• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What state law is the best for Former MV's?

mann650

With the various changes of State Laws that have happened over the past decade, can someone recommend a state law that is very favorable to former military vehicles? I would like to present one of the existing state laws to Senators and Representatives in Colorado that are favorable to our cause so they can use that as a model.

Gunzy

I can't point to a specific law in Utah, but they have no problems registering any MVs (HMMWVs, HET, HEMTT, 2.5 and 5 ton, and most other wheeled) as private, vintage, or commercial. Tracked vehicles are the exception to that as they can't be driven on most streets/roads except for parades.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
its fixed now.

Best law would be to look at Texas FMV and as well as Georgia

mann650

I looked at Texas and it seamed a bit restrictive, parades and exhibitions only. That makes it hard for the search and rescue and volunteer fire departments to use them. A couple of people have said Texas though, I wonder if that is as good as it gets?

cwc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The situation in each state depends on the starting point (i.e. what is in the existing law) plus whatever issues the administrative branch (DMV, state police etc.) and legislators consider important. In KY the Commissioner of Motor Vehicles was supportive but wanted a safety inspection, so that is what we got. The inspection form is modeled on the Iowa form, but modified to reflect the safety requirements in the KY laws. I described the process in the thread on the Virginia situation and posted the KY information here:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...rplus-Off-Road-Moves-to-Virginia-Senate/page6

Louisiana is another recent success.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the OP of the Texas FMV LAWS Thread (see ink in signature block below) I must insert this caveat:

The Thread is all about the MV's titled, registered, owned, operated, etc. as FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE - A SPECIFIC CLASS of "Antiques" in the TxDMV Registration System!

In Texas, former military vehicles MAY ALSO BE REGISTERED as plain old vehicles/truck/motorcycles/etc. but as such are subject to ALL of the standard registration fees (TxFMV Class 'antiques" are just $10/year), inspections, safety equipment REQUIREMENTS.

Hence, when discussing former military vehicles in Texas one must be VERY CAREFUL to be clear as to whether you mean a plain old vehicle that was once Uncle Sam's OR if that vehicle is also REGISTERED and OPERATED under the LAWS exempting TxFMV's from many of the "Standard" motor vehicle requirements imposed on any non-TxFMV registered vehicle.

----

With that being said, I personally think TEXAS is VERY FRIENDLY to those of us who have TxFMV's as collectible examples of military hardware.

AND, TEXAS is also friendly to the acquisition and use of former military vehicles as personal or commercial vehicles, so long as they are upgraded, maintained, and operated in accordance with the same laws as are applicable to all other "civilian" vehicles.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Louisiana is a good example now. Does require a self inspection notarized affadavit but it is basic stuff any mv should have any way. There is a thread here on it and others led the way...

mann650

USAFSS-ColdWarrior, Thanks for the clarification. As of May this year Colorado has removed the ability for military vehicles to have any on-road titles. Now that I understand that Texas allows multiple types of registration for military vehicles I see why people see it as favorable. If Colorado would allow both types of registration as TX does then that might be a good solution. Thanks for the information

mann650

I just read Louisiana SB549, That looks good, now to go read Florida's take on all of this. Thanks for the suggestions, this helps immensely.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As the OP of the Texas FMV LAWS Thread (see ink in signature block below) I must insert this caveat:

The Thread is all about the MV's titled, registered, owned, operated, etc. as FORMER MILITARY VEHICLE - A SPECIFIC CLASS of "Antiques" in the TxDMV Registration System!

In Texas, former military vehicles MAY ALSO BE REGISTERED as plain old vehicles/truck/motorcycles/etc. but as such are subject to ALL of the standard registration fees (TxFMV Class 'antiques" are just $10/year), inspections, safety equipment REQUIREMENTS.

Hence, when discussing former military vehicles in Texas one must be VERY CAREFUL to be clear as to whether you mean a plain old vehicle that was once Uncle Sam's OR if that vehicle is also REGISTERED and OPERATED under the LAWS exempting TxFMV's from many of the "Standard" motor vehicle requirements imposed on any non-TxFMV registered vehicle.

----

With that being said, I personally think TEXAS is VERY FRIENDLY to those of us who have TxFMV's as collectible examples of military hardware.

AND, TEXAS is also friendly to the acquisition and use of former military vehicles as personal or commercial vehicles, so long as they are upgraded, maintained, and operated in accordance with the same laws as are applicable to all other "civilian" vehicles.
The only bad thing about TX is the requirement for a different class of operator license for the heavier vehicles. Many states exempt MVs from that.

mann650

Wisconsin looks like it has some limitations on appearance and age. If you can title it as a regular vehicle as well then this would put it on par with Texas. I still need to look up Florida Idaho and Utah.

undysworld

Wisconsin looks like it has some limitations on appearance and age. If you can title it as a regular vehicle as well then this would put it on par with Texas. I still need to look up Florida Idaho and Utah.
Yes, you can register a former military vehicle in Wisconsin with regular (Auto, Truck, Farm, etc.) annual-renewal plates as well. The Historic Military Vehicle registration is a lifetime registration option, available only to former military vehicles which have not been altered from their original design and markings.

Reactions: cwc

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I currently have 7 MV vehicles titled and licensed in North Dakota and they are treated as any other vehicle including the Heavy Use Tax on my M920 and my M977 HEMTT. My 5 tons are licensed as Farm trucks and the only limitation there is I can only be no more than 300 miles from the farm, never a problem for my needs. Otherwise any trucks you have that are over 40 years old are licensed for a one time fee for the life of the vehicle otherwise they are no different in any way than any other truck on the road, no limitations or any other restrictions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks