• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

McSpeed

So, this weekend was both a victory and a setback. I got the furnace working. Turned out the circuit board was bad. Works perfectly now...and heats up that space quick! The water heater is kicking my butt! I've replaced the main propane regulator coming into the camper. I replaced the heater control head/gas valve and the pilot/sensor. Everything has been cleaned. I even blew 2500 PSI water through the main burner heat tube that warms the water. But, as you can see in this picture the flame blows OUT of the heat tube hole. I'm baffled. I'll be on the phone with a tech today. Obviously, this will catch the whole thing on fire.

Also, had a big oops! I was test filling the main water tank when I realized the inlet hose at the tank was dripping. The dang thing put water all over the NEW floor and trapped a ton of it between the vinyl planks and plywood. :oops: I have had a fan sitting on it trying to dry it all out. So upset about that.

Once I get the water heater fixed or replaced...I'm down to replacing the lift jacks (at least two of them) and then I'm done - will sell or keep, don't know yet.

Oh...it came with a set of fast gun tie down straps. These are awesome. I found a spot under the front B pillar support for the front ones and made a pair of stainless brackets off the rear tie down hoop mounts to lock the rear of the camper down. There is a simple adjustment on these where you know you are putting 300 ft lbs of torque on the camper...and it is locked down. Won't go flying off with these direct mechanical links.

water heater fail.jpg

McSpeed

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been thinking... Some of the FMV trailers might be a better fit for your camper, and that will allow you a vehicle to drive around with while you're camping.

The trailers forum has pictures of this stuff. Some of the FMV trailers have longer beds that might better fit the camper, and given their versatility, you would still be able to camp off the grid and offroad.

Someone just posted a camper top on a trailer and it looked good.

Just a thought.

Best,

T

McSpeed

I've been thinking... Some of the FMV trailers might be a better fit for your camper, and that will allow you a vehicle to drive around with while you're camping.

The trailers forum has pictures of this stuff. Some of the FMV trailers have longer beds that might better fit the camper, and given their versatility, you would still be able to camp off the grid and offroad.

Someone just posted a camper top on a trailer and it looked good.

Just a thought.

Best,

T
That's actually a really cool idea. Of course, the camper will set up on jacks and with a few basic supports can sit on its own just on the jack legs and the truck is free to rove about the planet until it it is time to pick it back up. I saw a new trailer at tractor supply that holds up to 2,000 lbs.

McSpeed

Finally, I was able to take it out on a practice run. It was also a bit magical as there was NOBODY at the park except the camp host and a few tent campers. I've NEVER seen it that vacant before. Was able to get THE most coveted spot on the lake. Saw more wildlife than I've ever seen before - and my dog loved the hikes and off leash time.

Okay - so here is the good, bad, and ugly. Funny, I started out just wanting to put a tent in the bed!!!!!!!The Humvee holds the camper fine. Surprisingly stable for the size/weight - but the wide wheelbase helps that a lot. It is a hassle having to pull the rear tag and move it to the camper as the camper covers the entire rear bumper section of the truck. But otherwise, the work I did to get my boat trailer to a 12 volt 7 pin really paid off because the camper just plugs in to that and you have tail lights, back up lights, running lights, and 12 volt feed from the truck when not hooked up to shore power.

I can't tell any difference in drag/acceleration/cruising with or without the camper in place. My truck struggles to hold 55 mph anyway as that speed is just hovering off wide open throttle due to some slight rolling hills and open areas where the wind is relentless in my area of the country. I also have a stock 6.2 and 3 speed trans. Brakes - good. No issues. But, overall NOT a way to do any real travel, as the truck just won't maintain a fast enough speed to avoid being a traffic issue on main roads. I have all back roads to about a dozen parks near me, but beyond that this is NOT the rig! If anybody is reading this thinking they might want to give it a go - this is only good for VERY limited travel - perhaps an amazing Overlander once you are in the woods and on just back roads...but getting there is an issue at least with my transmission and engine combo.

TOBASH has repeatedly brought up concerns about the wind pushing on the cab. Here is what you have been right about, the air rushing below the sleeper to the camper pushed my window into the cab and provided a generous amount of unwanted arctic blast that the heater couldn't compensate for. NO movement in the camper - just the wind coming in was bad.

When I reached the camp site - setting up was a snap. Using some 2x6 blocks of wood I was able to back it in place and level the camper. Plugged in, snapped the locks, and raised the roof. I already had the refer cooling for 8 hours, so it came back on and kept my food cool. Cranked the thermostat to 65...and let it do its thing. Replacing the circuit board fixed that. I was surprised to see how well the soft sides with the thermo snap-in covers held heat.

My water heater is still not right - so I didn't use it (but would have been nice for cleaning up dishes). I opted to install a Camco self contained toilet. Well...I mounted it too far back and wasn't able to pull the flush lever all the way. Good news is we didn't have any need to open that throttle all the way up on this trip. :) Once I got home, I remounted it further forward where the flush could be fully accessed.

After hiking my feet off and enjoying a magic sunset over the lake...I slept like a baby. The camper has a functional LP and Carbon alert detector - so I wasn't worried about anything other than a possible fire. Had a 20" HDTV going on the free over-the-air antenna. Was watching marathon Fail Army videos on TBD. Nice way to wind down.

"IF" I keep this up, I have to fix the rear window/wind issue over the cab and I'd like to put some filler panels between the body and camper that can be used to access storage over the fenders for various camping needs.
Inkedhummver camper 1_LI.jpgInkedhummver camper 2_LI.jpgInkedhummver camper 3_LI.jpgInkedhummver camper 4_LI.jpgInkedhummver camper 5_LI.jpghummver camper 6.jpghummver camper 7.jpgmurphy 1.jpg

JEB

McSpeed..
Thanks for the report.
Looks like you had fun.
I'll show it to my wife, it might help her get excited about getting an HMMVW. She goes camping with a girlfriend has a teardrop (she sleeps in our Excursion), at a great Army Corps of Engineers campground just north of here.
BTW...great dog.

McSpeed

McSpeed..
Thanks for the report.
Looks like you had fun.
I'll show it to my wife, it might help her get excited about getting an HMMVW. She goes camping with a girlfriend has a teardrop (she sleeps in our Excursion), at a great Army Corps of Engineers campground just north of here.
BTW...great dog.
that's why we share all this I guess...learn from each other's mistakes and adventures. Speaking of the dog - that's Murphy. He's our 6 year old Golden. He has had a really rough year. He had a torn ACL with surgery the end of last year on the heels of starting to have seizures. The ACL recovered pretty well and his seizures have come under control with CBD oil of all things. But, he is having some arthritis problems or something and in fact spent part of the day yesterday at the University Vet Hospital. Here he is riding home. While he LOVED the hiking and sniffing...and scratching (I left him off leash as there was NOBODY at the park..and he doesn't run away anyway) it totally wiped him out. murphy riding home.jpg

McSpeed

Been a while...but not much has changed on this end. Only used the camper once. My wife and I are in a decision process. We know the humvee won't haul this camper for any long term long distance camping adventures. Neither will my 2014 Silverado 1500 (too heavy and too long). This camper requires a 2500 or 3500 truck with a full 8' bed. We are trying to buy a 2020 Silverado 6.6 gas (new engine this year) but can't find one with the toys she wants. Looking into ordering one. So...the lesson of this adventure is - a $600 camper might cost me a $53,000 new truck to carry it most the time - so the Humvee can take it once in a while.

nattieleather

Time to upgrade the HMMWV. Install a GEP 6.5 turbo and 4L80 trans and you're all set. Still less money than 54K new truck. Just a thought. Nice looking rig and looks like something that could be lots of fun.

skaz76

Been a while...but not much has changed on this end. Only used the camper once. My wife and I are in a decision process. We know the humvee won't haul this camper for any long term long distance camping adventures. Neither will my 2014 Silverado 1500 (too heavy and too long). This camper requires a 2500 or 3500 truck with a full 8' bed. We are trying to buy a 2020 Silverado 6.6 gas (new engine this year) but can't find one with the toys she wants. Looking into ordering one. So...the lesson of this adventure is - a $600 camper might cost me a $53,000 new truck to carry it most the time - so the Humvee can take it once in a while.
Dont feel bad, I went through the same process a few years ago. Only had the camper before I got the humvee (almost same situation, issues, repairs...weird). Had an old 2500hd, handled it fine, but it was dying and I was driving alot so i replaced it with a 1500.....it worked .....sort of....wasn't comfortable running everything at its max limits. My camper is a little lighter, but not by much. Anyway, I always wanted a humvee and when one came up for sale local, registered and fairly cheap, the light bulb went off! I can haul my camper again!....well we know how that story goes. So fast forward, bought a new'ish 2500hd for the camper, and an ambulance body for the Humvee. GF is happy when we take the camper for those "comfortable couples trips" and I use the humvee when me and the pup want to head out for an over night hunting or fishing trip. Usally only close as I still have the 3 speed......NEXT mod is a 4 spd......then We will be unstoppable!

McSpeed

So...I had to issue the white flag and retreat! My wife went out in the camper with me a few weeks ago. She wasn't impressed. She complained about the lack of floor space and other things. Didn't see her self doing any real travel in that (with a new truck under it). So...I canceled the pursuit of a 2020 2500 truck...AND, sold the camper. The guy that bought it actually saw it for sale when I originally bought it. He knew how bad off it was...and was pondering making the repairs a winter project. Went back the next day and saw it was gone (to me). So, when it showed up for sale he tracked me down. He was so happy to see the winter project was already done (thanks to me) and we made a deal. He hauled it home last week under his Chevrolet 2500! It looked soooo nice on there. Anyway - back to square one. We are now shopping again for a travel trailer. We'll see.

McSpeed

Quick update - just as an FYI. So....we replaced the camper this week with a left over new 2019 Starcraft 20 BHS. And, the Humvee will go back to plan A (when we had the other camper ) to serve as the boat hauler while my other truck will haul the camper to various local spots where we can camp and go power boating.

humvee boat pull.jpg

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick update - just as an FYI. So....we replaced the camper this week with a left over new 2019 Starcraft 20 BHS. And, the Humvee will go back to plan A (when we had the other camper ) to serve as the boat hauler while my other truck will haul the camper to various local spots where we can camp and go power boating.

View attachment 789349
Honestly, and it might be me, but that HMMWV makes the boat look like a badass military drone.

McSpeed

I'm going to revive this old thread - because I have the bug again. Just came back from a week in Alaska where I took my son to three different glaciers. One was a hike, one was a snowmobile access...and one we did in a Polaris side by side (I'll put some video links below if anybody wants to see).

I hope to move there sooner than later - just haven't figured out things out yet.

But, I was dreaming of unleashing my adventure from behind the wheel of the M998. You see, Alaska has thousands of miles of places without roads...that you can go if you have the equipment, know how, skill...or just stupidity to get out in the man vs. wild.

The slide in shell I attempted here wouldn't work well due to the over-sized size. I'm thinking something like either a smaller slide in with a pop-up roof (to keep the height down) since I know I can make that work - or a full on custom build. Being more "bear proof" is important so I want a hard side as much as possible to at least give some protection or time to get spray or noise ready if a bear comes sniffing and scratching at 2 am.

The idea is to be able to roll out - sleep, eat, store goodies, and take the backcountry at my own time and schedule.

Will need a winch, (front an rear), and more other recovery gear.

Again - light and low for treading on ice and under trees.

The mud gets really bad.

In the first link below we went to the Knik Glacier by side-by-side. This area during the winter is mostly frozen so you can ride on the river. During the summer it is rock and mud and steams, and mostly shallows.

Since I got back on Saturday I've been running over and over in my head not only how to get the truck moved out there permanently, but how to set it up for using it. It is too large to do the inner trails for ATVs, but many many other places to go and even pull a trailer to get to the tighter spots.

UTV to the Knik Glacier:

Nelchina Glacier: (by snowmobile)

Matanuska Glacier (this was a drive there up the mountain then a hike which would do no good in the M998).

McSpeed

I'm sure you guys have seen the H1 (red) with the camper shell - if not...here is the video link:

So...seems like I wasn't that far off.

But, now that I see this conversion, I realize doing one with the four door is THE way to go.

I'm shipping mine to Alaska today - and this is something I'll be doing (a tent, camper, etc) in the future.

McSpeed

I am reviving an old thread. Now that I’m in Alaska the value of a camper in my truck went way up. But I don’t want to spend big bucks on something I’ll drag against tree limbs and beat up. I found a cheap slide in old truck camper and may have it here soon. Will be a while till it is camping but I think it will work. Down side it is is a hard side so it is high. Total height will be about 10’ from the ground to roof when set up. Stay tuned. I’ll post progress as we go. This one is shorter so better for off roading.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about one of the military trailers? Probably use the cargo cover and poles. You could unhook it when you are just going out for the day. Probably buy a new 20’ RV for what shipping cost would be to get it to you. Lol I forget how much and difficult it is to get stuff there

papakb

Think I'll just stick to my 997A1 ambulance and a canopy! My other consideration was a HMMWV trailer with a rooftop camper set onto it. Plenty of room below it in the bed for stowage and stuff like heaters and gear. Fast steup and something to reserve your space when you run into town or out on a trail ride.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used the BEOD for camping a few times. A twin mattress fits inside easily after removing a couple pieces of metal near the front (were there to protect the robot operator seating area and not really needed if you don't have the extra seat installed back there (which can't be used for passengers anyway))
just over 8 feet tall, and empty the truck is probably around 8500 lbs with it installed (mine is never empty, so probably around 9500 lbs with all the crap I pack in)
Ventilation isn't the best, and no insulation, so condensation does build up on the ceiling, but other than that it worked fine. About 2 hours to install or remove it using a couple trees and a hoist.
A lot stronger than most civilian campers also. I've knocked branches and small trees out of the way with it more than once.

c7c2f9b63841254c7823013dad306619abcc034c-22.jpg

cb99d7fa3059216a74a5481089091c89a1cb5b09-2.jpg

(edit: the color difference is due to ambient lighting. The paint is the same in both pictures, just a year or so apart.

McSpeed

What about one of the military trailers? Probably use the cargo cover and poles. You could unhook it when you are just going out for the day. Probably buy a new 20’ RV for what shipping cost would be to get it to you. Lol I forget how much and difficult it is to get stuff there
Not a bad idea. There a few once in a while that show up for sale around here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks