Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Crew Cab 6x6 Options?

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by simp5782 View Post
    Well when it comes to repurposing and working them then i am the I am the guy. I start a build thread and i get it done. Simple as that. I have logged more miles in military trucks than anyone on this site. I have done modifications to these trucks that were not meant to be done in all sorts of combination and made them functional and operational for hundred of thousands of miles. Nothing i have is a mall queen.
    That is great! Then you should have answered differently to my post before we derailed the thread. Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum. Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab? BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,666 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guntotnhippie View Post
    Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum.
    That would be incorrect. The Military Vehicle Owners community is what supports this forum. Maybe be a part of the community before you try telling the COMMUNITY what they are.
    KG5RKO
    1954 M37
    1955 Austin Champ
    1980 M116A2 MEP003
    1995 M105A3

US ARMY - Overlanding since 1775

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mkcoen For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (10-15-2019), dougnash (10-12-2019), Jbulach (10-10-2019), porkysplace (10-09-2019), silverstate55 (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,787 Times in 2,745 Posts

That is great! Then you should have answered differently to my post before we derailed the thread. Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum. Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab? BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.
    You may like pirate better than this forum . Prepper's don't support this forum they get booted from this forum. Private site, owners rules that you agreed to when you signed up.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to porkysplace For This Useful Post:

Jbulach (10-10-2019), silverstate55 (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,426 Times in 1,377 Posts

Ok, Thank you, I will look at those options. What I find funny is that Trump signs an executive order in March for the Government to identify and protect key assets against Electro*#@netic Pul$e and you think that it's some sort of conspiracy wack job request? I built a 12v Cummins Suburban which was not cheap. I do have money and very serious about what I am building. The most ironic thing of this forum so far is that it seems that it's all about rebuilding/re-purposing military vehicles to guys (not everyone I know) that don't want to use them? Oh I get it. It's all about parking a big shiny military truck in front of my house in the suburbs to show the neighbors how large my ego is. Unbelievable.
    You don't know who is here, if they own ex-military vehicles or not, or what they use their vehicles for. You are free to judge, but your opinion doesn't matter, nobody's does really. You get to do what you want with your truck as does everybody else, if or when you have one. Arrogance is judging aloud what others should be doing with their property. You have asked a lot of questions, yet what have you contributed back?

We've answered your questions and given you opinions. You don't have to tell us you have money. Start your build, post your pics, and we'll follow along. Publish mistakes and lessons learned for other to benefit from. Offer verbal and physical help to others if reasonably able to do so. We'll do the same in return.
    CFO @ Portacharger

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 74M35A2 For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (10-15-2019), Jbulach (10-10-2019), silverstate55 (10-11-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,094 Times in 638 Posts

...The most ironic thing of this forum so far is that it seems that it's all about rebuilding/re-purposing military vehicles to guys (not everyone I know) that don't want to use them? Oh I get it. It's all about parking a big shiny military truck in front of my house in the suburbs to show the neighbors how large my ego is. Unbelievable.
    My truck is not shinyIMG_7710.JPG I think there are more than a few of us on here that use our trucks...

...Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum...
    And what reasoning do you have for this?

...Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab?...
    Yes. Also look into firetruck cabs, and remember M939 will seat 3 in front and crew cab done properly can seat 4 in the back.

...BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.
    So what controls the engine and trans of an M1085?
    M925A2

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbulach For This Useful Post:

8madjack (10-12-2019), porkysplace (10-11-2019), silverstate55 (10-11-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 610 Posts

What's your MVPA membership number? That's what supports this forum, not the "prepper community." I know preppers well, many of them own complete sections near where I live now and are already asking for help with repairing/maintaining their former military "bugout vehicles."

Simp5782 nailed it in his replies...YES you can convert the M1085 to crewcab, but why do so when the truck is completely dependent upon vulnerable electronics (engine has ECU, trans has ECU, and so on)? That makes no sense.

Simp5782 also points out that with the older 809/939-series trucks, you can readily get the majority of repair/replacement parts for these trucks at most major parts outlets (NAPA, Cummins, et al). That's not the case with the FMTV series, nor the newly-released MTVR series.

We do modify our former military vehicles to suit our needs here, and Simp5782 absolutely does that and more. But what we don't do is to get upset when someone points out contradictory statements.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to silverstate55 For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (10-15-2019), Jbulach (10-11-2019), porkysplace (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Less air, more wrenching

Personally I like to be ready, think boy scout not paranoid prepper.

I think too many folks have "****ation ally" fantasies. Either get a plot and get self sufficient or build mad skills and be small mobile and lethal no one is going to survive the "apocalypse " in a big billboard that says "take me down" heck even the Jawa crawler got taken by the storm troopers once on the radar

Sorry if that post broke a rule and the movie name got censored, no attempt at cussing.
    Last edited by 8madjack; 10-12-2019 at 00:34.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8madjack For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (10-15-2019), silverstate55 (10-12-2019)

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 610 Posts

I understand "doing a ton of research" and how even a substantial amount of hours doing this wouldn't cover answering the most basic information, if you're new to MVs; folks who were never in the military don't understand the relationship that the TMs have with related equipment, and how veterans rely on this as their first Go-To instinct.

Best advice listed here is what Simp5782 said: buy a Tatra crewcab outright, especially an older non-electronic version. Seems to be the win-win solution....maybe the working budget needs to be re-thought?

Thanks

Most of your questions about mods will be answered here. No need to reinvent the wheel. Its a site for world travelers not preppers but lots of real world tried and true info. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Eddy from the Great White Northhttp://www.steelsoldiers.com/vbgooglemapme.php?lat=41.112468789181&lng=-95.2734375&zoom=4

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4