Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOBASH View Post
    In all honesty, I think if you do not secure the front of this properly to your vehicle, it will blow off and potentially hurt someone when you are driving at the speed. Good luck.
    Already planning for it. Tonight I am on all backroads to get it home and donít have to go over 20 mph if I donít want. I will strap it down. It comes with some heavy duty mounts that I will modify to the truck if I decide this is even worth the trouble. For $600 and a few hours time. If I just resold it finding it wonít work, really not out much.

Thanks

Please consider posting a picture in front of all this while wearing cut off jeans, an old thread bare Lynard Skynyrd T-shirt cut down into a "wife-beat-r", with a banjo in yer hands. Pretty please.

Maybe 22 inch spinning rims on the HMMWV too.

LOL

(Just joshing)
    Last edited by TOBASH; 10-04-2019 at 11:39.
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

1987 M1025 Slantback, 6.2 w/3 speed
    2017 Tesla Model X P100D
    2011 Tesla Roadster
    2003 Lifted Durango with steel bumpers
    1984 Toyota BJ-44 RHD
    Restoring 1975 Toyota Iron Pig

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TOBASH View Post
    Please consider posting a picture in front of all this while wearing cut off jeans, an old thread bare Lynard Skynyrd T-shirt cut down into a "wife-beat-r", with a banjo in yer hands. Pretty please.

Maybe 22 inch spinning rims on the HMMWV too.

LOL

(Just joshing)
    i would love to but I traded all that stuff to get the Humvee in the first place

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McSpeed For This Useful Post:

TOBASH (10-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by McSpeed View Post
    i would love to but I traded all that stuff to get the Humvee in the first place
    Now he's just a naked hillbilly. That's alright. I'm a naked HMMWV hillbilly myself with a really comfy hammock I use on my back porch.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk
    1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wire Fox For This Useful Post:

TOBASH (10-04-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Fox View Post
    Now he's just a naked hillbilly. That's alright. I'm a naked HMMWV hillbilly myself with a really comfy hammock I use on my back porch.

Nah, but yer close. He needs to put the hammock ON TOP of that camper, so he can watch a live NASCAR race in comfort.

Anyway, I hope this works out for him, but I'm worried that the space above the HMMWV roof-line will catch enough air at 50 MPH to lift the camper and make the HMMWV unstable at speed.

IMHO.

Ciao,

T
    T.O.B.A.S.H - When we feel frustrated with those around us. LOL

The Great Wall of China is regarded as one of the Seven Wonders of the World. What is wrong with The Greatest Country in The World building its own???

1987 M1025 Slantback, 6.2 w/3 speed
    2017 Tesla Model X P100D
    2011 Tesla Roadster
    2003 Lifted Durango with steel bumpers
    1984 Toyota BJ-44 RHD
    Restoring 1975 Toyota Iron Pig

Thanks

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit on this. I was busy shopping craigslist for some cut off jean shorts, a rebel flag, Nascar #3 flag...and some Billy Bob beer. But, I digress.

Picked up the camper Friday night for $600. Was tricky. Had I not removed the Humvee canvas top brackets it wouldn't have worked. At that, I was a baby's breath from getting the truck between the front camper jacks. Not to mention, the camper left rear jack is broken and the seller had it propped on a bumper/farm jack.

The unit weighs about 1,500 lbs dry - and just over $1,700 loaded. The truck handled it well. I used ratchet straps to hold it down to get home - and ran it up to 55 on the back roads. Surprisingly , due to the weight it settled the truck down really nice and it rode super smooth. This is a pop up slide in, so the total roof profile is nearly 2' lower than the other hard top units.

I'm posting the ROUGH pics here...you'll have plenty of fun laughing at them. I call it...GI Joe meets the Beverly Hillbillies!

This unit has been sitting for a LONG time and was totally neglected. Saturday morning I bleached and scrubbed the heck out of it. The canvas is in great shape, but there was water damage to the rear floor where Redneck Billy Bob last installed a window a/c unit incorrectly.

(I can't get the pics to rotate correctly)

Northstar 1.jpg
    northstar 2.jpg
    northstar 3.jpg

northstar 4.jpg
    Last edited by McSpeed; 10-08-2019 at 09:36.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McSpeed For This Useful Post:

BKubu (10-16-2019), Migginsbros (10-08-2019), TOBASH (10-08-2019)

Thanks

I've already cut out the bad floor wood and back wall and replaced it. I've got dozens of boxes on the way to me now with new brackets, handles, bezels, and trim. I have to build or buy a swing out bracket to clear the humvee with ease when backing under. I'm putting some nice plank floor inside and updating the cabinets and trim. This unit new from Northstar starts at $25,000. This is a 1997 unit and other than basic colors and trim, the floor plan hasn't changed. Fridge, furnace, water, lights, fans, all function. We have several State Parks within 25 miles on back roads from me. I'm hoping to use this for some winter camping which I was never able to do with my travel trailers for various reasons. I will build some filler panels under the sides and make more storage there. Right now, using the two post lift it comes on and off the truck in a matter of minutes - much faster than the jack system - so I removed the jacks for now. The unit will also store on the rolling dolly under my pole barn porch, which will be nice to keep it out of the weather when not in use.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McSpeed For This Useful Post:

Migginsbros (10-08-2019), riderdan (10-16-2019)

Thanks

You should totally put the window AC back in
    There's no such thing as overkill. There are just "Open fire!" and "Reloading"

The Envelope Please. Steel Soldiers Vendor CARNAC's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,045 Times in 1,847 Posts

You could always be like me more than a few years back. Lean forward in the passenger set with the helmet on the radio shelf. Next bump shift to kinda leaning back with your helmet on the B pillar until the driver hits the brakes. Then lean forward with arm on the defroster outlet until it gets too hot or the next bump. Pile a bunch of stuff up in the center until the pressure of leaning on it and the bumps moves it to the left too far. Then it's back to the radio shelf and repeat. Also hope the driver doesn't fall asleep or something bad happens or the commander or SGM catch you asleep.

At halts we had the foam sleeping pads taped to the troop seats in the back. Flip those down, grab a blanket or if lucky a sleeping bag. That was great sleeping if you got that luxury. I actually slept most of the night through outgoing artillery missions from M109s and MLRS.

Wirefox has the right idea with the litters. Ours didn't have the retracting handles back then.
    No longer the Common Man
    --
    'But I have dreamed a dreary dream, Beyond the Isle of Skye;
    I saw a dead man win a fight, And I think that man was I.'
    --
    Hereby declaring open season on good idea fairies and there is no bag limit!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CARNAC View Post
    You could always be like me more than a few years back. Lean forward in the passenger set with the helmet on the radio shelf. Next bump shift to kinda leaning back with your helmet on the B pillar until the driver hits the brakes. Then lean forward with arm on the defroster outlet until it gets too hot or the next bump. Pile a bunch of stuff up in the center until the pressure of leaning on it and the bumps moves it to the left too far. Then it's back to the radio shelf and repeat. Also hope the driver doesn't fall asleep or something bad happens or the commander or SGM catch you asleep.

At halts we had the foam sleeping pads taped to the troop seats in the back. Flip those down, grab a blanket or if lucky a sleeping bag. That was great sleeping if you got that luxury. I actually slept most of the night through outgoing artillery missions from M109s and MLRS.

Wirefox has the right idea with the litters. Ours didn't have the retracting handles back then.
    Your mention of the foam in the troop seats is also 10/10. I did exactly that on the night before my wedding. Rolled into the park where I was getting married some time between 3-4 AM. Unrolled my sleeping bag onto a troop seat, and slept under the cargo cover until I needed to be up around 9 AM. Rained all night, too, so I took the chance to note where all the leaks were-one happened to be on my face.

1994 M998A1, 2-dr, 6.5L GEP NA

Checkout my build thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...ild-in-Indiana

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast