• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Starter Replacement

dbeasty

To get my M1078-A1 start I had to tap the starter with the rubber mallet ..

My conclusion the starter is bad.

Should I replace it , or maybe there is a way to refurbish it??

How do you go about replacing the starter,it seems super heavy and I do not have a very good access to it, maybe I need to turn my wheels a bit,.,.??

Ronmar

Yes its heavy. An assistant or an engine hoist holding a lift strap to support it while you unbolt and then carry most of the weight as you lower it. I would pull it apart and clean and inspect it...

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I called all of my local rebuild shops no one wants to know anything about a 24v starter. I believe there are some aftermarket options out there. The original is a cat part and big bucks.

SausageGuy

My truck had the starter in the floorboard when I got it. I assumed it was bad since it was off and didn't want to install it only to have to take it back off. I took it to an automotive electrical shop near me and they rebuilt it no problem $150.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I take the bolts off the steering reservoir and let it hand loose. Disconnect all batteries. Label each starter wire and take a picture with your phone. One person on top one underneath for the final bolt removal and getting it out.

Reworked LMTV

Many times it is just the brushes. Take it apart and clean it. Check the brushes.

I just did this a Bosch diesel starter motor a couple of days ago. I cleaned the armature with some MAF cleaner. Clean out the lines where the copper plates meet on the armature with a something sharp.

Might be able to just replace the solenoid or bendix if that is the problem. All depends on the unit.

Last edited:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One trick for supporting the starter is to suspend it by bungee rope (Like Bungee cord material). Use enough rope to lift the starter. The stretch of the rope will allow you to maneuver the starter. Be sure to tie a loop of good rope or a ratchet strap tightly around the starter so the bungees cannot slide off, and that allows you to tip the starter too.

This really helps when putting the starter back in. The Bungee does the lifting and you can make adjustments in position by hand to align the bolts.

Be sure to label all the wires, and count the number on each post so none get hidden and lost! I learned the hard way.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
New cat starter for 3116 is about $200 with no core since it is new. But it is considerably smaller and probably not water proof.

AllenF

Coachgeo, That is a great idea. these CAT engines are used a lot in marine (boat) applications. In fact, as you said, there may be other items that could cross over and be of better quality.

dbeasty

There are web pages that specify the tooth number and fitting. Anyhow went with the CAT starter , the advantage was that it was bit lighter and easier to put in and seems to be working nicely so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks