• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

bolt size

SeeNebraska

what size are the bolts to remove the front end loader? I measured 1 7/8" on my tape measure, does that sound right or would those be metric (46 or 47mm)? also are all the hydraulic cylinder piston nuts the same size? if so, what size?

i don't have any tools big enough, i tried a giant crescent wrench and it started to open up before budget the FEL bolts. I don't have anywhere local to buy them so I'm going to order what I need online. I'm open to getting a set but i want to make sure i get one that covers all of the large ones.

thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
what size are the bolts to remove the front end loader? I measured 1 7/8" on my tape measure, does that sound right or would those be metric (46 or 47mm)? also are all the hydraulic cylinder piston nuts the same size? if so, what size?

i don't have any tools big enough, i tried a giant crescent wrench and it started to open up before budget the FEL bolts. I don't have anywhere local to buy them so I'm going to order what I need online. I'm open to getting a set but i want to make sure i get one that covers all of the large ones.

thanks
They are metric. They will take a big bad impact to get them off. Even the hydraulic gun has issues with them breaking loose.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
You did not even list what particular flavor of the machine you have, How are SS supposed to help with pictures and data?

Take your vernier calipers and measure them all. Just measure in inches or MM. PM to me the measurements and if you would need deep-well impact sockets.
I have a few hundred pounds of Snap-on and other makes impact sockets for sale.
Tell me what you need and I will put them for sale in the classifieds here.

Then again Harbor Fright has a large set for about 90 bucks. Large metric sizes in one inch drive. 21,22,24,27,33, +38mm.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-1-inch-drive-sae-metric-truck-service-impact-set-93903.html

Last edited:

SeeNebraska

Take your vernier calipers and measure them all. Just measure in inches or MM.
PM to me the measurements and if you would need deep-well impact sockets.

Then again Harbor Fright has a large set for about 90 bucks. Large metric sizes in one inch drive. 21,22,24,27,33, +38mm.
https://www.harborfreight.com/10-piece-1-inch-drive-sae-metric-truck-service-impact-set-93903.html
thanks, i bought that set assuming it would cover most jobs on the mog but it doesn't go big enough for 2 jobs I've tried to do now. I've seen multiple posts from people saying how easy it is to remove the FEL so i figured those bolts wouldn't be too bad to remove!

SeeNebraska

just measured w/ calipers. comes out to be right on 47mm. A 1 7/8" socket would be just 25 thou oversized so it would probably work fine too.
Do you have a 3/4" drive 47mm socket? I can get one on Amazon for $25 with prime shipping...

Take your vernier calipers and measure them all. Just measure in inches or MM.
PM to me the measurements and if you would need deep-well impact sockets.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
buy the amazon deal if that is to do the work you need to do.
Look on the eBay also , might find 46-47 mm cheaper.
eBay 133034545238
what other sizes heavy duty impacts you need?
One should use one inch drive if possible.

Speedwoble

I had to order new ones off Mcmaster-Carr for one of my Mogs and the bolts were 1 1/4" -7 x 5.5" long. Which is a 1 7/8" hex. The bolts I removed had the SAE grade slashes on the head, so i knew they were inch.
Not to say someone had not shoved an imperial bolt in a metric hole(as that happens often on these mogs)

They are a bear to get off the first time. The 1" impact couldn't touch it, so I put a chain around the bucket to the cheater bar and used the bucket hydraulics to pull it.
IMG_1071.jpg

{Edit} just checked the bolt. A48mm socket fits loosely, 47 would be better, or an 1 7/8”
1076BE33-C248-4686-8AD1-C76FCD8D90BE.jpg

Last edited:

Pinsandpitons

Mine are also SAE. Marked as such. I'd be a little surprised if they were metric from the start as freightliner was the installer of the FL4 (i think) and in the late '80's early '90's SAE was still very standard. First time I removed them a 24" pipe wrench with a cheater did just fine.

The FLU farm

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm fairly sure mine are SAE, and I used a 1-7/8 socket. The 1-inch hydraulic impact had to work a bit, despite the threads having been soaked with 50/50 ATF and acetone for a few days.

If not for using penetrant, I'd guess it'd take a very long breaker bar...or cheating, like Speedwoble did.

Migginsbros

Our front loader bolts had the SAE bars but a metric 46mm socket fits perfectly. Got them loose with the hydr. impact and tightened with the big torque wrench about 1040 Nm, i thimk.

SeeNebraska

I got the FEL off. 46mm didn't fit so i went to the 1 7/8" which felt a little loose but worked.
I used the trick of putting a chain from the breaker bar to the boom frame and use the hydraulics to pop it loose. I was pretty nervous doing that so once i heard it pop a couple of times i switched back to a cheater bar and was able to get them out. i dont have a jack made up so i just used the cherry picker to hold up the back of the FEL.flu419-removed-fel.jpg

saddamsnightmare

BAsed on some of the nuts on the old S404.114, mostly I used my tools for railroad locomotive and car repair, because some of the stuff was that large, or stuck with age. The hub center nuts on the wheels will drive your average mechanic nuts as they have never seen anything that large, nor do they have the geared reducer drive to get those off....! You will have lots of fun, but once you get it working right you will be amazed what that little truck can do.

NB: Heavy duty 3/4", 1" or 1-1/2" drive tools are sometimes very useful on these beasts, but I mean heavy duty- NOT Chinese stuff!

Have a Great Holiday Season!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks