• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have too Many CUCV's and Parts

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im not sure if this goes in the sale section and Im not sure how to post there anyway so here's my dilemma. I have three CUCV's, an M1009, M1008, and M1031 DRW shop maint truck. I have also acquired a 1994 6.5 turbo/NV 4500, 3500 CC that I was planning to use for a rebuild and engine swap into one of the CUCV's. I have plans for the M1031, the M1008 is way too nice to mod or part out, but the M1009 is not. My Blazer runs good, drives, etc. but the cab has rust on the top and the interior is rougher than I like. What would be the best thing to do with an M1009 that seems to have a solid engine and drive train but has a few rust holes in the cab and missing tailgate? I really hate to strip a running M1009 but I really don't have the time and money to restore it. Anyone have suggestions or a similar CUCV that is good mechanical shape but not so good body shape? Does it make more sense to find someone who needs a good engine and drive train and just junk the rest of the M1009 or sell as is? Im on my 5th CUCV so Im not new to them, just never had one like this with rust holes on top of cab.

Last edited:

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Sell as is, maybe someone will save it. Or if it is real badd then someone will get the parts to save many.

Do you wish to part out? Or just sell as is and save your time for other things? They are not to available in my area and when I can I will acquire for the right cost, tear down and onto the shelves, racks it goes. I have a great hobby in trucks, and parts ownership. :p

Now if I can get the Wife of 40yrs to buy an M3, or M16 well I would be in for 40 more.rofl

Last edited:

krazyk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since mechanically the M1009 seems sound, I hate to see it parted out. It still has the military base markings, paint, M16 racks etc. No mods at all. I would rather someone with more time and money than me save it because I realize they are getting harder to find in original form. If I had less current projects, more money, and more time, I would just repair the cab rust, repair the interior, source a tailgate, and enjoy but its not possible now. It has two huge new commercial batteries and cranks with just a bump of the key. I would rather focus my project money and time on the 6.5 turbo and NV 4500 swap. I will get photos up tomorrow of the cab rust and crappy interior.

I think the 6.5 turbo / NV 4500 are destined for my M1031/M1028 farm truck build.

Last edited:
I was kinda hoping for a photo.

I just can't get my head wrapped around the "too many (insert truck model here) and parts" statement.

What does "too many" look like?

:confused: :-D

Maximalcruncher

Im not sure if this goes in the sale section and Im not sure how to post there anyway so here's my dilemma. I have three CUCV's, an M1009, M1008, and M1031 DRW shop maint truck. I have also acquired a 1994 6.5 turbo/NV 4500, 3500 CC that I was planning to use for a rebuild and engine swap into one of the CUCV's. I have plans for the M1031, the M1008 is way too nice to mod or part out, but the M1009 is not. My Blazer runs good, drives, etc. but the cab has rust on the top and the interior is rougher than I like. What would be the best thing to do with an M1009 that seems to have a solid engine and drive train but has a few rust holes in the cab and missing tailgate? I really hate to strip a running M1009 but I really don't have the time and money to restore it. Anyone have suggestions or a similar CUCV that is good mechanical shape but not so good body shape? Does it make more sense to find someone who needs a good engine and drive train and just junk the rest of the M1009 or sell as is? Im on my 5th CUCV so Im not new to them, just never had one like this with rust holes on top of cab.

Saberr

Just a side note, if the missing tailgate is bugging you alot, just pick one up off a civi k5/ suburban. Just make sure its manual. Can get them for around $80 with good glass. Civi and cucv are exact same, just diff paint. The few bolts to swap may also get you a much better asking price if you decide to sell.

cucvrus

Suburban gate will NOT fit an M1009. And where are you getting complete gates for $80. US? I want a few dozen. It can cost upwards of $1K US to rebuild an M1009 gate with new GM parts. I have done a few. Now I have a few GM parts that are obsolete so I use knock off parts. Finding any old 73-91 GM blazers in the YOUPULLIT around here is no way. They are very popular vehicles for parts.

Saberr

Lol in south Ca there is no such thing as yards any more. Finding my stuff off offerup, facebook marketplace, and good ol craiglist. Surprised, thought suburban gate did work, must of read an incorrect forum post somewhere, my bad.

These just a few that took me a whole 4 minutes of searching with k5 tailgate. Some more than others. Just have to look often to catch cheap good tailgates. Search for Parting k5/blazer to get the better deals.

Bikermichael253

I have a 1985 M1009 CUCV K5 that I have been working on for almost four years. I have installed an NV4500 manual five-speed with hydraulic clutch. I installed a Banks Sidewinder turbo. I had to weld in new floor panels. Basically I have more in this truck than what I could have bought two of them for. I need a rear end because my locker is locking up and a few chipped gear teeth. Two of my wheels are warped a little, so I need two stock wheels. My fuse block got hot and melted 4 or 5 fuse slots. My engine is showing a good bit of blow by and starting to smoke a little. I would be interested your rusted K5 if the price is right. I would also need to figure out how to transport it to Georgia. This is my daily driver and I love it - but if you don’t keep them in good shape; they can cost a fortune to restore.

cucvrus

Come north 8 hours. I will sell you a low mileage 6.2 HMMWV engine, a brand new rear differential in a crate and a wiring harness for that M1009. I am cleaning up and clearing out my stock of CUCV parts. Exit 90 I 81 in Pennsylvania.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Come north 8 hours. I will sell you a low mileage 6.2 HMMWV engine, a brand new rear differential in a crate and a wiring harness for that M1009. I am cleaning up and clearing out my stock of CUCV parts. Exit 90 I 81 in Pennsylvania.
Of course
You and Your area seems to be the golden spot for surplus parts and such.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might take you a few years Rick. Tracking says my gift arrived today. Will check when I get home.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks