• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Modifying electric starter

hughscpa

I recently purchased a mule (A4 according to the data plate) without a starter on it. I am planning on putting an electric starter on it and planned on using a modified VW starter I believe. Do you have to cut the old gear off the starter before you weld the new one on or do you use spacers to adjust the depth for the gear to engage the flywheel?

mulman7

If the mule Starter Gear has the shoulder that the spring attached to then remove it so both sides of the gear are flush. The pinion gear on the VW Starter is slightly larger in OD than the ID of the Mule Gear. You can hand grind each tooth of the VW starter gear or connect it to a battery and as it is spinning hold it against a bench grinder until the Mule gear just fits. I place 1/8 shims between the underside of the Mule gear and the VW starter then MIG 3ea spots to hold the Mule gear to the VW gear. The holes in the VW Gear must be oversized so the 5/16 bolts align with the bell housing and if you do not have the modification mounting plate that allows the solenoid to lay horizontal then the solenoid will hit the underside of the bed and you will not be able to mount the VW starter without removing the under bed reinforcing. You could weld the aluminum adapter plate to the VW starter to position the solenoid horizontal. I have used the VW starters for many years but now I only use the Prestolite Starter. I have them in stock and they are identical to the ones used by the Military on the converted A5s. They or the Mule requires no modification and are easily repaired if necessary.

hughscpa

Thanks mulman7. I have ordered the gear and adapter plate and am waiting their arrival. If I mess something up, I will let you know and grab a starter. I'm also going to need a magneto and plug wires in the future. I will post some pics with any questions before modification of the starter. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks