• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone a hydraulic genius

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Need someone who is a wizard on hydraulics to help me figure out why my wrecker is working but not correctly.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1089
No line drawings as of yet looking for them
First problem the primary selector valves do absolutely nothing per operation manual you put selector valve on crane and only crane works put valve on wrecker and only wrecker works they both work no matter valve position.

2nd problem wrecker lift will only take a truck up so far the tires are on tow vehicle will almost leave ground but not enough for you to spin tires.
The lift goes all the way down and goes all the way up with no load

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the other stuff the crane front winch and the two 30k winches out the back work perfectly under load.

coachgeo

First problem the primary selector valves do absolutely nothing per operation manual you put selector valve on crane and only crane works put valve on wrecker and only wrecker works they both work no matter valve position....
Holey sentence Batman......... what the hayel did he just try to explain with those words. lol

Coffey.... do you mind putting in some commas and periods or something...... that sentence can be read hundred different ways.

Last edited:

coachgeo

No matter what position those valve's are in, everything operates.
ahhhhhh ok. on the much more simple manifold of the FMTV hydraulics....... a few folk have had to rebuild/replace a valve such as the raise/lower valve of spare tire cause it did not work. maybe its that...... would be nice and simple if so? hope for you that is the case. What about a line installed in wrong place allowing a check valve to be bypassed that would prevent what is occurring in your situation. folk have run across quick improper re-assembly of where hose install prior to auctions too.

besides that though..... in this situation...... do both items still work at full capacity? Might it be an advantage to keep it like that if they do? May be rare times you need both to work at same time.... though hydraulic pump might get massively taxed.

Maybe those help?? No expert by any means.... good luck

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
the stinger not going up is classic weak cylinders. If they are not leaking then I would put a pressure gauge on the port for the pressure and see what you have when it is raising without and with a load. If you have correct pressure (2500psi) then it is bleeding off thru the cylinders.

dmetalmiki

AS mentioned previously, Check the routing of the pipes.
Also, There are relief valves in the circuit, Check if they need servicing, As they may be 'blowing off' prematurely.
And I just had a thought...Check the selector levers as they may well not be functioning properly.
If a selector is not closing properly that would cause immediate loss of pressure, And could? let the oil bypass to where it should not. > Hence the two operations' working simultaneously<,
And perhaps? is the cause of the failure to lift properly.
If you can, And if possible, Have someone to check all pressures at the operating points.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
View attachment 778443

Ken, I have the entire air, electrical and hydraulics schematics combined into a single file. I'm going to try and upload them

Edit: The whole file was 33 M and too big to upload, so I culled it down to just the two pages on the Wrecker Hydraulics
One can send really large files for free with google. It is called google drive. You and the reciepiant must have google but that is only limitation I have seen.
I have google so just send the entire 33mb to frank800man@gmail.com as a mail attachment.
These files should be in SS database.
Frank

Ronmar

Are the control valves rotary(valve core rotates) or push/pull(core slides in or out) spool type? Push pull spool type usually have o-rings at the ends and close tolerances inside, so they always work, but can leak at the ends.

Rotary type often have o-rings dividing the halves of the valves so can leak across from one circuit to the other.

Don't have a drawing but it sounds like you might have a leaking relief valve. But what could also be happening is you are loosing pressure from one side across to the other thru that selector valve as soon as you load up the system. The both circuits working regardless of selector position description is another clue. That or it was disassembled/de-installed in the past and not reconnected/re-assembled correctly...

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
20191005_081922.jpg

The winches are bad to the bone, pulled these big rocks from behind my house. Monday I'll load them up with crane and put them somewhere useful.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The lines would have to be crossed somewhere upstream because there's absolutely no way to get them wrong at selector valves.
They are large hard lines.

Ronmar

Yea, could also be a bad ram seal, but the selector not cleanly separating the two operations I think may be a big clue...

Duh, I have had a similar issue on a different type system. Have you tried loading up both systems simultaneously? IE: Try and lift the front of the LMTV that you cannot get off the ground, and while doing that try and operate a crane function that is already maxed out, like boom down when the boom is already against its down stop. Powering to an end stop usually causes pressure to build to maximum and open the relief valve.

Pressure = force like to lift the truck, Flow rate = the speed at which it happens. If fluid is escaping from the wrecker side thru a bad control valve seal into the crane side when you put the wrecker under load, it cannot build enough pressure to perform the work/lift to full capacity.

If while trying to lift the truck with the wrecker, you simultaneously try to build pressure on the crane side where fluid is escaping to, the wrecker side will also build pressure as the escape path is now blocked/restricted. If the wrecker lifts when you do this, the selector valve is most definitely leaking past...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks