• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy with wiring question MEP-803A

k9medic

I flew over to the Bahamas yesterday to drop off more supplies and was able to get a quick look at my electrical box and power panel yesterday.

Somebody was kind enough to take the tree off of it. Now I can see where the actual meter is connected closest to my house with the circuit breaker box.

Not sure why there are such large amperage breakers though. I am the only house on this box and the house is less than 1000 ft.²

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheAlfredo

Can't tell from the photo how many Amps. Service Entrances always have higher amp ratings than is used in the house. My house has a 200Amp service entrance. Your biggest power draws will be your electric stove, electric water heater....any pump will have an initial high current draw...and then a lower running load. You just need to be conscious of what each appliance uses, and don't use them all at the same time. But you want to try and keep your Generator running at over 50% to prevent wet stacking. Just turn your A/C thermostat all the way down so that the Compressor stays on and doesn't cycle on and off.

TheAlfredo

You can look on the manufacture information stickers....it will give you the amps drawn. Motors will have Starting Amps and Running amps (well pumps, pool pumps, air conditioners, refrigerators). As items get older...they could draw more than the stickers say. Buy yourself and amp meter....or 2 (make sure it has peak hold/Max hold...so you can see the inrush amps for motors). Once you have your generator hooked up....start with all your breakers off. Turn the A/C on and see how much it draws (write it down). Turn it off and go to the next item.....this will be your guide to know what combination of appliances you can have on at the same time. Hope this helps and makes sense.

Chainbreaker

I flew over to the Bahamas yesterday to drop off more supplies and was able to get a quick look at my electrical box and power panel yesterday.

Somebody was kind enough to take the tree off of it. Now I can see where the actual meter is connected closest to my house with the circuit breaker box.

Not sure why there are such large amperage breakers though. I am the only house on this box and the house is less than 1000 ft.²

Since the picture with the (4) 200 amp breakers are located on the backside of the service transformer my "GUESS" would be that the other (3) breakers are unused and are there for future expansion (perhaps a default minimum installation?) should there be additional development at adjacent properties. Are there any undeveloped lots nearby?

k9medic

That would make sense. My house is the only house in the area and I have vacant lots on all sides. What is considered my driveway is actually a "Crown road" that has overgrown at the end and been closed off to the opposite street.

Chainbreaker

I would first consult with your local utility company & ask what they recommend to hook up a 10 kW generator given your situation since you said its going to be a year or so before power is restored.

If you determine you cannot fit a generator interlock in your house breaker panel, then perhaps there is a way to install a generator interlock kit in your meter panel? There is also a device that is sold that installs behind the meter that allows plug in generator access. However, as I recall, they are pricey and limited on the amount of amperage they can accommodate but that may be fine given your house.

Otherwise, you looking at a "DIY connection hack" and that is your call. Whatever you do... do it safely for yourself & others!!!

k9medic

Thanks Chainbreaker. If this were in the states then I would. On the island, nobody has seen a government official in over a month. BPL hasn't even come on the island yet to look at the damage.

I've got some time thankfully. I'll go back over in November and take care of it then. Hopefully by then we will have a better answer as to what electrical outlook will be like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks