• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 804A lots of issues.

Guyfang

Staff member
I would remove and inspect, 2-3 vac
If you do not do this, adjusting is a waste of time. Clean, un damaged and adjusted properly. The closer to 3 VAC is best, but not over. Take your time. Spin the engine with S10. Better to re adjust 2-3 times, and get it right, then grind the end off. Any damage to the MPU, I would get a new one.

chesauto

Thank you.
I removed, cleaned and reset MPU, not too much on it. Starter still stays engaged when running. I pulled the MPU from a good runner, cleaned, installed and adjusted. Still Starter stays engaged when running.

Is it possible to have a problem in the A5? Either adjustment or a bad unit? One machine has a Tier 2 reset and a Woodward A5. The other is not reset as far as I can tell and has a Berger Colman. Are the A5s interchangable?

chesauto

Just as a side note, I put the MPU from the malfunctioning machine in the good one and it runs fine.
Also checked at A5 and getting 2.5ACV on both machines.

mcii

Stay with me here, Im a show me type person, IF ? it were me at this time id want to just for the sake of my own sanity and moving forward know that this starter will actually disengage while in the starting sequence. To do this go in and break the solenoid + wire with a switch that you can open, causing the + voltage signal to no longer try and engage the actual starter .. Its fully expected that indeed this will let the started drop out, simple enuff. presuming it does stop the actual starter your back to where or what is actually still sending a + signal to the solenoid, but somewhere in this we will find your problem have you had the time to check the oil pressure switch, I think it has a switch that as oil pressure build up, it breaks the ckt feeding the solenoid feed, you're fortunate you can contrast of verify your findings between your good working machine and you're non working machine. This will just take some time and an good I'd say ANALOG vom [meter] my preference for ANALOG meters is the instant and visual affirmation of the condition you're trying to check out. where a digital vom is too slow in these circumstances to confirm the actual circumstances/situation. I think I have an 804 TM copy and I will go try and find it and sort thru the starting ckt. You mention you have 2 diff controllers Barber Coleman and a Woodward these both are as good as it gets sans adding a GAC into the mix, but in this contract series you have before you, GAC was not a player. I would not advocate interchanging these 2 controllers, most frequently while not complex, the set-up for the respective engines is a bit drawn out and it would have to be a true last resort before I did consider this type swap.. It will be easy enuff as we dig into this, the signals we will be looking for, will show up, or not.. Ill go try and find my TM's but my bet is Guyfang will see this as he will soon be awake while it is nearing my zzzz time, and be pretty ready to supply the path you need to follow.. best: mac/mc

chesauto

mcii, the starter does disengage when in run. I started it, disconnected the starter solenoid wire at the starter, then turn S1 to Start and the K2 clicks sending power to the starter solenoid (which is disconnected so I don't grind the flywheel smooth).

The only thing I can find different between the two machines is voltages on A5 terminals 18, 19, 20.
Good machine cranking but not started:
18 24v
19 24v
20 0v

Good machine running:
18 0v
19 24v
20 24v

Problem Machine Cranking but not started
18 24v
19 24v
20 0v

Problem Machine Running
18 24v
19 24v
20 0v
and when turn S1 to start while running I get negative 37v on terminal 20. With a digital DVOM.

As a side note, the auction I got the problem machine from has about 10 of the same year, 2006, same Tier 2 reset in 2011 and all 2 to 4 total hours. Only one of them runs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks