• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M543A2 Wrecker Boom Maintenence Question

jhooah

I saw in the TM that there was supposedly a square cut out area under the boom (Main boom not extension) where you could get to the packing gland at the rear of the main boom cylinder. Our '67 truck doesn't have the cut out area....
Does anyone have this feature, and is it a MWO to cut one in there?

I'm loosing a lot of oil when I boom out (like full flow) and really would like to get it done without pulling the whole boom arm section out (What a pain that must be)

Have to move a NIKE Ajax Missile and launch rail assembly from one County (donating) to an original Nike Park for permanent display next weekend (will photograph and post)
Filling air in all 10 tires was a real joy, Ihave a dead inner dual to change and a few gallons of engine oil to add to the engine before were ready.
V/R W. Winget

F18hornetM

I have a M543A2 but unfortunately I'm away on vacation. However, I've done hydraulic work for 30+ years. All end glands have to be removed over the rod. Either over the rod end if its a threaded end or if its a welded rod end, the whole rod must come out of the barrel and piston removed and the end gland slide off that end. Either type rod, the end gland has to come off the rod,one end or the other. Of course uncle sam could have made a type of end gland I've never seen before. I would suspect the extension boom would have to be removed.
Hopefully you have a busted hose/steel line in there. Good luck. let us know what you find

jhooah

No, the TM's keep it much simpler than that. (they just can't illustrate that darned access hole I'm mentioning), I may have to cut in the bottom of the crowd boom open...not the main boom. Extend it all the way out, a "window" or open area for inspection/adjustment should become visible. I suspect ours is an earlier production being '67, and it just wasn't put in the boom, hence the question of others with the same wrecker setup, do you have an access opening when the boom is extended?
I'll have a go at looking for photos with crowd boom extended, maybe I can see it in one.
V/R W. Winget

TM 9-2320-211-34-2-3 Page 17-511

17-39. BOOM CROWD CYLINDER PACKING REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT.TOOLS: No special tools requiredSUPPLIES: Preformed packingArtillery and automotive grease, type GAA, MIL-G-10924Brass barPERSONNEL: TwoEQUIPMENT CONDITION: Truck parked, engine off, handbrake set.CAUTIONWhen operating the crowd control lever so as to extend the boom, be careful not to jam the crane block into the boom sheaves. Pushing the crowd and hoist control levers away from the operatortogether will eliminate this possibility and will cause the cable hook to maintain a constant distance from the boom head as the boom is extended.
a. Preliminary Procedures.(1) Start engine . Draw out inner boom until boom crowd cylinder packing nut can be seen. Refer to TM 9-2320-211-10. (WELL I LOOKED AND THERE"S NO ILLUSTRATION OF THIS THERE...WAW)(2) Stop engine . Move boom control lever back and forth to take hydraulic pressure off cylinders . Refer to TM 9-2320-211-10.

(The packing removal while still on the truck with boom extended)CAUTION Handle piston with care so that piston rod is not scratched or scored.1. Loosen packing nut (1) and slide it back on piston rod (2).2. Pry out packing (3) using a brass rod. END OF TASK

(The FIX!)Put a coat of grease on packing (1) and piston rod (2).NOTE: Packing comes in sets. Each ring is split to allow easy installation. Be sure to stagger joints around piston rod to assure a tight seal.
Put new packing (1) on piston (2).Using a block of wood or a brass bar carefully push packing around piston rod.Slide packing nut (3) down and tighten to 1/8-inch clearance between packingnut and cylinder head (4).Follow-on1. Start engine.NOTE Maintenance Action Required:Draw back inner boom and check that piston rod does not leak.END OF TASK2. Stop engine. Refer to TM 9-2320-211-10

Page 17-517 has the whole crowd arm boom and cylinder removal (and more details of the packing) there is a nut inside the cylinder allowing the while assembly to be rebuilt, no cutting needed there, but that's a worst case job. WAW

F18hornetM

Wow that's the first hydraulic cylinder I've heard of with an end gland seal or packing like a boat shaft. Except this is under way more psi than a boat shaft. Very interesting. like I said wouldn't put it past using something I haven't seen. I'm sure the nut inside the cylinder, or barrel is the piston nut. Which holds the piston to the rod. Terminology is confusing sometimes to. Pretty slick they made it so you could reseal the end gland without removing from the rod. Take some pics if you can, guys at work would love to see that as we rebuild cylinders all the time. But obviously not on a M543A2. More like bucket trucks, digger derricks , trenchers, excavators etc
My M543A2 is also a 1967. It'll be 2 more weeks before I can look at mine. Keep us up to date. And good luck.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks