• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

what is this junk in the fuel cannister?

Wire Fox

Ah, good ol' diesel sludge! It's algae that grows when water accumulates in your fuel system. Clean out the fuel tank and everything from the tank to the filter housing. You probably also need a new tank screen. Good thing you've caught this now before it clogged your injection pump!

Edit: Just wanted to note that the algae is what is the red color. There's not going to be any rust there.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
took apart my Humvee fuel filter cannister.
noted this rusty? sludge? all over. . .
what is it and where is it coming from?
thanks for your help!
Over time crap gets into fuel cells. This is worsened because there are bacteria that eat Diesel and can clog filters. This takes years.

HMMWV fuel cell intakes are crappy at best and will allow particulate matter into the fuel cell. The caps get old and can fall off when driving, and that will also allow crap in.

I just pulled my tank, and a primordial ooze was growing in there. It was evolving and close to sentience. I scrubbed it clean.

Welcome to the club of guys trying to restore old abused steel soldiers.

Best,

T

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me speak from experience...if I find a fuel filter that bad, I replace the fuel tank. Not far behind is the injection pump failing.
these trucks unfortunately sit for up to 10yrs before they come to auction, and the fuel has done some serious irreversible damage.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
On a positive note you didn't find any plastic bags.

Clean everything you can, and again, now if you feel it necessary. I would check each section of the fuel system as you are cleaning to verify that that section or component is clean. I would replace any flexible lines now as age and chemicals will deteriorate the rubber and replace with correct compatible fuel, pressure type hose.

Good Luck hope this helps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks