• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

camping tent in bed? Two man configuration

McSpeed

Think I'll just stick to my 997A1 ambulance and a canopy! My other consideration was a HMMWV trailer with a rooftop camper set onto it. Plenty of room below it in the bed for stowage and stuff like heaters and gear. Fast steup and something to reserve your space when you run into town or out on a trail ride.
How quickly and easily does the ambulance roof come off?

McSpeed

I've used the BEOD for camping a few times. A twin mattress fits inside easily after removing a couple pieces of metal near the front (were there to protect the robot operator seating area and not really needed if you don't have the extra seat installed back there (which can't be used for passengers anyway))
just over 8 feet tall, and empty the truck is probably around 8500 lbs with it installed (mine is never empty, so probably around 9500 lbs with all the crap I pack in)
Ventilation isn't the best, and no insulation, so condensation does build up on the ceiling, but other than that it worked fine. About 2 hours to install or remove it using a couple trees and a hoist.
A lot stronger than most civilian campers also. I've knocked branches and small trees out of the way with it more than once.

View attachment 888474

View attachment 888473

(edit: the color difference is due to ambient lighting. The paint is the same in both pictures, just a year or so apart.
That’s awesome!!!

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don’t you have big bears that have been known to eat a person or two? I have never been a fan of up armor until now. Lol I guess dogs would give you a little warning.

papakb

Nice looking trailer Cam! That's exactly what I had in mind. What make tent did you use? Smittybuilt?

With regards to my ambulance body, it's held on with 5 bolts to the frame and the DC power cables. The taillights are just extensions to the existing taillights but they'd need to be reinstalled if I removed the 997 body. I guestimate about 2 hours to do the conversion back to a 998 but then you'd have whatever time it's take for the seats and sideboards or soft top install.

McSpeed

What about one of the military trailers? Probably use the cargo cover and poles. You could unhook it when you are just going out for the day. Probably buy a new 20’ RV for what shipping cost would be to get it to you. Lol I forget how much and difficult it is to get stuff there
Well…I found one 10 miles from my house. A 1993 M101 with the steel body. New tires and good shape. We made a deal but it is buried in snow. I have to put my pintle hitch back on to get it. The plan is to set the camper in it. Don’t know how it will tow or balance but it is a start. Got the camper today too. It needs work but what do your get for $500????

pics to follow. I’m painting the new Midwest military aluminum doors tomorrow then I’ll get into the camper. Paint is stupid expensive! Two quarts of 383 green and the brown and black andepoxy primer and supplies was $500!!!!!

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Nice looking trailer Cam! That's exactly what I had in mind. What make tent did you use? Smittybuilt?

With regards to my ambulance body, it's held on with 5 bolts to the frame and the DC power cables. The taillights are just extensions to the existing taillights but they'd need to be reinstalled if I removed the 997 body. I guestimate about 2 hours to do the conversion back to a 998 but then you'd have whatever time it's take for the seats and sideboards or soft top install.

North Las Vegas.

Just pull the handle 🎰, CAMO

McSpeed

Part 1 done. Got the camper.

part 2 is to pick up the trailer tomorrow (it is 101not the 1101 but I think it will work - not many options in Alaska)

McSpeed

Don’t you have big bears that have been known to eat a person or two? I have never been a fan of up armor until now. Lol I guess dogs would give you a little warning.
yes. And manimals. The manimals are the worst. They are often armed and jacked up on drugs. I like the idea of hard sides for the animals or manimals but either way camping or overnighting around here can be dangerous. Winter camping is ideal to avoid both. But a camper with heat or tent with heat is ideal.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks