• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question-will a 1100lb 803A operate successfully on a steel 1,400lb load garden cart?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Vibrations would be pretty bad for that cart. While it can handle the weight, that's a lot of vibration. The ones like that I've seen also tend to start rusting apart pretty quickly, so I wouldn't trust the 1400 lb rating other than the first year or so. Since it's going to be stored inside most of the time it should hold up a little better. Just make sure to keep the tires fully aired up and check them somewhat regularly, they have a lot of surface area for their volume and tend to go flat more often than larger tires. If one tire goes flat, or both on one side, it might be enough to slide the generator off, or even tip everything over if you aren't paying attention.

If space in the barn is an issue, then the Gorilla cart might be your best option. I'd put down a sheet of plywood to help spread the weight/dampen vibration, and maybe a piece of rubber stall mat as well.

I dunno, something about that particular axle design, and no bracing of any type just doesn't sit right with me. Trailer might be perfectly fine, but definitely not the type I like.

If it was me, and I had the space, I'd be watching craigslist for cheap older trailers. I see 4x6 and 5x8 older trailers start around $200 or so for mid to poor condition, or unlicensed, but for just moving it around the farm it would be safer. Lower to the ground and wider make it a whole lot harder to tip. Occasionally trailers show up for under $100 if in need of serious work to put them back to road legal/safe condition, but a slow speed move around the farm they'd work well enough.

For $300 there are trailer like these ones available:
https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/tro/d/new-holstein-trailer/6983179858.html
https://sheboygan.craigslist.org/grd/d/west-bend-utility-trailer-firewood/6986414693.html

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Coug,

If I could buy you a beer, I would!

You articulated and confirmed all my concerns.....

Then you took the time to look up trailers in my neck of the woods!

Thank you very much!

Chris
No worries. I just know for something this size/weight/importance I'd rather have massive overkill (provided it's still easy to move around) rather than the bare minimum.

69birdman

Trailer

I agree with Coug, that trailer's too narrow, it would be pretty top heavy and if tires failed on one side it probably roll over.
Search your local sales for a used trailer. I picked up a 4x8 harbor freight folding trailer for $100.
Bolted it together permanently (non folding) welded 2 - 3/16" 6"x8' sheets of steel on top and bolt the skids to it.
I can move it around my property with my lawn mower.

Attachments

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I agree with Coug, that trailer's too narrow, it would be pretty top heavy and if tires failed on one side it probably roll over.
Search your local sales for a used trailer. I picked up a 4x8 harbor freight folding trailer for $100.
Bolted it together permanently (non folding) welded 2 - 3/16" 6"x8' sheets of steel on top and bolt the skids to it.
I can move it around my property with my lawn mower.
I was going to recommend these & warn of tipping as well. If you're looking for something to just move around your yard & take short trips with. Harbor Freight Tools always has 20% off coupons. Even at it's new cost, it would work well. Harbor Freight Tools also sells a hand trailer dolly thing that would be great.

Let us know what you decide on. Always nice to see the ideas people come up with! It took me a year & 3 different trailers to make up my mind for my generator.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/t...MIh_jegab25AIViJWzCh24qQ6zEAQYAiABEgKfdfD_BwE

I have 2 sets of generator axles and wheels for 805 / 806 generators I am selling. I am selling out my entire inventory of items. These work great for slow speed application and they have a wide tire spacing so they won't roll over easy on a slope. Just not cheap to ship! Wish I could bring things to the GA Rally but I would be hauling for days!

roger1MZ

69birdman, it's a great cart I should say. Couple of months ago, I've took my best dump cart for lawn tractor and made from it almost the same trailer as you have. One of the main things for them is to be reliable and easy to use in specific needs, isn't it? And even if it's made out of polypropylene plastic, it still can be pretty robust.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks