• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Befor I screw something up (maybe)

47to70

Just replaced the inner wheel seal on the front passenger side, had to drive it out with the 6' pipe method. Have not put the tires back on yet and the old gal is still on jack stands. The question is: Should I be able to turn both wheels by hand? Can turn drivers side and could turn passenger side until I put the flange back on...............now it will move only a hair back and forth............Did I screw something up or is this normal?

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the front axle engaged with the transfer case switch? That would keep it from turning.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be able to turn both wheels when both are off the ground, as you describe. The flange holds the outer end of the half shaft (driveshaft) and forces it to turn together with the wheel hub. Did the half shaft slide into the differential without issue? I am trying to visualize how it could sit in there crooked, but I have never had that happen. Can you turn the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle by hand/with a screwdriver inserted through the u joint?

I would pull the flange, verify by rotating the drum that it is not the brake drum stopping the movement (on either side of the truck), pull the half shaft, spin the wheel on the driver side , then re-insert the half shaft, mount the flange and expect that it will move now as intended.

If it does not, I would double check that the transfer case is indeed in neutral and that the front axle is indeed disengaged.

Last edited:

47to70

Thanks for the suggestions, will give them a try.....................the half shaft slid in with no problems............will start with the flange............

47to70

You should be able to turn both wheels when both are off the ground, as you describe. The flange holds the outer end of the half shaft (driveshaft) and forces it to turn together with the wheel hub. Did the half shaft slide into the differential without issue? I am trying to visualize how it could sit in there crooked, but I have never had that happen. Can you turn the drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle by hand/with a screwdriver inserted through the u joint?

I would pull the flange, verify by rotating the drum that it is not the brake drum stopping the movement (on either side of the truck), pull the half shaft, spin the wheel on the driver side , then re-insert the half shaft, mount the flange and expect that it will move now as intended.

If it does not, I would double check that the transfer case is indeed in neutral and that the front axle is indeed disengaged.
Followed you suggestion, had to pull the half shaft again, pulled it out about an inch, rotated it 5 or 10 degrees, slid it back in and all is right.

thanks!

fpchief

Trying to figure out how or why that would make a difference. At least you are good to go. I am about to replace all of the seals on one of mine. Luckily I don't have to do the boots on this one.

47to70

Trying to figure out how or why that would make a difference. At least you are good to go. I am about to replace all of the seals on one of mine. Luckily I don't have to do the boots on this one.
Me Also....................replaced my front drivers side inner seal last year so should not have to do the front ones for awhile...................as am sure you know, those front seals can be a &%*#$.

winfred

chilled my inner seal housings with freon as they were laughing at my 10# slide hammer which usually rules all, prob burned $20-30 worth of r134 but it got the job done, found perfect combo of 3/4 drive sockets and extensions to drive it back in
image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpgimage7.jpg

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it would work for anyone else - and it was an idea I have seen on SS somewhere - but I drilled a hole thru a 4x4 and used a nut on a threaded rod similar to what you have there to pull mine out. Came out easy with no beating on anything. You need a nice big washer or flat steel plate with a hole on the wood block. Placed the block across the knuckle. In your case it might have been harder since the studs are in the way.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a two arm puller with the arms turned to the outside to slip through the hole and hook behind the carrier and grab it. Then I placed a piece of steel across the axle opening for the center screw rod to push against. Pop. Done.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks