• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-805B 30kw wont stay running

mcii

This is a brand new set, I unpacked it from the original crate and foil wrapper papers, only time is/was 2.8hrs testing time before Govt acceptance then packed and stored for the last 18 years.
I checked it over replaced the batteries, added 10 gallons of fuel ..It started and sounds good. Now comes the situation, it will not stay running ... Cranks starts and very quickly goes into fault of over speed or low voltage. In starting is does not overspeed as it never reaches a steady state or IMO completes the actual starting process, keeping the rotary starting switch engaged as we most often need to do for the 5 & 10kw sets does not effect or keep it going. it simply shuts down... T

These sets have the Stanadyne pumps whereby no fuel levers or arms are accessible where a person can override the pump once the pumps signal power is stopped and you could, my words, sorta run the set by hand to look for other conditions. I have an extra GAC controller that I am near just temporarily going to wire in and at least run the set for a period of time, I don't expect it to solve my real shutdown cause, its more a feel good thing for me.
The front control panel does have a NETWORK failure lite/indicator, this is lit and glowing

Recall please there is a main I/O backplane board where several modules are affixed, the Speed Controller, Voltage Regulator and Paralleling unit. On that same back plane are 2 groups of 8 LED signal/condition for 16 total, these indicate various conditions go and no go so to say. One of these LED indicate a CMOS low voltage condition, I am thinking this is a low memory battery condition, but I have removed the CIM and opened it up but find nothing that looks like the typical CMOS back up battery I am used to seeing. I also am concerned what has happened or not happened while this set has sat boxed and never used once on the past 18 years..

While I have the -14 manual to help with trouble shooting, I have looked for the -24 but didn't see it, if it
is here on our SS site, please share with me and I will go look again.

I welcome help and suggestion please, thanx much.. mac/mc

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this a Marine corp set? Does it have silicon/anti tamper on every fitting?

check the wires that go to the fuel actuator.

check the magnetic pickup

change fuel filters.

what are the rheostats set at on speed control?

Last edited:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac,

as to the CMOS BAT, this is a lithium Battery - because of the 18 years of sitting, it never got charged - see diagrams - is your date and clock off too?
If so, then lithium Bat is either defective and is probably solderd onto the board or needs to be charged for several hours

Also, you may have lost the BIOS Settings usually stored if Battery goes dead

This means you would have to override the board default bios settings with the ones you need for the software version you are running

this requires boot to bios

CMOS BAT.jpg

CMOS BAT 2.jpg

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I am not completely mistaken. then this is the integrated lithium battery as it is exactly next to the Voltage Regulator Circuit
sat520plus_300px.jpg

mcii

Update. I feel like I have exhausted my technical ability here to sort out this set and its fault conditions and make it a running functional set. We as a SS community just don't have enough of these in our membership for enough of us to develop trouble shooting experience yet, As the MEP-1000 sets keep being supplied to the users, more of these will become available .. But in this instance I have decided to abandon the CIM and all the digital support package. And revert the set back to stand alone support modules in this instance a new voltage regulator, governor controller and a new operating control system. Last year this same time I had a new 806B with a failed CIM support system, I did the reversion to individual components and it is still in service for that user. These are just too good of sets to be left out of being serviceable because of the digital package failing.. More as it develops. mac/mc

mcii

Zed thank you for this info I have printed it out and found a lot of good information, I'm sorry I am late seeing this response, again thanx much. mac/mc

mcii

155mm I have tried these good suggestions to no avail, today 10/4/19 I did set up a new outboard GAC speed controller and the set ran near perfect, course only about half the CIM controls worked, but all the operating indicators did work well, in this process I did use a load bank and the set easily carried 33% and didn't flinch .. its frustrating that I cant get it all syn'd back up and under full CIM/Digital control. My looking at the CMOS aspect as well likely loss of near if not all original OS during the past 18 plus years, programming loss has to be weighed with a real likelihood I'm not even close to playing with a full deck here toward making this dog hunt. Thanx again for the good suggestions, more if it changes.. mac/mc

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mac,

This is what I kinda figured. The battery can be easily replaced and the mother board can be connected to any standard +5V CPU Supply on J13 and with the correct adapter cable from Winsystem's you can hook up any VGA/SVGA Monitor on J15 and Mouse on J14 and Keyboard on J9

The J numbers I am referencing here are from the motherboard, not the MEP DC Wiring Diagram

Once the motherboard is connected, hit F2 Key to enter the BIOS when your initial Flash Screen Starts - The Logo Screen can be turned off or replaced with any 16 Bit 640 x 480 *.BMP Image which has been converted through available software converter to PGX Format

The real issue is to find out the correct BIOS settings, especially the IRQ settings for the COM Ports and Parallel Ports which are your CIM P/J Connectors J20/J27 and J29

Untitled.jpgUntitled2.jpgUntitled3.jpgUntitled4.jpgUntitled5.jpg

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get tired of it, bring it to me. Not too smert on the programming side but i know a guy.

and be patient, i only have one hand for a few more weeks

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To retrieve the correct BIOS Settings we would have to find a fully operational CIM with exactly the same Hardware and Software Version in it as yours,

The mother board has to be removed from the CIM and connected as I described in previous post #12

Once we are in the BIOS each setting would have to be written down as the BIOS settings cannot be copied with out a Floppy Drive - this is pre usb days

This motherboard has an AMD CPU equivalent to the old 486/Pentium CPU running on 133 MHz - so you can hook up a 300 MByte hard drive and floppy - it will run DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, WIN2K and CE besides early LINUX Versions

same as any PC in the 90's

mcii

Thanx Guy, we're getting further into this dog and the backplane where you have located the Batt for me.. This is an older or near if not first CIM release, all monochrome ..odd how many functions go sideways when we loose battery support. Im pulling the CIM and going to review as much as we can to see how much can be restored. mac/mc

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess a few more won’t hurt

Azonix or Winsystem motherboard, 486 or Pentium makes no difference - same I/O map

1C9B59A6-7FBB-4813-BAD3-3AE7B26F80D1.jpg264DA589-E789-423E-9EA0-CD3306EC7049.jpg95C58F89-AF57-48F9-8C54-D92761AA1B6F.jpg6E9BE8FB-E448-4B4D-BB6D-EEC54AD730DC.jpg

83885CF2-046A-4B50-A5F5-DC4C5B70DD1F.jpg7E3B1AA4-6F4D-46AD-8352-D406CC86A166.jpg2E2EAD9D-783B-48D8-8A87-3BCB2A5755C9.jpg9B01A299-4123-42F7-B7C4-17C2A3D3E3B4.jpg223C0572-A021-45F0-AC3B-005254F15FD4.jpg372A4071-7445-4978-8244-D7EED2FECE80.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks