• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-005A Generator Needs Help

Morris

Low oil pressure cutoff switch? I bought a new one and no help there. The Low oil pressure light keeps coming on regardless. Now my two (2) electric in-line electric fuel pumps stopped working without warning. What would cause this out of the blue? I'm spending hundreds on this MEP-005A and getting no where. Please help if you can my friends.

Morris

Happened to me also. Now I got In line electric fuel pumps that will not work for some reason. Anyone got any suggestions on that. I'm spending hundreds on this ole girl and not getting any where. It worked 100% 3 months ago. I thinking about selling it if I can find any in South Georgia that wants to take it on. ?? Any help is appreciated.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I moved and combined your multiple post about the same issue.
Also created a specific thread for you.

Posting in different threads about same issue is not allowed.
Reread the forum rules.
Next time an infraction will be given.

Download the TMs for your model generator and use the search function to find other threads about your issue.
Reading old threads will also help a lot.
You will find answers to questions you haven’t even thought of yet.

Any surplus item that runs on fuel very very rarely will not need any work once in civilian hands.
Spending hundreds is common to make the unit reliable.

Morris

Thank you for this opportunity. Let me first say that this incident happened when Hurricane Michael hit South Georgia as a Category 2-3. It devastated folks in this area. Keep in mind that rural area was deprived of EMC power for 7 days total. Nevertheless, here we go. We initially lost power here at home on the first day of getting hit, so I powered up the MEP-005A. The unit was ready with fresh diesel fuel topped off and the oil level was perfect. Unit was reliable for about 21 hours and was getting replenished with fresh fuel every 4-6 hours. Then without notice the unit powered down as if it was losing fuel. Fuel level was above 1/2 and was topped off regardless to rule out a faulty fuel gauge. Attempted to power back up without success.

After several attempts I gave up and the batteries were getting weak. Went through the remainder of storm without any power. After the storm I did everything just a competent novice beginner would attempt and getting nothing. I then went on an area search trying to find a diesel mechanic with some familiarity with military generators using the media and numerous phone calls as well as face to face attempts. I finally found a friend that works on diesel willing to help as much as possible. He first bled all the lines going to the injector and replaced all fuel filters and bled lines once again. No luck. All this time the low oil light was glowing. Resetting panel lights were of no help. I then ordered a new identical oil pressure switch from off Ebay. This also did not resolve any problem. Next we ordered a new Oil Pressure Panel Gauge as well as a New MEP-005A Diesel generator day tank solenoid. We had already tested the oil pressure with an external gauge via turning the engine over and got a reading 50, so replacing the Oil Pressure Panel Gauge was just a trial and error step.

After installing the day tank solenoid, mechanic still could not get engine to crank. At that time, he removed the air filter and let it get a quick sniff of a rag where he had squeezed out gasoline and it immediately started. We let it run at about 1/2 throttle for 20 minutes or so and it ran beautiful to every beat and oil pressure gauge read a solid 60 or possibly over pegged the needle. Now the bad news. Mechanic shut generator down and was never able to get it restarted, even using the gas sniff. After several hours he checked the two 24V electric fuel pumps. He says oddly that both are not producing any fuel (Facut brand name) at all. Is this possible or is the another culprit possible. I already have enough money invested to buy my wife a new Ford Fiesta literally. My mechanic says he wants to re-valuate this coming weekend before sending me on yet another several hundred dollar shopping spree. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I can shed some light on the matter. I have three of those generators. I had the same problem, but it was not the switch or and electrical issue. on two of my units the Roosamaster Injection pump had a bad shaft seal. it was allowing diesel to dump into the crank case. it was not a huge leak, just enough to dilute the engine oil and drop the pressure causing a trigger of the switch. I had to pull the injection pumps on both and send them to be rebuild\t on both of the units, the shaft seal is horrible to install, its a u shape that with out the proper tool will not seat and will fold over. That was my issue, the oil was getting contaminated by diesel fuel leaking from the injection pump. M

After that and a total oil change I never had the problem again. I have all three hooked up with Parrelling cables so I can combine their output to run some heavy three phase loads.

Morris

My MEP-005A also has a Roosamaster Injection pump. I have recently changed the oil and there was no indication that the oil had and contamination at all. The low oil idiot light has almost always been off when the engine is up and running. The light is always on though when the engine is turned off or attempting to crank. After it cranked, the light would disappear. I have never seen the pressure under 50 or 60 and that was when we attached an external gauge to rule out a low pressure problem. What is the normal oil pressure reading on your three generators?

Thanks for you time and please advise and any other advice will be appreciated. I'm just an old US Army retired (1988) 1SG and my MOS was a 97B and that is about as far away from a motor pool as one can get. :) The only time out of that field was on a Huey UH1H back in Vietnam in the latter part of the 1960's. Also, is the MEP-005A a self fuel self priming Generator? I'll be listening out for you friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guyfang

Staff member
A Spook!

First off, have you downloaded the TM's?
Have you read through the troubleshooting?
Can you read schematics? Can your mechanic?
Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

Lets try a few simple things. I hope you have charged your batteries.

1. Push the CB1, (circuit breaker on the right side, Main Power if you will) in.

2. Turn the S2, (start switch) in the run position.

3. Flip up the S7, (Battle short switch). The DS7, (battle short light) should come on.

4. Do you hear the B2 & B3, (two electric fuel pumps) come on? If yes, let them run for 5 minutes. Try and start the gen set. Will it start?
a. If it starts, run it an hour, to see if it will shut off again.
b. If it wont start, do steps 1-3 again. Then go to the IP, (Injector Pump) and on the top, where the main fuel line goes in, and loosen it. Do you get fuel coming out, and I mean not just a few drops. If so, try and start the gen set. Will it start?

4.1 If you do not hear the B2 & B3 pumps come on, unhook the two wires that go to the B2 & B3.
a. Take a piece of wire, and go from the positive side of the starter, to the B2 wire. Will it pump? Then try the B3. Will it pump? If so, hook them back up.

Try that, then let us know what you get. Remember Top, the only dumb question, is the one not asked!

Guy

Morris

Got it. Hope you got my email. As you can see, I am a "Night Owl". I going to try to get this all done Sat. or Sunday if the mechanic shows. Hope you got my email message. I think I got the feel of the site better now. Keep me in mind my friend.

Guyfang

Staff member
Sure. But I always helped the processes by cracking the #6 injector line, at the injector. That way, when someone else is cranking the gen set over, someone else keeps an eye on the cracked line. When fuel starts to spit out, the engine will start to run up, and you tighten the line. Presto, bled. You can do it alone. But as soon as the engine starts to run up, turn it off. That way, no mess. Then tighten the line up.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you for this opportunity. Let me first say that this incident happened when Hurricane Michael hit South Georgia as a Category 2-3. It devastated folks in this area. Keep in mind that rural area was deprived of EMC power for 7 days total. Nevertheless, here we go. We initially lost power here at home on the first day of getting hit, so I powered up the MEP-005A. The unit was ready with fresh diesel fuel topped off and the oil level was perfect. Unit was reliable for about 21 hours and was getting replenished with fresh fuel every 4-6 hours. Then without notice the unit powered down as if it was losing fuel. Fuel level was above 1/2 and was topped off regardless to rule out a faulty fuel gauge. Attempted to power back up without success. After several attempts I gave up and the batteries were getting weak. Went through the remainder of storm without any power. After the storm I did everything just a competent novice beginner would attempt and getting nothing. I then went on an area search trying to find a diesel mechanic with some familiarity with military generators using the media and numerous phone calls as well as face to face attempts. I finally found a friend that works on diesel willing to help as much as possible. He first bled all the lines going to the injector and replaced all fuel filters and bled lines once again. No luck. All this time the low oil light was glowing. (This is normal, when the engine is NOT running. Don't worry.) Resetting panel lights (Fault indicator?) were of no help. I then ordered a new identical oil pressure switch from off Ebay. This also did not resolve any problem. Next we ordered a new Oil Pressure Panel Gauge as well as a New MEP-005A Diesel generator day tank solenoid. We had already tested the oil pressure with an external gauge via turning the engine over and got a reading 50, so replacing the Oil Pressure Panel Gauge was just a trial and error step. After installing the day tank solenoid, mechanic still could not get engine to crank. (By crank, do you mean turn over? Or start and run?) At that time, he removed the air filter and let it get a quick sniff of a rag where he had squeezed out gasoline and it immediately started. We let it run at about 1/2 throttle (DO NOT, REPEAT, DO NOT, RUN THE SET AT ANYTHING OTHER THEN RATED SPEED. Failure to do so, can cause damage to your AC Volt Regulator, or exciter system) for 20 minutes or so and it ran beautiful to every beat and oil pressure gauge read a solid 60 or possibly over pegged the needle. Now the bad news. Mechanic shut generator down and was never able to get it restarted, even using the gas sniff. (do not use gas sniff methods. This is not good for an engine) After several hours he checked the two 24V electric fuel pumps. He says oddly that both are not producing (pumping you mean. Do they run? or run without pumping fuel?) any fuel (Facut brand name) at all. Is this possible or is the another culprit possible. (the likelihood of both quitting at the same time is very small. How did he test them?) I already have enough money invested to buy my wife a new Ford Fiesta literally. My mechanic says he wants to re-valuate this coming weekend before sending me on yet another several hundred dollar shopping spree. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Morris

My mechanic said to ask you if had any trouble with the pickups (line that goes into diesel tank) in the diesel tank because he says that the fuel is foamy. He said is there a way to straight wire (jump) the electric fuel pumps so that can run constant. He cannot hear if they are running while trying to crank the generator. He says he cannot hear because while cranking the motor he can't tell if they are trying to energize. Most of this is out of my field but I just typed as he talked. :roll:

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Might help if your mech read the TM's a bit. Under normal operation, the day tank float control the operation of the electric fuel pumps. So if the FL2 dosnt tell the day tank solinoid to open, the pumps will not pump. That's why I wrote for you to put the S2 in the run position, put the S7 in the up position. And listen to the pumps. You can hear them, because the engine is not running. The S7 overrides the FL2 and forces the pumps to run.

Morris

Just as soon as I can possibly get him on the phone. He lives ever so far from here. Thanks my friend. We may be able to make Big Progress. Am at the mercy of getting him here. He works at a Ford dealership and has many other folks waiting for him on the side lines for him to work during weekends.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks