• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint on CUCV frame

CUCV1008

I took the bed off my M1008 to clean and paint the frame and saw the current paint was flaking off in a few spots. I was not expecting to see shiny black paint underneath the flaking paint.

Did CUCVs have CARC painted on their frames too? I have searched all over but only see CARC references to body panels.

Thanks

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is my opinion that that black paint is the same black paint used on all GM truck frames mil or civy at the time.

cucvrus

CUCV's did NOT have CARC from the factory. The frames were painted when new with a fairly good grade chassis black paint. I have had a few of the frames sandblasted, epoxy primed and painted with great results. But NO CARC was used on frames during original assembly at Flint. Have a Great Day and Stay Safe.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I always use chassis black for daily use on my trucks. I get good adhesion after power washing. Depending on what my goal is and how much protection I am looking for. On the rust areas I use a zinc coating first.

For a total rehabilitation as cuvrus has said sandblasting and total new covering.
With all the new products out there epoxy based paints have very good adhesion and surface hardness. I used epoxy paint on my Ford NAA tractor rims and will not have to touch again. I also remove any hot rivets that have become loose and grade eight nuts, bolts go back. I have two front shock rivets that are driving me silly right now on
my 82 K30.

What ever you choose prep work goes a long way towards a lasting finish.

cucvrus

What ever you choose prep work goes a long way towards a lasting finish.

That is the truth. Prep work is 99.9% of the finished product. You can paint a turd and it can have a good smooth coat of paint but in the end. Well you know what you have. Do it right the first time and never look back. It's a simple task. Good Luck. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks