• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep M38A1 radio

exhogflyer

So I recently purchased a 1953 Jeep M38A1 that I'm in the process of working on. Vehicle is all there, NO rust, just fixing the usual issues it had from sitting ( no brakes, gummed carburetor,garbage batteries).
It has a rather large radio mast in the left rear corner, and the guy I bought it from said it used to have " big radios in the back". He said he removed them and GAVE them to a friend so they're gone, but I'd like to put them back ( non working is ok). Would anyone know what might have been in the Jeep, and where maybe I might find them? Someone I know said it may have had an AN/GRC 5 or 9, but my research turns up nothing.
Thanks all!
Gene

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need to do some archeology to figure that out. Start by locating all the drilled holes in the rear area of the Jeep, and posting pictures or a diagram of them. Then we can let you know what sets would be mounted in those locations. A1's mounted a multitude of radio sets.

My M38 had a DY88 dynamotor with a GRC9 when I had it. it had a huge mast and the whole setup weighed 120 pounds. I still have the GRC9, but the DY88 is missing from my garage.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would ask the 1st guy to put you in contact with the 2nd guy, and he could tell you what they were.

Wile E. Coyote

AN/GRC-3 thru 8 radio sets are huge. If the M38A1 had one of those, it would've been in place of the back seat mounted crossways. USMC did that...Army may have too...but it's not that common. Common setup would be AN/VRC-8, 9 or 10 which is the RT-68 transceiver with the PP-112 power supply along with the mounting tray, and that bolts on a back fender. Some had just the AN/VRC-7 which is a short-range setup (actually also forms part of the GRC-3 thru 8 sets as well) which was an RT-70 mounted on top of an AM-65 power supply/ interphone amp and its mounting tray. While that would technically give you intercom capability also...it wasn't used in the jeeps.

There is a ton of that family of radio gear around which can often be had working. Fair Radio sales usually stocks most of it, and there's tons of it regularly on Ebay. Audio accessories are LS-166 for the speaker, M-29/U for the microphone and H-33*/PT for the handset. Mics and handsets are starting to get rarer (and pricey) but they're out there. Be advised that if you have some buddy or something with a "whole bunch of handsets and headsets in the garage" or whatever -- chances are very good that they'll all have the wrong connectors for the VRC-8/9/10 stuff and likely belong to the later family gear.

exhogflyer

Ok guys, I wanted to thank everyone for the help and to post and update. I was able to get an RT-66, a PP-112 power supply, and also a MT 299 mount. Not sure if they work and I don't really care at this time.
Winter project will be to install them and clean up the interior and new seat cushions.
IMG_1164.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok guys, I wanted to thank everyone for the help and to post and update. I was able to get an RT-66, a PP-112 power supply, and also a MT 299 mount. Not sure if they work and I don't really care at this time.
Winter project will be to install them and clean up the interior and new seat cushions.
View attachment 782449
let me know if you need the signal corps drawings of the wood mounting blocks and location on the sponson.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have looked everywhere and I cannot find the drawings. No big deal though, the wood blocks are 2x4 true dimension white oak blocks that are the same length as the 299 feet. You will see that the 299 hangs over the sponson, these blocks accommodate that. The mount should allow about an inch between the back of the radios and the Jeep side panel. The 299 should go as far forward on the drivers side sponson as possible, allowing clearance to the back of the drivers seat.

papakb

Anyone who needs these drawings can send me an email address in a PM and I'll be happy to send them in reply. I digitized my originals probably 20 years ago.

Crapgame

Anyone who needs these drawings can send me an email address in a PM and I'll be happy to send them in reply. I digitized my originals probably 20 years ago.
Are these the same as the dwgs posted on the G503?

Is there much demand for CNC cut FM-85 mount flats for GRC-9 use on M38?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks