• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a CUCV M1008 - common flaws, what to look for?

Sili

Hey Guys!

After introducing my german ass over in the members-board i want to collect a bit of knowledge while starting my search for a m1008.

At the moment my daily driver is a RAM 2001 5.9 Magnum. I like it but i got it for almost 3 1/2 years now and now im craving for a new experience.

Nearly 3 of the 3 1/2 RAM-years i spent repairing stuff the PO did not take care off including a new transmission, new suspension parts along to cutting some rust, welding in new sheetmetal. So i can hold and use my wrenches. If the CUCV with its 6.2DD does not get any more complicated than this vehicle im not afraid of working on it to keep it alive. Actually i think it will be more easy since there are less sensors.

What i already know:
- the stock 6.2 is a strong engine, but its not a race-engine - no problem for me.
- dont know if its correct: 55mph is the max. safe speed for the differential gears - actually i dont go much faster than 65 with my RAM all the time - most time its around 55-60
- there is no comfort inside these trucks - but as long as it gets hot in the winter im fine. my A/C is gone again so summer means windows open :)

Im gonna read along here, maybe someone can provide me important links with infos for interested buyers. i wrote a buyers advice for a german dodge-board when i invested my time in searching my RAM so maybe something like this exists here and i did not find it yet.

Is it true, that the diesel always sweats/drips oil/diesel? Often heard that but i cant believe, that all these engines drip oil or other fluids all the time.

What should i look out for?

Its not critical. I try to find someone with a nice m1008 atm willing to swap againt my RAM - later i will try to sell it and buy an m1008.

I appreciate every single comment or helping word, thanks in advance!

Sili

PS: If its the wrong section, please tell me where to go. I didnt find anything better fitting.

Last edited:

cucvrus

Is it true, that the diesel always sweats/drips oil/diesel? Often heard that but i cant believe, that all these engines drip oil or other fluids all the time.

This is FALSE. If it leaks fix the leak. I had leaks and fixed them.

The CUCV is a old reliable truck. It does lack comfort and some of the newer options that the modern trucks have. It is a stock HD bare bones work horse and if treated well and maintained well it will last for years. Most of the CUCV's I have and had were sold as excellent running vehicles or just used to death. Maintained but used hard.
Rust and accidents rung the final bell for them. After cannibalizing them for parts that were re- usable I cut and crushed the carcass. I would recommend you find a CUCV that has not been all hacked up and lifted. It helps maintain the value and the assistance in helping diagnose issues via the internet as issue do and they will arise. A good stock CUCV is getting harder to find. I prefer to have one but not as a daily driver. I passed that point 10 years ago. Good Luck in your quest.

Sili

This is FALSE. If it leaks fix the leak. I had leaks and fixed them.

The CUCV is a old reliable truck. It does lack comfort and some of the newer options that the modern trucks have. It is a stock HD bare bones work horse and if treated well and maintained well it will last for years. Most of the CUCV's I have and had were sold as excellent running vehicles or just used to death. Maintained but used hard.
Rust and accidents rung the final bell for them. After cannibalizing them for parts that were re- usable I cut and crushed the carcass. I would recommend you find a CUCV that has not been all hacked up and lifted. It helps maintain the value and the assistance in helping diagnose issues via the internet as issue do and they will arise. A good stock CUCV is getting harder to find. I prefer to have one but not as a daily driver. I passed that point 10 years ago. Good Luck in your quest.
Thats good news. Leaking engines suck. I dont need a lifted one - they are just high enough stock. Only think i would like to add if i find a suitable offer: maybe new wheels with a/t tires on it and a cb radio...

DeadParrot

A M1008 is basically a Chevy K30 with a diesel engine and parts of a 24V electrical system grafted onto the stock 12v system. Most of your K30 questions you don't find here are likely answered on a 73-87 Chevy Pickup forum.

My CUCV does drip a few drops of oil but nothing that isn't expected from a motor where some of the seals and gaskets might still be original and thus about 35 years old. Haven't seen a drop of diesel on the pavement under the truck.

The 55mph limit is a combo of the rpm limitations of the 6.2 coupled with the 4.56 gears. Nothing about the truck itself should prevent normal 70~80 mph cruising once you have dealt with the engine/gear ratio problem. Some folks have swapped gears. Others have swapped the TH400 for an overdrive transmission.

Sili

A M1008 is basically a Chevy K30 with a diesel engine and parts of a 24V electrical system grafted onto the stock 12v system. Most of your K30 questions you don't find here are likely answered on a 73-87 Chevy Pickup forum.

My CUCV does drip a few drops of oil but nothing that isn't expected from a motor where some of the seals and gaskets might still be original and thus about 35 years old. Haven't seen a drop of diesel on the pavement under the truck.

The 55mph limit is a combo of the rpm limitations of the 6.2 coupled with the 4.56 gears. Nothing about the truck itself should prevent normal 70~80 mph cruising once you have dealt with the engine/gear ratio problem. Some folks have swapped gears. Others have swapped the TH400 for an overdrive transmission.
THX! Sounds good!
Said it all over here, just a few minutes ago.

Thanks Bud. Gonna go over this now :)
Welcome! :beer:

Sili

So for now i could not convince my girlfriend AND me to sell the RAM i put so much time and work in.
I would really like to own a cucv too but i have only the place and money to own one of them so, sad but true i wont have one in few weeks. but the dream hasn't died yet!

Gonna get one, already had a very cool offer from a european member here. thx for that!

now i wont leave here anymore :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks