Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

Thanks

Default camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

We sold our 27' Salem travel trailer this year. Would still like to do some camping on the cheap. Thinking about putting some plywood in the bed of the truck and setting a tent there - seems like a popular thing these days.

Anybody doing this? I have some camp grounds in reasonable driving distances and of course can cheat and have power and good parking in the camp site. Of course, I can pop the tent on the ground - but camping out of the truck seems like a bit more fun (plus don't have to sweat the cold wet ground).

Thanks

You must like camping in a small tent.
    Not sure how many people " We " includes but unless it's you and an imaginary friend .
    On the cheap is two sleeping bags side by side in the bed " if they fit" and a plastic tarp stretched over you in bed.
    Perhaps a M101A3 trailer with the bows and canvas would be better idea?

Thanks

So I used to use my Durango and LandCruiser for stuff like this. Two inch pink plastic housing insulation cut to fit the floor/bed. The kind of stuff you get at Home despot in long planks. NOT the fiberglass roll stuff or you will get itchy and harm your lungs. On top of that I placed futon mattress and warm blankets and sleeping bag and electric heater if I was at a campground with a plug-in. If not, you need warmest sleeping bags so you can crack your windows to prevent ice accumulation as frost on the inside of your vehicle windows. I used to do this at -55F. Make sure vehicle has Webasto and fuel warmers and all synthetic fluids if you go below 30 degrees F. Make sure you add antigel to the Diesel fuel. Make sure you have odyssey batteries. Hope you have lots of fun.
    Last edited by TOBASH; 09-30-2019 at 11:32.
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

1987 M1025 Slantback, 6.2 w/3 speed
    2017 Tesla Model X P100D
    2011 Tesla Roadster
    2003 Lifted Durango with steel bumpers
    1984 Toyota BJ-44 RHD
    Restoring 1975 Toyota Iron Pig

Thanks

Well... I actually have my own alternative version that seems to be working pretty well. I run a 2-man configuration and I put on the cargo cover if I'm ever travelling away from home for a while. Cargo cover = instant rain/sun/prying eyes protection. Inside there, I fold down the troop seats and grab my medical litter with collapsible handles. Those handles being able to collapse in is critical, as full length handle will have to sit on top of the wooden rails of the troop seats, but both ends collapsed is just short enough to sit between the rails. Then, just add padding for comfort and enjoy your 1-minute camper without having to clear out the bed of your HMMWV if you're carrying any spare tools or camping supplies. You can use either the quad-fold or bi-fold litters, or if you find something else, any litter that can have the handles collapse to and overall length of 78" or less. (A standard litter will be about 90 inches long, handle to handle.) Buy these cheaply on eBay or at a local show some time.

This really is just a modification of the CASEVAC procedures for a cargo HMMWV if you wanted to look it up in the CASEVAC field manual, but instead of carrying away wounded soldiers in a hurry, it's carrying me away to sleep quite comfortably.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wire Fox For This Useful Post:

CARNAC (10-16-2019), DREDnot (09-30-2019)

Thanks

Good stuff - the plan here is to build a plywood filler for the floor to the whole rear deck (set up as a two man) it open for set a tent.

Some of the tents I'm seeing (four man) are 8'x7', but I think we can easily do a flip out plywood panel floor to catch that width - but have to think it through.

My thinking is we use the space between the rear fenders to store stuff (water, food, etc) so it isn't out on the ground or in the tent.

Colonel
    Thanks

A couple months ago I used a small, 2 man tent in the bed of my 2 man truck no problems. Used a small sleeping pad, and a roll up mattress for a cot. Entrance for the tent was on the side, not the end, but as long as the tent has it's own frame and doesn't require guy wires to hold it up at the ends you should be fine.

If you're planning on doing it a lot you might look at a hard top like the Amtech (I just got one and installed it, a tall Legacy 2) or spring for an electrical shelter to put in the back when you want to go camping so you have somewhere to lock up everything when you're at the store or out hiking. Too many people with low moral values these days.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Coug For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (10-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Fox View Post
    Well... I actually have my own alternative version that seems to be working pretty well. I run a 2-man configuration and I put on the cargo cover if I'm ever travelling away from home for a while. Cargo cover = instant rain/sun/prying eyes protection. Inside there, I fold down the troop seats and grab my medical litter with collapsible handles. Those handles being able to collapse in is critical, as full length handle will have to sit on top of the wooden rails of the troop seats, but both ends collapsed is just short enough to sit between the rails. Then, just add padding for comfort and enjoy your 1-minute camper without having to clear out the bed of your HMMWV if you're carrying any spare tools or camping supplies. You can use either the quad-fold or bi-fold litters, or if you find something else, any litter that can have the handles collapse to and overall length of 78" or less. (A standard litter will be about 90 inches long, handle to handle.) Buy these cheaply on eBay or at a local show some time.

This really is just a modification of the CASEVAC procedures for a cargo HMMWV if you wanted to look it up in the CASEVAC field manual, but instead of carrying away wounded soldiers in a hurry, it's carrying me away to sleep quite comfortably.
    That is awesome!

I don't currently have the up and over rails and canvas for the troop carrier. I have the seats, but removed them for now and just have the back open. I also opened up the dour door rear man panels and made them open with soft top hinges and handles - but the seat pods still fold up out of the way.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Coug View Post
    A couple months ago I used a small, 2 man tent in the bed of my 2 man truck no problems. Used a small sleeping pad, and a roll up mattress for a cot. Entrance for the tent was on the side, not the end, but as long as the tent has it's own frame and doesn't require guy wires to hold it up at the ends you should be fine.

If you're planning on doing it a lot you might look at a hard top like the Amtech (I just got one and installed it, a tall Legacy 2) or spring for an electrical shelter to put in the back when you want to go camping so you have somewhere to lock up everything when you're at the store or out hiking. Too many people with low moral values these days.
    Did you happen to snap any pics of it all set up that you can share?

Thanks

20190803_152550.jpg

Saw this at a recent campout...
    1998 M1078A0
    1993 M998
    1986 M1009(sold)
    1992 M101CDN(sold)
    "Non Vi Sed, Arte"

12. The Following User Says Thank You to DREDnot For This Useful Post:

SCSG-G4 (10-01-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DREDnot View Post
    20190803_152550.jpg

Saw this at a recent campout...
    That both looks brilliant and like ****e at the same time. A solid 9/10 for their ingenuity. Definitely keeps the rain off!

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast