• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New MEP-005A Generator Needs Help

Morris

Info forwarded to mechanic

Just as soon as I can possibly get him on the phone. He lives ever so far from here. Thanks my friend. We may be able to make Big Progress. Am at the mercy of getting him here. He works at a Ford dealership and has many other folks waiting for him on the side lines for him to work during weekends. I sending the schematic as an attachment. You got it going on Gufay. :grin: I got the TM's on download only. Too Big to forward to him.

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take some pictures of the engine compartment and post them. Specifically the day tank, fuel pump, fuel filters

Morris

We got the Generator started today. Mechanic wants me to wait a full 24 hours to try and crank it again to see if the diesel bleeds back down the lines. He says that is most concern at this time now. Says if it doesn't that he will consider it fixed. We shut it down several time and left it off for 10-15 each time and it cranked OK. I guess the next 24 hours is critical.

Morris

Mechanic got the MEP-005A cranked. He wanted me to ask you what the "ether" is on the diagram. He looked the system over big time trying to figure out if the generator has a ether starting aid kit similar to what some farm tractors have. If it does, where is it located.
Second and final question: Might you possibly know what the original part number is for the oil pressure gauge on the instrument panel for this generator? We have one on it but it is not original and does not work correctly. And where might get the correct one? Thanks

Guyfang

Staff member
Morris,

Good to hear it's starting and runs now. Would like to know what corrected it. Yes, there is a ether starting aid on the set. Or should be unless someone removed it. It's on the left side of the set. It's rather small. If you can't find it, look in the -24P, then you know what it looks like. I personally never use ether. To easy to inject too much into the engine. Bad things can happen. It for cold weather starting, and you don't live where it's cold. If the fuel bleeds back down, you have to find the place air is getting into the system. There is a check valve in the system. It's screwed into the injector pump top. Sometimes removing and soaking it in something to remove the lacquer, helps. When I get to my computer, I will look up the part # for the gauge, if no one else can.

Morris

Hello My Friend,
Someone must have removed the ether kit cause it is gone. Mechanic came over yesterday (Friday) afternoon and ran the Battle Switch for about 5 minutes as had been recommended then got up and cracked the #6 line and I ran starter over about 30 seconds and it busted off. Let it run about 45 minutes or so and cut it off. Went back outside about midnight and it cranked right away. Then went out about noon today and it started right up and I let it ran about 15 minutes. She seems alright now. How long does your MEP-005A run on one tank of fuel? I appreciate the help from you and other members. I'll be listening out for you later on the
part # for the oil pump gauge. No one else has given it up. Thanks again my friend. I call Germany frequently as I friends in Sindelfingen just outside Stuttgart. If you will give me your city number and telephone number via my email that you have, I ring you up, just tell me a good time. You are 6 hours ahead of me here on EST. Thanks once again my friend. I'll be checking my mail often to hear from you.

Zed254

Start your part search here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?154446-All-the-TM-s-you-need-to-work-on-the-MEP-005A

Look at TM 9–6115–465–24P. Open it up and do a search using the magnifying glass icon. Search 'oil pressure gauge'. Nada. Search 'oil pressure' and you get this:
8 6 PAOZZ PAOZZ PBHZZ PAFZZ - .050 6620-01-005-4879 INDICATOR, OIL PRESSURE EA 1 1
69-576-1 30554
505AS 57733

The bold number is the NSN.....and it's wrong. Part target calls it a Die, Dimpling: https://www.parttarget.com/5110-01-...ption=nsn&originalsearchtext=6620-01-005-4879

However, you've got some part numbers listed. Check parttarget for those parts to see if you can find the correct NSN. Here's a good list under 30554:
https://www.parttarget.com/sku_3055...4&callid=c8707829-b815-47c5-b0f2-66076ced5ecd

Wander on down the list until you find a Indicator, Pressure. Click on the NSN and you will see it describes a pressure indicator that could be what you're looking for. Check end use items and your generator is listed there: 100kw and 200kw units.

https://www.parttarget.com/6620-00-...-2.html/-12924E14-A66F-4652-A6FC-2E7FC493CF74

I think you are looking for NSN6620-00-005-4879. Search the net for this NSN and the various part numbers listed by parttarget.

Compare what you find with the one on your machine. Then search under the specifications....24volt, 120psi pressure gauge. You may find a better price. Make sure the gauge matches the specifications of your sender.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Zed is completely right. NSN: 6625-01-017-8765, Part numbers 69-576-1 and 505AS. There is also another Part number: GG0532 and a part number used by the French Militarily, but we don't need to go into that.

Zed, whenever you deal with a 004A, or 005A gen set, it pays to look up the info in the other book. In the 004A book, the correct NSN is listed. The two gen sets books are world famous for having mistakes in them.

The attached document is a list of meters the Faria company makes. The NSN: 6620-01-017-8765 is on the list. Contact info is on the last page of the document.

6620-01-017-8765 Indicator Pressure DOD 69-576-1 GG0532

View attachment fml-002-0001_B_Faria_Military_NSN_guide.pdf

Guyfang

Staff member
Start your part search here: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?154446-All-the-TM-s-you-need-to-work-on-the-MEP-005A

Look at TM 9–6115–465–24P. Open it up and do a search using the magnifying glass icon. Search 'oil pressure gauge'. Nada. Search 'oil pressure' and you get this:
8 6 PAOZZ PAOZZ PBHZZ PAFZZ - .050 6620-01-005-4879 INDICATOR, OIL PRESSURE EA 1 1
69-576-1 30554
505AS 57733

The bold number is the NSN.....and it's wrong. Part target calls it a Die, Dimpling: https://www.parttarget.com/5110-01-...ption=nsn&originalsearchtext=6620-01-005-4879

However, you've got some part numbers listed. Check parttarget for those parts to see if you can find the correct NSN. Here's a good list under 30554:
https://www.parttarget.com/sku_3055...4&callid=c8707829-b815-47c5-b0f2-66076ced5ecd

Wander on down the list until you find a Indicator, Pressure. Click on the NSN and you will see it describes a pressure indicator that could be what you're looking for. Check end use items and your generator is listed there: 100kw and 200kw units.

https://www.parttarget.com/6620-00-...-2.html/-12924E14-A66F-4652-A6FC-2E7FC493CF74

I think you are looking for NSN6620-00-005-4879. Search the net for this NSN and the various part numbers listed by parttarget.

Compare what you find with the one on your machine. Then search under the specifications....24volt, 120psi pressure gauge. You may find a better price. Make sure the gauge matches the specifications of your sender.
Or buy a matching Oil Pressure Sender with it.

Morris

Thanks, the one on my Generator is incorrect. It is a 24V for a jeep. I do not have the original one to compare. That has become a big problem of a sudden. I been following your advice suggestions but no luck as of yet. I'm hoping my Friend "Guyfang" can come up with the correct NSN number. My Mep-005A is a 30kw. I probably will just telephone parttarget the first of this coming to try and get a lead. I fell rather well that "Guyfang" will locate it. He is in Germany and 6 hours ahead of me but I only sleep about 2 1/2 hours every 24 hours period and therefore, am awake when he is on. He has already stated that when I gets to his computer, he will look up the part # for the gauge, if no one else has by that time.You will know when I get a hit Zed. All you fellows on this site are super. I'm just slow after 9 strokes in a 4 year period and Parkinson Disease on top of that. Take it from me, that is a bad combination. How hot is it in Virginia today? It is 101F outside right now here in very southern South Georgia. I got a 3.5 acre pond and the wife says it is about 2 acres now and one could walk across it. No rain whatsoever in last 3 1/2 months. Take care . .

Guyfang

Staff member
Thanks, the one on my Generator is incorrect. It is a 24V for a jeep. I do not have the original one to compare. That has become a big problem of a sudden. I been following your advice suggestions but no luck as of yet. I'm hoping my Friend "Guyfang" can come up with the correct NSN number. My Mep-005A is a 30kw. I probably will just telephone parttarget the first of this coming to try and get a lead. I fell rather well that "Guyfang" will locate it. He is in Germany and 6 hours ahead of me but I only sleep about 2 1/2 hours every 24 hours period and therefore, am awake when he is on. He has already stated that when I gets to his computer, he will look up the part # for the gauge, if no one else has by that time.You will know when I get a hit Zed. All you fellows on this site are super. I'm just slow after 9 strokes in a 4 year period and Parkinson Disease on top of that. Take it from me, that is a bad combination. How hot is it in Virginia today? It is 101F outside right now here in very southern South Georgia. I got a 3.5 acre pond and the wife says it is about 2 acres now and one could walk across it. No rain whatsoever in last 3 1/2 months. Take care . .
Morris,

In post #29. I gave you, aa8and Zed also gave you in post #28) the right NSN and Part numbers. I also gave you an information sheet from a company called Faria, that might be able to help you. Call the phone number, its on the last page. The 004A and 005A both use 95% of the same parts.

Morris

Guyfang My Friend,
I have received two emails says I got posts from you but when I click on the steelsoldiers provided links it takes me to the link Zed posted earlier. I've never seen anything so weird. Maybe I should turn off my computer and restart it? I found this way to contact you via your user name and following through it to be able to reply to you. Did you get my question about how long a full tank of fuel should my me during continued operation? I going to restart this baby and see if that is of any help. Don't forget, I could also call you. Is now I good time. I just now got you email. Thanks . .

Zed254

Thanks, I been following your advice suggestions but no luck as of yet. . .
OK. Go to Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/

Type in the search term: 6620-00-005-4879

Look at the list of hits and select the oil pressure gauge.

For a 2nd search type the search term: 69-576-2. That will bring you directly to the only one I've found.

Then you NEED to get your nose back into the manuals to confirm you need a 120psi gauge. I thought your machine was a 100Kw unit: Wrong...AGAIN. Anyway, Guy has access to better data than I do and he confirmed that this is the part you are looking for. We both may be wrong. It's up to you to confirm all data and information before spending your hard earned $$$.

Good Luck....especially with the drought. We haven't had any rain since the Trop Storm blew through.

Zed254

New approach: let's take a look at one of these generators that recently sold at GovPlant. https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/...,sm|1,k|MEP-005A,mf|1&rr=1&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Click on picture and head over to picture 24 of 78. If this machine looks like yours, then this is the OEM oil pressure gauge.

It looks like this: https://cdn.ironpla.net/i/1878/791/1878791_6443_105_0001.jpg

24 volts, 60psi.

Search Ebay for "60 psi military oil pressure gauges" and you get several to select from. This one looks interesting "military vehicle 0-60 psi oil pressure guage ms-24541-2". Search on the part numbers listed for a cheaper offering. Run the numbers through parttarget to find other part numbers. I still have not found MEP-005A listed as end use equipment.

Also search on this NSN: 6620009388212 once you have confirmed it is a valid NSN through parttarget.

Last edited:

Morris

Solution Found

Guyfang your post right here is what got my MEP-005A running. EVERYONE gave great and sincere advise but in my case, running the Battle Short Switch for 5 minutes before bleeding the line worked for my problem. We never even dreamed of running the Battle short switch for such an extended time. I was ready to dispose of my MEP-005A and this site was my last attempt as finding anyone in this area with knowledge of a Military Generator is an impossibility. I went to posting ads & the media with no success. I not saying we don't have and good mechanics here in South Georgia because we got plenty, just not willing to work on an alien.
Here is the bottom line . . You Folks out there are Making A Difference putting out your personal time, expertise and resources saving you neighbor of many obstacles that block their days and many nights trying to fix their dream machines or machines that might provide their daily incomes or many unimaginable every day headaches robbing them of valuable time. Just ask a family member of one of these folks looking for a solution. Thank you Ladies and Gentlemen of the steelsoldiers.com.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Morris,

I thank you. And everyone here in the forum thanks you. We all learn something when its all over. That's what make the Forum so powerful.

I have said a hundred times, and will say it again. I should thank you for allowing me to do one of the things I love to do. Make generators run right.

You should get at least 8 hours running time to a tank. The reason I cant tell you the approx time is because we never allowed a gen set to go longer then 6 hours without refueling. The person who let that happen, lost lots of butt material, from the whole chain of command. That's not to say it didn't happen. Its all about load. If the load is high, the fuel consumption is a bit higher. That's why we did 6 hour checks. Don't forget you can hook up an Auxiliary fuel source. Say a 55 Gal drum.

Morris

That one shown on the unit at GovPlant is 100% what I will need. That Generator was sold and looked rough. Did further search with them and they had 2 other units that looked incomplete as well as missing half of its parts. Yes, the first link was in Fayetteville, NC at Fort Bragg, NC. I retired there in 1988 and worked with the Fayetteville PD about 6 years and then came back close to where I was born. Ebay doesn't has anything at the moment. I got a saved search with them in case one comes up for sale. Thanks Zed.

jmenende

Happened to me also. Now I got In line electric fuel pumps that will not work for some reason. Anyone got any suggestions on that. I'm spending hundreds on this ole girl and not getting any where. It worked 100% 3 months ago. I thinking about selling it if I can find any in South Georgia that wants to take it on. ?? Any help is appreciated.
How much psi do i need to replace this pump?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks