Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Befor I screw something up (maybe)

Sergeant
    Thanks

Default Befor I screw something up (maybe)

Just replaced the inner wheel seal on the front passenger side, had to drive it out with the 6' pipe method. Have not put the tires back on yet and the old gal is still on jack stands. The question is: Should I be able to turn both wheels by hand? Can turn drivers side and could turn passenger side until I put the flange back on...............now it will move only a hair back and forth............Did I screw something up or is this normal?

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 567 Posts

Do you have the front axle engaged with the transfer case switch? That would keep it from turning.
    Trucks: 43 Willy's MB, 52 M37, 71 M35A2 w/w, 84 M936, 85 M923A1, 85 M929, 84 M925
    Trailers: 86 M105 W/ CBC, 92 M105A2, 08 M200A1
    Gen: 03 MEP-803A, 01 MEP-805B
    S-280 Shelter

Sergeant
    Thanks

No.............and transfer in netural.

MVPA
    37751E
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 749 Posts

You should be able to turn both wheels when both are off the ground, as you describe. The flange holds the outer end of the half shaft (driveshaft) and forces it to turn together with the wheel hub. Did the half shaft slide into the differential without issue? I am trying to visualize how it could sit in there crooked, but I have never had that happen. Can you turn the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle by hand/with a screwdriver inserted through the u joint?

I would pull the flange, verify by rotating the drum that it is not the brake drum stopping the movement (on either side of the truck), pull the half shaft, spin the wheel on the driver side , then re-insert the half shaft, mount the flange and expect that it will move now as intended.

If it does not, I would double check that the transfer case is indeed in neutral and that the front axle is indeed disengaged.
    Last edited by cattlerepairman; 09-26-2019 at 11:50.
    MVPA member. 1974 M35A2C w/w "Queen Lola", rebuilt LDS-465-1A, "D" turbo, Waterloo Overdrive upgrade. Med towbar, 11.00R20 Goodyear G286, flipped hubs, remote brake fluid reservoir, spin-on filters, bypassed FDC, LED taillights, LED headlights, LED turn signals, WESTACH EGT/boost gauge, AVM lockout hubs, LED convoy light, LED lollipop lights, HMMWV seat on air ride base, M211 dash passenger grab handle, hood lift kit, 24V solargizer/battery minder, ether start kit, flasher module mod, heavy duty dog bone ends, M35A3 aluminium fuel tank.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a try.....................the half shaft slid in with no problems............will start with the flange............

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cattlerepairman View Post
    You should be able to turn both wheels when both are off the ground, as you describe. The flange holds the outer end of the half shaft (driveshaft) and forces it to turn together with the wheel hub. Did the half shaft slide into the differential without issue? I am trying to visualize how it could sit in there crooked, but I have never had that happen. Can you turn the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle by hand/with a screwdriver inserted through the u joint?

I would pull the flange, verify by rotating the drum that it is not the brake drum stopping the movement (on either side of the truck), pull the half shaft, spin the wheel on the driver side , then re-insert the half shaft, mount the flange and expect that it will move now as intended.

If it does not, I would double check that the transfer case is indeed in neutral and that the front axle is indeed disengaged.
    Followed you suggestion, had to pull the half shaft again, pulled it out about an inch, rotated it 5 or 10 degrees, slid it back in and all is right.

thanks!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 47to70 For This Useful Post:

cattlerepairman (09-26-2019)

Thanks

Trying to figure out how or why that would make a difference. At least you are good to go. I am about to replace all of the seals on one of mine. Luckily I don't have to do the boots on this one.
    1972 M109A3
    1970 M35A2
    1971 M35A2 (sold)
    1991 M998 w/6.5 (sold)
    1995 Field Kitchen
    2013 HDT Nordic Air 18k BTU
    2011 Fremont MEP-803A

Sergeant
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fpchief View Post
    Trying to figure out how or why that would make a difference. At least you are good to go. I am about to replace all of the seals on one of mine. Luckily I don't have to do the boots on this one.
    Me Also....................replaced my front drivers side inner seal last year so should not have to do the front ones for awhile...................as am sure you know, those front seals can be a &%*#$.

Thanks

chilled my inner seal housings with freon as they were laughing at my 10# slide hammer which usually rules all, prob burned $20-30 worth of r134 but it got the job done, found perfect combo of 3/4 drive sockets and extensions to drive it back in
    image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpg

11. The Following User Says Thank You to winfred For This Useful Post:

cattlerepairman (10-05-2019)

Corporal
    Thanks

Not sure if it would work for anyone else - and it was an idea I have seen on SS somewhere - but I drilled a hole thru a 4x4 and used a nut on a threaded rod similar to what you have there to pull mine out. Came out easy with no beating on anything. You need a nice big washer or flat steel plate with a hole on the wood block. Placed the block across the knuckle. In your case it might have been harder since the studs are in the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast