake levers are impossible to find

If the recommendations about the landing leg don’t work, they are available on eBay.
Brand new and inexpensive.

Just had my green M101A2 out yesterday.
My tan one is the workhorse. Use it a lot.
Wish I had several more.

EDIT:
Just saw this M101A1 with lifting(?) points on the bed sides, on an auction site.
EDIT2:
Definitely not factory installed. (turns out they are)

75977F97-CD8D-47AF-A43D-F6E4818C1CB8.jpg

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The m101 trailer family is like a salad bowl. Never quite sure what is in there...

Many varities and specialized trailers in this series.

There was a running change in the last of the m101a2's with a newer style bed with additional ribs and the lifting points. Still retained the a2 bed size and fenders. Some of these beds were retro fitted on a1's.

All the a3's got the new bed with ribs, lifting points, and the wider fenders.

If your leg does not free up, just make sure to look at bracket and length closely when searching ebay as m105 legs are similiar and sometimes mis identified

Attachments

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow.... You guys are GREAT! Your ideas and knowledge seem to be endless. I have the stabilizer leg upside down in my vice and have been applying penetrating fluid to the movable portion of the leg but haven't had any success in getting it to move. Does anyone by chance have an IPL for this part? Is the outer tube (mounted to trailer) a solid pipe with a threaded bore? Is the grease zerk in the top of the leg threaded or pressed into the leg? If removable, perhaps I find a way to pull out the grease and inject penetrating oil. Thank you all for your great ideas...

Guyfang

Staff member
The zirk is removable.
Time. You need to keep the leg wet with some kind of penetrating fluid, for several days. If its not loose, like M543A2 said, heat. This leg is a PITA.

What is an IPL?

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IPL is Illustrated Parts List, basically a breakdown of all parts, internal and external. You stated the leg is PITA. What is PITA Thank you for your reply...

Terracoma

EDIT:
Just saw this M101A1 with lifting(?) points on the bed sides, on an auction site.
Definitely not factory installed.

View attachment 777094
I've seen quite a few trailers with these M105-style lifting points, and they've all been M101A1 trailers with the 5-lug hubs... They might all have been the cargo trailers setup for generators, with the underslung fuel tank and curbside filler neck.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would have never figured that out. I was trying to come up with some Hua Hua High Strength collection of usable words without success. It reminds me of the logistical F-Cubed rule.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen quite a few trailers with these M105-style lifting points, and they've all been M101A1 trailers with the 5-lug hubs... They might all have been the cargo trailers setup for generators, with the underslung fuel tank and curbside filler neck.
I stand corrected.
Learn something new everyday.

McGuyver

My A1 was a generator trailer with underslung fuel tank, but it does not have those lifting point U-bolts.

By the way, the fuel tank is long gone, but I still have the fuel filler neck if some one wants to buy it.

Guyfang

Staff member
We had mostly the trailers without the lifting points here in Germany, in a Hawk unit, my first 10 years. Later, when I was in a Patriot unit, that's all we had.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
IPL is Illustrated Parts List, basically a breakdown of all parts, internal and external. You stated the leg is PITA. What is PITA Thank you for your reply...
OK, learn a new one every day! The legs were a non repairable item. When it rusted up like yours, off it went to the scrap container. When you look at the -24P TM, (IPL) it only shows the compleat leg, and I think the fasteners. It was a High usage item. Mostly because people drove off with them still emplaced.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Until this thread, I had never seen such an early M101 series with lifting points.
Wonder if it was a Unit add-on modification or a spec design change between contracts.

Just makes the M101 Trailer series even better.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hadn't thought about folks driving off with the leg extended. I finally got mine taken apart late last night. The construction was not what I expected. I will try to clean it up tonight and post some pics. As for finding one on ebay, I did search it out and yes, I found one. It wasn't expensive (less than $100.00 including shipping). I considered buying it, but I hadn't as of yet tried with any serious effort to repair the one I had. I mounted my stabilizer leg to my backhoe trailer and got after it with a pipe wrench and torque multiplier (aka - cheater bar). It began to turn when I could put my fat on the bar. I tried this in my shop with the let clamped in my vice, but I was moving the work bench and not extension leg. I figured there was no way I could move the backhoe trailer so that's why it got mounted there for disassembly.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My A1 was a generator trailer with underslung fuel tank, but it does not have those lifting point U-bolts.

By the way, the fuel tank is long gone, but I still have the fuel filler neck if some one wants to buy it.
I was able to sell the complete set up to another member here. If you can pull the brackets & straps underneath for the tank along with the fuel filler and brace, You might be able to offer a package deal. The tank is a stock m37. Others have retro fitted other tank styles maybe s10 but it has been a while....

Guyfang

Staff member
I hadn't thought about folks driving off with the leg extended. I finally got mine taken apart late last night. The construction was not what I expected. I will try to clean it up tonight and post some pics. As for finding one on ebay, I did search it out and yes, I found one. It wasn't expensive (less than $100.00 including shipping). I considered buying it, but I hadn't as of yet tried with any serious effort to repair the one I had. I mounted my stabilizer leg to my backhoe trailer and got after it with a pipe wrench and torque multiplier (aka - cheater bar). It began to turn when I could put my fat on the bar. I tried this in my shop with the let clamped in my vice, but I was moving the work bench and not extension leg. I figured there was no way I could move the backhoe trailer so that's why it got mounted there for disassembly.
I like your style!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks