Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: European Member List

Thanks
    Thanked 2,879 Times in 1,420 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guyfang View Post
    Ahab,

I wish I could take you on a "small" tour of the POMCUS just in the K-Town, (Kaiserlautern) area. Say in a 50-60 klick area. You would be stunned. I worked on a middle sized one in Meisau, in the K-Town area. You could get lost there easy. AND, of course, the Ammo storage area in Weilersbach. The largest ammo dump in Europe. It also held a world class Ammo repair and upgrade factory. We were not part of all this stuff, we were ADA Support. But had a corner of the post, for our operations. One could and did wander around in the POMCUS sites.

The Ammo dump was another thing else. No entrance without taking EVERYTHING out your pockets. ANY device that could make a spark was taken away. NO electrical tools allowed there. Hand tools or air tools. Sometimes the boys in the back forty had to "dispose" of things too unstable to move far. So they had a place to blow them up. We would be working away on gen sets, and then would come a rumble. The walls would shake a bit. Everyone stopped doing what they were doing, and waited for another rumble. Why? Because if a chain reaction was starting, people thought we just might have time to boogie. Ha, ha. The place was so big, that we had 3 hunters to keep the wild pig population down to a dull roar.

When the Army downsized, in the 90's and in 2004-2010, most POMCUS was closed. Now we are storing M1A1's on the Mahnnheim air field. Stupid, stupid, stupid. There was a program on a year or two ago, that showed how some POMCUS was being "Re utilized". Small bunkers were being turned into Large houses, or condos.
    Great!. Better that, Than......
    DIAMOND T M20.
    M54A2 I.H. M62. wrecker
    M54A2 5 Ton (with Praga command station surveillance body fitted)
    M45 530C TFFT fire truck
    1942 Ford Jeep (with underfloor tulsa winch)
    1945 Willys Jeep (with V8 flathead Engine) And overdrive.
    Packard Staff car. (WW11. General Pattern Tribute).
    Ural Military Motorcycle.
    Ex Army Hyster 4 ton Fork lift.
    Onan 7.5 kw ex army generator.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dmetalmiki For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-13-2019)

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,888 Times in 752 Posts

My truck was stationed in Ter Apel.

The US military is also on the move in the Netherlands
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

Thanks

Now active again in Limburg: video of the reactivated POMS depot

and another nice one

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,140 Times in 5,944 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Robo McDuff View Post
    Now active again in Limburg: video of the reactivated POMS depot
    Interesting stuff here, Robo McDuff, thanks!

in the second vid you can see what looks like a Kingdom of Yugoslavia flag overlaid with a canton of the American Civil War stars-and-bars.

That's a curiosity. What is that about, do you know?
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

MVPA
    Thanks

...When the Army downsized, in the 90's and in 2004-2010, most POMCUS was closed. Now we are storing M1A1's on the Mahnnheim air field. Stupid, stupid, stupid. There was a program on a year or two ago, that showed how some POMCUS was being "Re utilized". Small bunkers were being turned into Large houses, or condos.
    Here's a video from the late great garage sale during the draw-down in the 90's. I know the Major they interviewed in the video. Long since retired from the Army but still serving as an instructor. He had some great stories of POMCUS disposal/retrograde and of being the officer in charge of the site in Seckenheim. Sounds like it was an interesting time to be stationed in Europe.

I was there in 2003-2006 and even then there were piles and piles of equipment stashed all over. Evidence of a massive US presence during the Cold War was still prevalent. I often wonder what kind of treasures were found when the posts I was at were given back to the Germans in 2015.

Last edited by sigo; 10-15-2019 at 14:44.
    M35A2
    M38
    M3A4
    MEP-016C
    MEP-531A
    PU-797

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sigo For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Just to clear up some potential confusion: POMCUS and POMS are basically the same thing:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (10-15-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,548 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sigo View Post
    Here's a video from the late great garage sale during the draw-down in the 90's. I know the Major they interviewed in the video. Long since retired from the Army but still serving as an instructor. He had some great stories of POMCUS disposal/retrograde and of being the officer in charge of the site in Seckenheim. Sounds like it was an interesting time to be stationed in Europe.

I was there in 2003-2006 and even then there were piles and piles of equipment stashed all over. Evidence of a massive US presence during the Cold War was still prevalent. I often wonder what kind of treasures were found when the posts I was at were given back to the Germans in 2015.

In 2004, I went to fix some generator equipment and its trailers in K-Town, (Kaiserlauten). I needed some parts, and the folks there at the POMCUS site told an old guy to take me out to the back 40, and look around. We drove down one dirt and mud road after another, looking at equipment that had be "forgotten" by the whole world. Old Gasser trucks, M48 tanks and bridge layers and expndo vans that were ready to collapse. The best was an old 2.5 ton truck, had to have been 35-40 years old. Someone had removed the transmission. A fairly large tree was growing up thouuge the floor, and out the top of the cab. Sadly, I had no camera.

We found 5 each, Ky-57 encryption equipment, (so called controlled items, that normally bring Hel* Fire and ****ation on you if they are lost) in an unlocked storage locker, in a MLRS Motor Poole storeroom, that had been closed at least 2 years, in 2010.

In the Bamberg MUNA, (Munitions Depot) there were bunkers galore. About two years after the post was handed over, (2014) to the Germans, someone started to try and decide how much environmental damage had been done to the area. They found all kinds of ammo, that was for some reason unaccounted for, and in several condemned bunkers, brand new spare parts. Multi boxes, upon Multi boxes. Tens of thousands worth of "excess" parts, hidden by units, for "a rainy day".

Here is one last story. In Bamberg, just as the show was about over, I went to the Post recycling office. It was located in an old building that had been a "storage building" for 82nd Engineer Bn, from time began, until they re flagged in the in the early 2006. Then it was a Thrift shop. Then it was the post recycling office. I wanted to "find" a few things, to get some Gen sets and trucks repaired, and lots of "extra" things had begun to appear there in the Recycling bins. The German fellow running the place was complaining about how the roof leaked. So he was going to take a look. He popped up the suspended ceiling, and there was another ceiling above. The building had an attic, that it seemed, no one had ever been in. While I was out rooting around in the bins, the German fellow found the access hole to the attic, and went up. When I came back in with several items, this guy and his buddies were handing out horse shoes. The attic was full of horse shoes, and shoeing equipment. A few days later, I went back over, and was looking for more treasures, and the guy told me that the "Post Historian" had looked into the records, and found out the building had belonged to a Cavalry unit of the Wehrmacht, and was the old Blacksmith shop. But by that time everything had disappeared.

I could go on all night.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Guyfang For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (10-15-2019), cucvmule (10-17-2019), sigo (10-15-2019)

Thanks

Crazy
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-16-2019)

Thanks

........ When I came back in with several items, this guy and his buddies were handing out horse shoes. The attic was full of horse shoes, and shoeing equipment.....

Would be very interesting for us to see that equipment. We are operating a blacksmith workshop that originally was of a farrier who also made the steel rims for around the wooden wagon wheels. We sometimes do demonstrations of shoeing.

DSC_0382_resize.JPGDSC_0386_resize.jpgDSC_0399_resize - Copy.JPG

14 07 podkovar _023_resize - Copy.JPG14 07 podkovar _059_resize - Copy.JPG

Also, in our WW1 project, we came across mobile shoeing stuff also.

Legiovlak 2015 037_resize.JPGLegiovlak 2015 040_resize.JPGLegiovlak 2015 041_resize.JPGLegiovlak 2015 042_resize.jpgLegiovlak 2015 045_resize.JPG

The mobile forge in the "Legion Train Exhibition", an exhibition in a replica of the trains used by the Czech Legion fighting in Russia during WW1. In contrast to the regular Czech soldiers fighting in the Austro-Hungarian army, the Czech Legion was fighting independently on the Allied side.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (10-16-2019), cucvmule (10-17-2019), Guyfang (10-16-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robo McDuff View Post
    Also, in our WW1 project, we came across mobile shoeing stuff also.

Legiovlak 2015 040_resize.JPGLegiovlak 2015 045_resize.JPG
    Great stuff!

Those lathes are beautiful, especially liking the treadle/ foot-powered lathe (in the second pic).
    M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-16-2019)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast