• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1102 Trailer Value?

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NSN 2330-01-387-5426. I have an opportunity to purchase an M1102 Trailer that appears to be in very good shape, but I have no idea what the value might be. What do you think a value on this type of trailer might be? The other question I have is would this be a good trailer to tow with my M1008 CUCV truck?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 1101/1102 were designed for the HMMWV, so unless you make a hitch to raise the hitch up quite a bit it's going to be nose down. The affects how the surge brakes operate.

You can do things like smaller wheels/tires and some people have moved where the axle it underneath it, but it's not going to be right/look right without doing something to it.

It's also going to have a wider track than the CUCV, and I believe it's wider overall.

If it were me I'd probably try to find a nice M101A2 to match up with the CUCV, as the extra weight rating of the M1102 is kind of wasted behind a CUCV unless you put on a real hitch, and even then I've seen people recommend against towing much weight. They can also be found for less than the M1102's, but they are also older trailers.

As for value, it depends on your area. Personally for one in really good to near perfect shape $1k-$1500 sounds good, but more than that isn't unreasonable if they aren't common in your area and the demand is high. The opposite is true as well if your market is flooded. Around here on Craigslist I see them advertised in the $2500-3k range, but they don't move fast at those prices.

For comparison I just bought a frame from a DRASH type gen/ecu trailer for $1k and think I didn't do bad for that price, but I'll have to build my own bed for it. It does have the 55 gallon fuel tank still installed though. Frame needs cleaned and repainted, in excellent shape I could see spending $1500-2K on just this frame.

Just compare to what you'd pay for a civilian trailer to do the same job with the same specs, and even at $2k or more these trailers are a pretty good deal, but that's only if you actually need the capabilities of one of them, as opposed to using it like a standard civi on road trailer. Other than the coolness factor, for on road use there are better options that cost less, but don't match the military appeal. M1101/M1102 doesn't match the era of the CUCV anyway, but most non military nerds don't know that.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the response. I didn't consider the height factor. I do have an M101A2 that matches matches my CUCV and I really like that trailer. the price on the M1102 was really reasonable but I think I will pass on it.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I love my M1101, I wish I had a few more .

It is bare bones no top or bows, nice and light made from aluminum, beadlock 37" tires, what's not to like about that, great wood or whatever hauler, I converted all the bulbs to 12v and my lifted pickup pulls it like it isn't even there .

Zed254

~$1,000 at auction in GA. Check GovPlanet's sales history for the trailer and your desired location. GA auction prices have been between $900 and $3000....so depends on how hard headed the bidders are at that particular sale and the sale's location.

Great trailers. I lowered my M1101 3 inches or so by going to civilian tires. I also had a welder 'stretch' my lunette ring. Picture is from a failed camper project on the same trailer chassis used on the 1102, but you can see the height adjustment available with altered lunette ring.

Attachments

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
..... I also had a welder 'stretch' my lunette ring. Picture is from a failed camper project on the same trailer chassis used on the 1102, but you can see the height adjustment available with altered lunette ring.
Wow, that "stretch" really looks dangerous to me...:shock:, besides the surge brake not working as designed, that way.
I would rather have lowered the whole trailer tongue.

Zed254

Wow, that "stretch" really looks dangerous to me...:shock:, besides the surge brake not working as designed, that way.
I would rather have lowered the whole trailer tongue.
I have not noticed any problems with brakes. The illustrated application did not work due to low tongue weight, so I moved the lunette to another trailer. The added metal is solid steel.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get a pintle to fit a 2 inch receiver and a riser to allow towing with your CUCV. Fleabay and Amaz0n

Love my M1101. Handles great and brakes are awesome.

You might have minor issues insuring and plating a M1102 due to its listed additional capacity, although I have not heard of any such issue recently. M1101 and M1102 are exactly the same, yet one has a higher rating that can affect titling process.

Best of luck!

T

DeadParrot

The stock pintile hitch on a CUCV should be pretty close to the stock height for a M1101/2. I swapped the tires on mine to lower it and it sits level behind a 75 C10 with a custom receiver hitch that comes straight back from the frame instead of under the bumper. A CUCV sits several inches higher then my C10. I have a CUCV but the PO FD helpfully removed the pintile and installed an odd sized receiver tube(about 3.5" square).

I paid about $500 a few years ago for one located at Ft Sill. No bows or cover. Looked like it was checked into inventory, marked with unit numbers, parked, then surplused. The envelope with the TM CD was still behind the driver's side stabilizing leg. Could have gotten one a bit cheaper in Texas but a much longer drive.

Tows fine behind the C10. Does catch some air as it is wider then the PU. Adding a ton or so of busted plaster and lathe didn't really impact braking as the surge brakes worked fine.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stick with the M101A2.
It was designed for the CUCV and matches it perfectly.

The M1101/2 looks weird behind a CUCV since it was designed for a completely different vehicle.
Two different generations that don’t look good together.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They tow fine behind a CUCV Truck. I'm surprised reading these prices as mine was $360 a few years ago at auction.
They will tow it fine but it looks weird together.

Years ago things were a lot cheaper and plenty of trailers.
That is no longer the case on both counts

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have a bulldog pintle/ball combination hitch on a riser. It works great. I've towed M1101 and gen trailers as well as civy trailers.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M1101 back from the auction pick-up with my M1009 no problem. I wouldn't tow it with a load with that vehicle, but empty is fine.

I paid $750 for my second M1101 and sold the HMMWV wheels for $400.

So far it's saved me at least a couple thousand in delivery charges for gravel and other materials.

Do I care one whit how it looks? Yeah, right. I actually get compliments when I'm parked at the local home center. It does what I need it to do and I don't worry about it rusting out.

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I towed my M1101 back from the auction pick-up with my M1009 no problem. I wouldn't tow it with a load with that vehicle, but empty is fine.

So far it's saved me at least a couple thousand in delivery charges for gravel and other materials.

Do I care one whit how it looks? Yeah, right. I actually get compliments when I'm parked at the local home center. It does what I need it to do and I don't worry about it rusting out.
I love the optional military upgraded Dodge 8 bolt alloy rims, specifically designed to enhance ability to covertly operate within urban environments.

I also love the fact that you actually use that bad boy for real work.

Best,

T

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
an M1101 from 2010 just went for $1800 with bows and tarp at auction local to me, so I'd expect it to hit the civilian market here at around $3k. It looks like it is complete with the landing legs and everything looks functional.

Gung-Ho Civillian

what type of “curled extension cord” connecting cord (that connects from your vehicle to your 1101/1102 trailer lighting connector) do you have?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks