• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Information needed on Banks "power" setup

I was reading online that banks made an intercooled kit and bolted an allison the 6.5l TD. Does anyone have any info on this? I was thinking of using an allison behind my engine and am just curious as to if it can be done.
Thanks ~Reno

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was reading online that banks made an intercooled kit and bolted an allison the 6.5l TD. Does anyone have any info on this? I was thinking of using an allison behind my engine and am just curious as to if it can be done.
Thanks ~Reno

AFAIK, they discontinued the project several years ago after making two test vehicles. Once AMG lost the contract, the banks project was killed.

I don’t think Banks sold any of those upgrades to Uncle.
Agreed I think it was just something they tested. I was just curious if anyone had heard if the allison was a good idea considering Banks had used it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed I think it was just something they tested. I was just curious if anyone had heard if the allison was a good idea considering Banks had used it.

HMMWVs have plenty of weak points but I never thought the 4L80E was one of them.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Banks unit was meant to give the heavily armored 12K vehicles better acceleration without major changes to the drivetrain. I believe it was supposed to improve 0-60 times to get them to approach 30 seconds.

I can only assume an Allison transmission was used because of the increased horsepower coupled with 12K weight.

So in theory if more weight didnt matter and you had less hp could the allison be put behind a 6.2 and achieve good (for a humvee) mpg and maybe slightly faster acceleration?

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So in theory if more weight didnt matter and you had less hp could the allison be put behind a 6.2 and achieve good (for a humvee) mpg and maybe slightly faster acceleration?

If you go 700HP Duramax, Allison/Atlas tranny/trans case is a solid choice. For you to stay with a 6.2/6.5 n/a or 6.5 turbo, 4L80E or 700R4 is plenty. Why waste $$$ with an Allison?

With either 4 speed, you'll accelerate off the line just fine.

Remember, Banks was looking for a government contract. Adding an Allison to the HMMWV upgrade would have meant tens of millions of more profit. You should not try to compete with Uncle Sam, so you don't need an Allison.

FYI, Plan B in California modifies the Banks turbo to fit in the front right engine bay of HMMWV's. They will also charge you upwards of 6K to do so.

Retired War Horses frequently points out that 6.5 turbo's go for 2K.

Your call.

Best,

T

If you go 700HP Duramax, Allison/Atlas tranny/trans case is a solid choice. For you to stay with a 6.2/6.5 n/a or 6.5 turbo, 4L80E or 700R4 is plenty. Why waste $$$ with an Allison?

With either 4 speed, you'll accelerate off the line just fine.

Remember, Banks was looking for a government contract. Adding an Allison to the HMMWV upgrade would have meant tens of millions of more profit. You should not try to compete with Uncle Sam, so you don't need an Allison.

FYI, Plan B in California modifies the Banks turbo to fit in the front right engine bay of HMMWV's. They will also charge you upwards of 6K to do so.

Retired War Horses frequently points out that 6.5 turbo's go for 2K.

Your call.

Best,

T
If/when I change the engine it will be a 6.5l turbo. I was looking at tranny choices mostly for the reduction of engine rpms.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If/when I change the engine it will be a 6.5l turbo. I was looking at tranny choices mostly for the reduction of engine rpms.

Your low end will get you off the line quicker and your high end will be reduced with either 4l80E or 700R4.

I'm going 700R4 as I don't want to run an electric tranny controller on my A1. Others will disagree. Toe mato, Tah Mahto.

Gear ratios available on Wikipedia if you want to review.

Your low end will get you off the line quicker and your high end will be reduced with either 4l80E or 700R4.

I'm going 700R4 as I don't want to run an electric tranny controller on my A1. Others will disagree. Toe mato, Tah Mahto.

Gear ratios available on Wikipedia if you want to review.
When you do your 700r4 what are you going to do for the torque converter lockup? I have considered this route aswell.

I have the bracket assembly.
Isnt that for the tv cable? Im just thinking that when you get to a certain speed you would want to torque converter to lock up to reduce engine rpms and so the tranny doesnt over heat. Altho this is all stuff ive read online

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks