• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Couple of questions on PTO's and Winch Leaks

fpchief

I just took off my PTO to replace the shaft seals. Got tired of having dead grass spots everywhere from it leaking. First question...Yep you guessed it, it is about shimming it. TM not much good on this as you all know and it really seems that the best bet is to do it by feel. I have gaskets sitting in the mail box from Mike and have a couple other fel pro ones coming from O'Reilly. Just wanted to have a good assortment. I have a bad habit of overthinking things. When i install it, i reckon tighten at least two bolts? Then holding the ouput shaft i of course want it to not be tight, but just a little nudge of a backlash correct? I will check what backlash is already in the PTO prior to install. Does that sound about right? Will backlash be something in the area of backlash on a rear diff? Just looking for something to judge it by.

Next, turning my winch drum, it started to leak on the right side...Watched it happen. Not rebuilding the winch right now so is that really thick oil still the go to for a leaky winch? I know of corn head grease, but I have some really thick Gear oil I was given to use in a really old wood planer.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thick gear oil is a worth a try if you already have it. I poured some Lucas thick-as-honey heavy duty oil stabilizer into mine and it seems to mostly stay in.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure that you can find all the gears on the winch, & the neutral. Its possible to install the output shaft backwards, which was why I re-did mine. If its backwards, as I remember, high gear in return, will be missing & neutral will work, but will be slightly out of place.

A little extra gear lash, is better then too tight. Note too, the shims that were in it.

Re-doing the winch is not bad for one man if you have an engine lift (or some other lifting means).

rustystud

A good rule of thumb on all PTO's is 0.006" to 0.008" of lash. To little and when the gears get hot you start to bind things. Too much and you start to wear gears to much. I tend to stay at the 0.008" mark myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks