• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Tailgate Handle Broke

mutt1966

I did a search first but nothing pertains to this, The other day when cranking the window down the clutch inside the handle broke I could hear it rattling around, the handle just spins up or down, the problem I have is I cant get the arms to move so I can get to the right rear bolt of the window regulator its covered by the gear for the right arm, so I cant remove the regulator to remove the handle and take it apart so I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or maybe a solution for this.... Thanks for any help, Scott

Barrman

I think it is Wreckerman that describes the window crank design best: "Invented by an idiot after consulting a committee of morons."

It reads like you have the tail gate laying flat with the panel off to access the inside already and the glass either removed or out of the way and supported. Correct?

Those arms are under a lot of tension. Do not have any body parts near them when trying to separate the regulator from the crank. They move fast and hard.

With that written, pry and the arms together to get them to go one way or the other and allow access to the mount fasteners. Or, get the ones you can off and carefully pry the regulator up away from the handle. It might go enough to disengage. I like the move the arms method myself but wanted to give you two options.

I also figure the one you can't get to is down a hole and can't be accessed in any way from the side?

cucvrus

DSCF4116.jpgDoes it look like this or is the lock cylinder still in place? If you can get the lock cylinder out you can jam a screw driver in the hole and jam the clutch to the regulator. Try using the key to remove the lock cylinder from the handle. Your driver part of the handle may be toasted anyway and you will be doing no harm. DSCF6423.jpgDSCF6424.jpgGood Luck. Report back on your progress.

mutt1966

Well I tried that and no luck can't get the blade at the regulator, the top of the crank assembly is blocking it, it was a good suggestion just no luck, Iam looking at buzzing off the two pins on the arm and getting a new regulator, it prolly has been in the truck since it was built....

cucvrus

I would advise against that. That OEM regulator if it's still working is better than the replacement ones. I don't care if it is an A C Delco. That just means it's made in mainland China. The GM originals were marked with the GM parts packaging NOT the AC Delco. Trust me on that one. I had an A C Delco replacement last 2-3 cycles up and down and pop went a gear on the left side. Not saying that they are all bad but the OEM GM one was the best. A little clean up grease and oil. Good as NEW. Real oil NOT spray can lube. Motor oil and chassis grease. Good Luck.

cucvrus

Very nice that should work. If you have exhausted all other methods of removal it is time to use forceful means and things get broke. As long as you have a confirmed back up plan proceed with caution and "Let the chips fall where they may" Good Luck. Thank you for sharing your plight.

Let the chips fall where they may.
originated
in America in the late 1800s and has reference to chopping wood. It implies that a woodcutter should focus on cutting logs and not worry about where the small pieces (chips) fall.

mutt1966

Well when it broke I was at a show and it was in the down position or it would of been a **** of a time getting the things out of the back, Iam going to try to grind off the tops of the two pins on the arm lift that arm off too get too the last bolt and maybe MIG/TIG it back together, Ill let ya know if this worked.... Scott

n8roro

Maybe too late, but, can you drill a hole in the regulator to access the bolt?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks