• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CAT 3116 A/C pully not really needed? LMTV FMTV

Ronmar

My understanding was that he did it both ways without issue. He showed both ways for the benefit of viewers. Did he say he had issues with hydraulic??
He blew up his steering box, literally... Split the case from top to bottom due to excessive hydraulic pressure... He got it working eventually, but I would pose the question, while driving 10 tons of minivan killing death on a stick down the highway, do you really want to add potential failure to the non-redundant steering system? There are safer ways to do this IMO...

Someone was nice enough to provide a bracket to him to make the change to belt drive and he did...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
He blew up his steering box, literally... Split the case from top to bottom due to excessive hydraulic pressure... He got it working eventually, but I would pose the question, while driving 10 tons of minivan killing death on a stick down the highway, do you really want to add potential failure to the non-redundant steering system? There are safer ways to do this IMO...

Someone was nice enough to provide a bracket to him to make the change to belt drive and he did...
Because he didn't have a clue about hydraulics. A proper priority valve with a pressure relief would have been fine. But I agree a belt is best.

Reworked LMTV

He blew up his steering box, literally... Split the case from top to bottom due to excessive hydraulic pressure... He got it working eventually, but I would pose the question, while driving 10 tons of minivan killing death on a stick down the highway, do you really want to add potential failure to the non-redundant steering system? There are safer ways to do this IMO.
Well, he had a plumbing issue and inexperience with hydraulics. You don't have to run the power steering and a/c pump in tandem and I would not do it. I still think it is an interesting idea.

Ronmar

Yea, it was interesting and he said he learned a lot from it. Perhaps if it was done off of the transmission PTO or some other standalone hydraulic pump, but I think there is too much risk/liability mixing it with the steering.

ramdough

298-1308 special order
Is that for a 3116, 3126, and c7? The cat website lists that one for C7, but does not mention the other engines.

I did a search and found this one 106-7404 but not sure if that is correct one for an ac compressor. It is for a 3116 and 3126E.

On a side note, I like the dual belt pulleys better because it gives you options for one or two belts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

farmerklaassen

I did not mean that the tire would touch, I was talking about the mud, rocks, and general off road wet conditions. I live in the country on dirt roads and commonly drive my truck as a daily driver in all conditions.

farmerklaassen

The wheel can not even touch it even at max turn and articulation up. Truck goes offroad alot as is. You could always choose a smaller compressor of your choice
I did not mean that the tire would touch, I was talking about the mud, rocks, and general off road wet conditions. I live in the country on dirt roads and commonly drive my truck as a daily driver in all conditions.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Then add a rubber shield or flap around it. That is a simple fix. The inner fender liners near cover it up but additional drapery wouldnt be hard.

ramdough

Is that for a 3116, 3126, and c7? The cat website lists that one for C7, but does not mention the other engines.

I did a search and found this one 106-7404 but not sure if that is correct one for an ac compressor. It is for a 3116 and 3126E.

On a side note, I like the dual belt pulleys better because it gives you options for one or two belts.

Anyone know the answer to these questions?

scottmandu

Nope the belt would slip on the driving pulley with that little wrap around. It might be possible with the serpentine arrangement but not V belts. You also don't want to tension V belts on the back side.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks