• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 831a Fault test not working and strange connector

synelecpb

Not yet - i didn’t have heat shrink ring terminals so i ordered them and then was away until today. Additionally, I’m changing the governor control out to a Kurt K unit, which i just received and am excited about! I’m going to do both things tomorrow; first the wires and test for functions, then the controller board. I’ll update tomorrow afternoon. It’s a holiday so no work leaves plenty of time for fixing. LOL.

robson1015

Not yet - i didn’t have heat shrink ring terminals so i ordered them and then was away until today. Additionally, I’m changing the governor control out to a Kurt K unit, which i just received and am excited about! I’m going to do both things tomorrow; first the wires and test for functions, then the controller board. I’ll update tomorrow afternoon. It’s a holiday so no work leaves plenty of time for fixing. LOL.
What holiday ??

synelecpb

Rosh Hoshana. Light day because many are off.

I completed this today. Both wires go to pin 3 on the start switch. That has restored proper function. the wires were secured under that shrink wrapped bulge with a little nut and bolt to the blue wire in the remote start harness.

I additionally installed the Kurt K. governor control board, and tested - machine is running perfectly and a big thanks to everyone who helped make that happen!

RANGER2D

Hello everybody, new to The Forum, been looking for a while as well, but this is my first post. We have the same issue with a couple of our mep's, particularly the 831a's Luckily I was able to switch out the fault unit with one of our other ones and it works properly, so it's obviously a wiring issue somewhere. I have sanded the ground at the control panel and applied a new ground strap from the motor to the frame to make sure that was not it and I'm still looking. I will post when I find out what exactly the issue was, as I'm sure everybody has the exact same sooner or later

synelecpb

Hello everybody, new to The Forum, been looking for a while as well, but this is my first post. We have the same issue with a couple of our mep's, particularly the 831a's Luckily I was able to switch out the fault unit with one of our other ones and it works properly, so it's obviously a wiring issue somewhere. I have sanded the ground at the control panel and applied a new ground strap from the motor to the frame to make sure that was not it and I'm still looking. I will post when I find out what exactly the issue was, as I'm sure everybody has the exact same sooner or later
Hi,
The team here eventually helped me figure out the mystery; my MEP-831a had been set up for a military ‘remote start’ of some sort. This configuration is apparently pretty rare, but it changes around some wiring and prevents normal operation. The good news is that it’s pretty simple to change the wiring to the standard configuration and get normal behavior from the equipment. It took me many days to figure it out, and 20 minutes to configure the control wiring to standard. This is an old thread, and as said below you’re probably better off creating a new one. Let me know if i can help. I have the unit still and can easily take photos if you need them.

Guyfang

Staff member
Please take pictures and document the set up. When ever you get a new set, and it acts strange, checking wires is not wasted time. And anyone repairing a gen set should use a wire schematic when replace componets. Never just tag wires, and then replace them. If someone else before you wired something wrong, so will you. This is very intresting. Do you think it was milatary who re wired it? Or did you get this set from someone else? Up till now, I can not remember a milatary remote start up for the 831. All milatary gen sets have the capability for it, but it's used very seldom.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks