• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

McSpeed

We sold our 27' Salem travel trailer this year. Would still like to do some camping on the cheap. Thinking about putting some plywood in the bed of the truck and setting a tent there - seems like a popular thing these days.

Anybody doing this? I have some camp grounds in reasonable driving distances and of course can cheat and have power and good parking in the camp site. Of course, I can pop the tent on the ground - but camping out of the truck seems like a bit more fun (plus don't have to sweat the cold wet ground).

BLK HMMWV

You must like camping in a small tent.
Not sure how many people " We " includes but unless it's you and an imaginary friend .
On the cheap is two sleeping bags side by side in the bed " if they fit" and a plastic tarp stretched over you in bed.
Perhaps a M101A3 trailer with the bows and canvas would be better idea?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I used to use my Durango and LandCruiser for stuff like this. Two inch pink plastic housing insulation cut to fit the floor/bed. The kind of stuff you get at Home despot in long planks. NOT the fiberglass roll stuff or you will get itchy and harm your lungs. On top of that I placed futon mattress and warm blankets and sleeping bag and electric heater if I was at a campground with a plug-in. If not, you need warmest sleeping bags so you can crack your windows to prevent ice accumulation as frost on the inside of your vehicle windows. I used to do this at -55F. Make sure vehicle has Webasto and fuel warmers and all synthetic fluids if you go below 30 degrees F. Make sure you add antigel to the Diesel fuel. Make sure you have odyssey batteries. Hope you have lots of fun.

Last edited:

Wire Fox

Well... I actually have my own alternative version that seems to be working pretty well. I run a 2-man configuration and I put on the cargo cover if I'm ever travelling away from home for a while. Cargo cover = instant rain/sun/prying eyes protection. Inside there, I fold down the troop seats and grab my medical litter with collapsible handles. Those handles being able to collapse in is critical, as full length handle will have to sit on top of the wooden rails of the troop seats, but both ends collapsed is just short enough to sit between the rails. Then, just add padding for comfort and enjoy your 1-minute camper without having to clear out the bed of your HMMWV if you're carrying any spare tools or camping supplies. You can use either the quad-fold or bi-fold litters, or if you find something else, any litter that can have the handles collapse to and overall length of 78" or less. (A standard litter will be about 90 inches long, handle to handle.) Buy these cheaply on eBay or at a local show some time.

This really is just a modification of the CASEVAC procedures for a cargo HMMWV if you wanted to look it up in the CASEVAC field manual, but instead of carrying away wounded soldiers in a hurry, it's carrying me away to sleep quite comfortably.

Attachments

McSpeed

Good stuff - the plan here is to build a plywood filler for the floor to the whole rear deck (set up as a two man) it open for set a tent.

Some of the tents I'm seeing (four man) are 8'x7', but I think we can easily do a flip out plywood panel floor to catch that width - but have to think it through.

My thinking is we use the space between the rear fenders to store stuff (water, food, etc) so it isn't out on the ground or in the tent.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A couple months ago I used a small, 2 man tent in the bed of my 2 man truck no problems. Used a small sleeping pad, and a roll up mattress for a cot. Entrance for the tent was on the side, not the end, but as long as the tent has it's own frame and doesn't require guy wires to hold it up at the ends you should be fine.

If you're planning on doing it a lot you might look at a hard top like the Amtech (I just got one and installed it, a tall Legacy 2) or spring for an electrical shelter to put in the back when you want to go camping so you have somewhere to lock up everything when you're at the store or out hiking. Too many people with low moral values these days.

McSpeed

Well... I actually have my own alternative version that seems to be working pretty well. I run a 2-man configuration and I put on the cargo cover if I'm ever travelling away from home for a while. Cargo cover = instant rain/sun/prying eyes protection. Inside there, I fold down the troop seats and grab my medical litter with collapsible handles. Those handles being able to collapse in is critical, as full length handle will have to sit on top of the wooden rails of the troop seats, but both ends collapsed is just short enough to sit between the rails. Then, just add padding for comfort and enjoy your 1-minute camper without having to clear out the bed of your HMMWV if you're carrying any spare tools or camping supplies. You can use either the quad-fold or bi-fold litters, or if you find something else, any litter that can have the handles collapse to and overall length of 78" or less. (A standard litter will be about 90 inches long, handle to handle.) Buy these cheaply on eBay or at a local show some time.

This really is just a modification of the CASEVAC procedures for a cargo HMMWV if you wanted to look it up in the CASEVAC field manual, but instead of carrying away wounded soldiers in a hurry, it's carrying me away to sleep quite comfortably.
That is awesome!

I don't currently have the up and over rails and canvas for the troop carrier. I have the seats, but removed them for now and just have the back open. I also opened up the dour door rear man panels and made them open with soft top hinges and handles - but the seat pods still fold up out of the way.

McSpeed

A couple months ago I used a small, 2 man tent in the bed of my 2 man truck no problems. Used a small sleeping pad, and a roll up mattress for a cot. Entrance for the tent was on the side, not the end, but as long as the tent has it's own frame and doesn't require guy wires to hold it up at the ends you should be fine.

If you're planning on doing it a lot you might look at a hard top like the Amtech (I just got one and installed it, a tall Legacy 2) or spring for an electrical shelter to put in the back when you want to go camping so you have somewhere to lock up everything when you're at the store or out hiking. Too many people with low moral values these days.
Did you happen to snap any pics of it all set up that you can share?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you happen to snap any pics of it all set up that you can share?
I didn't until you asked. Only took a couple minutes to set up.
IMG_20190930_093116.jpgIMG_20190930_093140.jpgIMG_20190930_093151.jpg
Don't have the rainfly on, it really does need a couple guy wires if it's going to rain, but should be able to just run them over the fenders with a bungie or a hook to the wheel well. The length is right at the max, it could go a little wider no problems, but it still works fine as is for 1 adult and 1 child to sleep in. With a little longer tent you'd probably want to have the tailgate out.
the bottom of the tent has a couple places on the sides it's supposed to stake to make it a little wider. Close enough to the tie down rings in the truck to run a bungie ball through if you need the extra couple inches.
The tent is a 2 man Copper River, I bought it on sale at Cabela's, but looks like they discontinued them. Any 2 man tent that can free stand should work if it's about the same dimensions as the truck bed.
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/103235/copper-river-2-person-backpacker-tent

Looking at the Cabela's site though, there are some dome tents designed for the back of full size pickups that just cover the entire thing, and don't have a floor. Just a lot of straps to hold it to the fenders and such. I kind of wonder if one of those is wide enough to work with the HMMWV.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/cam...ghtline-gear-truck-tent/1329715.uts?slotId=10

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 777974

Saw this at a recent campout...
I used a 10x10 pop up canopy to cover my truck until I got a top for it. No reason why it can't work. Get one with walls, put up 3 sides, and back the truck under it, then just use a couple strips or something to secure the gaps between the truck body and the opening.
Of course, it wouldn't be bug or critter proof, but it would at least stop the rain.
of course I use a straight walled commercial type canopy that's actually waterproof, not one of the "10x10 canopy with 64 square feet of shade area" as that kind of crap annoys me.

McSpeed

Thanks for the pics and ideas! hey.,..I found a SLIDE IN truck bed camper last night just down the road from me for sale. Ran some measurements. It would be super tight but the width is essentially the same as the M998 (7') and it would easily sit in the bed. It is made for an 8' truck bed, but with the tailgate down, it would sit flat and level in the M998. It would sit about 12" above the side rails but that would give room to leave the rear shoulder seatbelt mounts in place.

This one is $1,000 or OBO - it is a 97 model and needs some TLC. Would be sleeping for four - furnace, a/c, fridge...and sink. No toilet - but has an outdoor shower.

I'm sure it could easily be modded to work - and if painted to match the truck would look kind of okay.

I found one short snipped on Youtube of a guy with a camper shell in his - looks okay - but nothing great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okM46Ndr8P0

Clearly can be done.

McSpeed

The one I found has the pop up portion to the main roof - so when in storage or transportation it isn't as tall as the one in that video.

Guyfang

Staff member
I spent 2 REFORGERS, (4 week field problems) in the dead of winter, camped out in the back of an M880, with two large gentlemen, and a dog. After several weeks, the only advantage I found to this arrangement was I did not have to erect or tear down a tent every 6 hours. When you get up in the middle of the night to pee, everyone will be involved in the operation. As long as its not long duration, its OK.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the pics and ideas! hey.,..I found a SLIDE IN truck bed camper last night just down the road from me for sale. Ran some measurements. It would be super tight but the width is essentially the same as the M998 (7') and it would easily sit in the bed. It is made for an 8' truck bed, but with the tailgate down, it would sit flat and level in the M998. It would sit about 12" above the side rails but that would give room to leave the rear shoulder seatbelt mounts in place.

This one is $1,000 or OBO - it is a 97 model and needs some TLC. Would be sleeping for four - furnace, a/c, fridge...and sink. No toilet - but has an outdoor shower.

I'm sure it could easily be modded to work - and if painted to match the truck would look kind of okay.

I found one short snipped on Youtube of a guy with a camper shell in his - looks okay - but nothing great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okM46Ndr8P0

Clearly can be done.

saw this post with this video and can’t stop laughing.

Thanks.

McSpeed

saw this post with this video and can’t stop laughing.

Thanks.
Yep, there is nothing sexy or attractive about a camper shell to start with...then mismatch on the Humvee...and well, it just looks strange! I'm trying to imagine a similar look and then matching camo paint on the shell.

cwajciec

I have an Amtech top and 4 man config. I set a queen blow up mattress in the bed and fold the rear seats down. Sleeps 2 comfortably and access is from the rear doors. Easy to park up and move in the morning too. I would think you could set up a couple poles and a cover over the blow up mattress. Beats setting up a tent any day!

McSpeed

We made a deal for $600 and I’ll pick it up tonight. Needs a ton of clean up

going look like GI Joe meets the Beverly Hillbillies. But could be a lot of functional fun for camping where normal campers don’t go. I’ll update some pics when I can.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In all honesty, I think if you do not secure the front of this properly to your vehicle, it will blow off and potentially hurt someone when you are driving at the speed. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks