• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab 6x6 Options?

guntotnhippie

Hi, I am new here so hopefully I am posting in the correct location. We are a family of 6 looking for a 6x6 (preferred), 8x8 or 4x4 vehicle that has seating for 6. We are looking at stretching the frame and putting a 26' expedition box and torsion free sub frame on the back. The only solution I have found this far is either doing a crew cab conversion on a m927 or m1085 and stretching them OR a MAN TGS which I can't get in the US. The vehicle needs to be all mechanical which is why we really like the 8.3. The rig will be pulling our 91 Cummins Suburban (7k lbs). The box will be a composite box which is suppose to be 30-50% lighter than aluminum. Another vehicle that I found is a Tatra 815 but all the crew cabs I have found are firefighter vehicles which have tanks and all sorts of stuff I don't want to pay extra for. Also the MAN TGS and Tatra are not all mechanical which means I would have to carry secondary electronics to bring the rig back to life. I have also heard that doing the quad cab conversion is usually not done correctly due to just welding two bodies together and not addressing a roll cage or reinforcements that help with torsion. I like to keep the budget under $80k for the truck not including the box. What options am I missing?

Tatra
https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableTruck/12103/2003-Tatra-6x6-Wildland-Tanker-w/Foam

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jericho

You need to go look at and drive a few 900 series trucks . they are roadable and can low range crawl .Keep your CG as low as possible on your rv section maybe even ballast it with cargo boxes mounted between your fuel tanks under your double cab. Doing a double cab isnt difficult for anyone with some decent fad experience , do airbag suspension on the rear cab, look on this site , there are some very nice ones. The LMTVs actually have lower highway speeds unless you change the gearing. Lots more electronics. I prefer the M 931A2 personaly . Also prefer the 900 series Cummins over the cat 3116 .

guntotnhippie

You need to go look at and drive a few 900 series trucks . they are roadable and can low range crawl .Keep your CG as low as possible on your rv section maybe even ballast it with cargo boxes mounted between your fuel tanks under your double cab. Doing a double cab isnt difficult for anyone with some decent fad experience , do airbag suspension on the rear cab, look on this site , there are some very nice ones. The LMTVs actually have lower highway speeds unless you change the gearing. Lots more electronics. I prefer the M 931A2 personaly . Also prefer the 900 series Cummins over the cat 3116 .
I am right with you. The m927 would give us the 8.3 and longer wheel base. I can't seem to find a good place that will take on the project. Have a call in with a local guy that does kickass fab work but he might be too busy. Definitely going to keep the weight down on the rear that's why we are going with Total Composites. Seems most of the world is using the composite foam boxes. I would put the seats in back but no way would the seats stay in place with a decent wreck. The warranty is only good if you use foam core, plywood, metal on the floor. The 2" foam under seats is too unstable in the case of an accident or even heavy duty off-roading.

guntotnhippie

BTW I am curious why would you go with a m931a2 vs a m927a2 if you were stretching it?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi, I am new here so hopefully I am posting in the correct location. I didn't see a Bug Out Apocalyptic EMP Proof Expedition Rig forum. lol We are a family of 6 looking for a 6x6 (preferred), 8x8 or 4x4 vehicle that has seating for 6. We are looking at stretching the frame and putting a 26' expedition box and torsion free sub frame on the back. The only solution I have found this far is either doing a crew cab conversion on a m927 or m1085 and stretching them OR a MAN TGS which I can't get in the US. The vehicle needs to be EMP proof which is why we really like the 8.3. The rig will be pulling our 91 Cummins Suburban (7k lbs). The box will be a composite box which is suppose to be 30-50% lighter than aluminum. Another vehicle that I found is a Tatra 815 but all the crew cabs I have found are firefighter vehicles which have tanks and all sorts of stuff I don't want to pay extra for. Also the MAN TGS and Tatra are not EMP proof which means I would have to carry secondary electronics to bring the rig back to life. I have also heard that doing the quad cab conversion is usually not done correctly due to just welding two bodies together and not addressing a roll cage or reinforcements that help with torsion. I like to keep the budget under $80k for the truck not including the box. What options am I missing?

Tatra
https://www.firetruckmall.com/AvailableTruck/12103/2003-Tatra-6x6-Wildland-Tanker-w/Foam

Thanks!
Welcome to SS , you didn't see a EMP, bugout forum because it is a taboo subject here and against the site rules . I see the moderators locking this thread
From the rules.
Do not post Zombie, bug out, SHTF, EMP, Political, conspiracy or any similar threads.

Jericho

long range dual tanks already installed, its a sports car compared to the others when not pulling a trailer shorter turning radius. better braking low center of gravity. if you check out my page youll see my camper. An M 750 expandable trailer has a;;the comforts of home and more lots of good fabricators here !

guntotnhippie

Welcome to SS , you didn't see a EMP, bugout forum because it is a taboo subject here and against the site rules . I see the moderators locking this thread
From the rules.
Do not post Zombie, bug out, SHTF, EMP, Political, conspiracy or any similar threads.
Oops sorry about that. I will remove the EMP part.

74M35A2

If I read it right and your are needing the frame to be rigid, you’ll be extremely disappointed. Majority of M939 frames are mild steel at best, deliberately, with minimal cross bracing, specifically designed to twist and keep the maximum number of wheels in contact with the ground. This is why the bed is mounted with springs between the flange and nuts/bolt heads.

I read this was part of the design, and then verified it when I drove my M925a2 up and over a car. Driver side front wheel up on the roof, heavy frame twist, and all 4 rear wheels still in contact with the ground. It was like the frame rails were made of wet noodles. Very cool feature, but not what I think you are looking for, unless you mount your camper box like the bed is, on spring-bolts or whatever they are called. Longer 927 truck will just make it exponentially worse, could literally crack your box right in half or otherwise destroy it, if firmly bolted to the truck frame, depending on the terrain traversed.

guntotnhippie

long range dual tanks already installed, its a sports car compared to the others when not pulling a trailer shorter turning radius. better braking low center of gravity. if you check out my page youll see my camper. An M 750 expandable trailer has a;;the comforts of home and more lots of good fabricators here !
Ah dual tanks is nice to start with. Wonder if the same is the frame? Do you think a fabricator would need to find another truck to extend it or would they just build a new frame? I'll start looking at those also.

guntotnhippie

We are building a 3 point torsion free subframe that bolts to the frame. This is how Expedition rigs in other countries handle frame tweaking.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah dual tanks is nice to start with. Wonder if the same is the frame? Do you think a fabricator would need to find another truck to extend it or would they just build a new frame? I'll start looking at those also.
Start with the longer truck. Adding a fuel tank is easier than extending the wheelbase, and you wont have to splice the frame in a high stress area.

guntotnhippie

Start with the longer truck. Adding a fuel tank is easier than extending the wheelbase, and you wont have to splice the frame in a high stress area.
How long do you think we can add on to a m927 and still have a nice offroad rig? I am trying to get to a 26-28' bed with a quad cab. We were looking at a Dynamax DX3 at almost 40' so I figured if I could stay under 40 with 6x6 it should still be pretty functional offroad but this is all new territory for me. The plan is to have about 3 feet off the tail end that will angle up so I was thinking maybe end up with 37'-38' total frame length.

sassriverrat

I know of a top-notch custom fab shop that might take it on- he's located in Maryland though....but does everything from military black box jobs to oil field custom work- anyone- he drives a deuce himself...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
How long do you think we can add on to a m927 and still have a nice offroad rig? I am trying to get to a 26-28' bed with a quad cab. We were looking at a Dynamax DX3 at almost 40' so I figured if I could stay under 40 with 6x6 it should still be pretty functional offroad but this is all new territory for me. The plan is to have about 3 feet off the tail end that will angle up so I was thinking maybe end up with 37'-38' total frame length.
Add 6 or so feet and add another axle or whole axle set.

guntotnhippie

I know of a top-notch custom fab shop that might take it on- he's located in Maryland though....but does everything from military black box jobs to oil field custom work- anyone- he drives a deuce himself...
I am interested in talking to him. Thanks!

guntotnhippie

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks