• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

55 in a m1070

JphOshkosh

Working on the purchase of an Oshkosh M1070. Getting all my questions answered thanks to many reply’s from this forum. About to make the jump. Just drove one. Perfect with one caveat. 45 mph max. I made the mistake of assuming it was a limit for safety reasons when pulling the heavy loads. My use will never pull any loads. I will be revolving the 5th wheel. I assumed I could run 55 as a bare tractor and be ok. Did NOT realize the 45 is governor controlled. Sure enough, it peaked at 45 and 2080 rpm. I don’t need 55 a lot actually but the occasional interstate route would be handy. SO —-
Can anyone suggest a work around? Re-programming, fooling the governor, etc. ? Don’t want tear anything up but??? During my test drive I got passed by an Amish buggy. Any ideas or experiences shared will be much appreciated. Thanks again. JphOshkosh

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
45 mph is about it from that machine. It's not cost effective to regear it so next step is to put on larger tires. Unfortunately 16.00's are already on it so you'd be looking at buying a new set of civilian tires if you can find something but you'd need to do the math on how much space you have to play with and if the change in diameter will gain you the speed you want. I don't have experience with changing the governor on that engine but knowing the 8V92 they like to operate wide open. With already atrocious fuel mileage (1.2-2 ish) you'd drop that even lower if it can be run at a higher rpm.

If you feel like being a pioneer and have money to burn you can do a transmission swap like mentioned in this thread, but at that point why try to reinvent the wheel? Buy something else or enjoy the slow ride.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?176986-M1070-HET-Suitable-for-Toter-Home-Conversion

Gunzy

Don't try to change the governed engine speed, that will cost you an engine in the end. You may be able to remove the planetaries in the hubs and some how direct spline them, that would bring up the speed.

snowtrac nome

Those have 92 series ddaciiii engines I would bet they are speed limited electronically my experience though is the 92 will only top out around 2125 with out doing internal damage to the engine, but because its a 2 stroke engine it sounds like its turning 4 k.

Hummermark

I thought I read on this forum that you can get different gears for the hub reduction in each wheel to get higher road speed.
i also remember seeing a m1070 for sale with what the advert said higher gears in all the hub reduction.
can any one elaborate on this ie how much and where to them and what road speed you get with them?
as a foot note on the link in the above reply the person said his steering was twitching at 45 mph mine was like this it was also set up not according to the manual I used a digital magnetic gauge on the rear steering drop arm to set as in tm drove nice and true at 48mph no wandering after I did that.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks