• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED turn signal issue

Beebermd

hi guys, new owner here. im having an LED turn signal issue. with the rotary selector in stop, my passenger turn signal is on, not flashing, just on. if i take the signal wire and switch it with the park wire on the light, the park light stays on. so im getting power to wire 460 when there should not be. both indicators flash when the stalk is used. its really annoying. my first thought is the rotary switch is bad and letting current through. i searached the forums and covered all the basics: LEDs all around, good grounds and LED in turn stalk. any thought? i could just start buying new switches, relays, etc, but id like to narrow it down a little further. any help would be appreciated. thanks

papakb

There aren't any relays in the system. The flasher unit feeds the turn signal directly and it sends out the pulsing signal to the appropriate lamps. This sounds like a bad turn signal switch. Don't buy bad ones in the hope of making 1 good one out of them. There are probably 4 different models of the switch that all look alike but do not have interchangeable parts. That and try to stay away from the Chinese crap we've been seeing lately.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
papakb, you sure this is not a failure of the flasher box?

There is a great way to open a box and gut it and replace with a cheap electronic signal unit that will fit inside the factory box and look like it is stock. Its like 15 clams.

P.S. - I'm not saying you're wrong papakb, but I have rebuilt bad switches. Not sure if they will be dependable but I have them is reserve for when my good new unopened switches go bad.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
hi guys, new owner here. im having an LED turn signal issue. with the rotary selector in stop, my passenger turn signal is on, not flashing, just on. if i take the signal wire and switch it with the park wire on the light, the park light stays on. so im getting power to wire 460 when there should not be. both indicators flash when the stalk is used. its really annoying. my first thought is the rotary switch is bad and letting current through. i searached the forums and covered all the basics: LEDs all around, good grounds and LED in turn stalk. any thought? i could just start buying new switches, relays, etc, but id like to narrow it down a little further. any help would be appreciated. thanks
If you figure it out...I have parts...cheaper than most.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You did not say if it is both front and rear pass lights illuminating or just one .

If it is both, unhook just one and see it it stops the other from lighting up, if it makes zero change then do the the same for the other to eliminate a backfeed situation .

There are a variety of things that could cause this, wire rubbed thru, brake switch bleeding, ground feed, light switch crossover etc. but it is most likely your turn signal switch itself .

The Deuce is unique in it's wiring, and the test light is your friend, so grab a test light, and just follow the juice back to it's source .

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some thermal flashers work by putting an LED bulb in the TS lever, some dont, I’ve experimented with this.
Nartron won’t work at all, this is the slim flasher unit, the others unit, “can’t remember mfg but larger unit” works with the LED bulb in the
flasher lever. The larger unit is the what I call the old style, square box. Or you can order the compatible thermal flasher from HPG made for
The LED’s...it’s like $3
here is a blurb from truklite:

Why LED’s don’t work on HMMWV’s?The electrical system on the HMMWV was not originally designed for LED lights. LED running lights did not exist when the vehicle was originally developed. Consequently, LED lights will not function properly when added to the vehicle.What is the problem?The electrical system for the turn signals on the HMMWV allows some current to find a “sneak path” back into the flasher unit. With the original incandescent running light system, this does not cause the flasher to malfunction. However, when LED running lights are installed, the residual current that reaches the flasher does cause it to malfunction. It remains “stuck” in the off position and the front LED turn signal lamps emit a dim glow and will not flash brightly with the turn signal.What happens?The “sneak path” is actually facilitated by the incandescent indicator lamp in the turn signal switch. It allows current to flow back through it to the flasher causing it to stay in the “off” position. Hence, with the head lights turned on, the front LED turn signals are dim.The Solution:Block the “sneak path” so that the residual electricity cannot flow back to the flasher and cause it to remain in the off position. Replace the incandescent turn signal indicator lamp with a diode – a single LED light! It allows the flasher to function as it was originally designed for the HMMWV, with LED running lights.The LED diode could be purchased from:www.digi-key.comPart Number: L1074-ND for 12 Volt L1080-ND for 24 Volt

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks