• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Crew Cab 6x6 Options?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Profo's truck rocks; it is beautifully done, and very impressive. That's me in the camo coveralls....I've only been inside it, haven't gotten to travel in it like Simp.

Jericho

I think if your honest about off roading at forty feet your really not OFF ROADING , maybe a rough road or a class 6 road but not off the road surface, At forty feet your turning radius is likly 50 feet or more, Your angles of approach and departure are dramaticly changed . weight distribution is considerable changed. I run a M 931A2 and an M 750 expansible trailer. the 931 has the multi angle 5th wheel and is flexable but I dont take it out on thru the woods jaunts, I do live on 3 miles of my own rocky drive way where the normal speed is 5 MPH. Sheer bulk is a concern as you lean and shift from side to side in narrow tree filled tracks . Travel in the deserts out west eliminates the tree issue. I have put 18 k on my 931 in 6 years or so. if i wanted a better off / on road rig i would do an M915 with the 400 big cam and 16 speed trans civilian wise maybe an OTR tractor with a cummins and allisn combo 600 hp ISL perhaps with a full size 53 foot trailer

guntotnhippie

I think if your honest about off roading at forty feet your really not OFF ROADING , maybe a rough road or a class 6 road but not off the road surface, At forty feet your turning radius is likly 50 feet or more, Your angles of approach and departure are dramaticly changed . weight distribution is considerable changed. I run a M 931A2 and an M 750 expansible trailer. the 931 has the multi angle 5th wheel and is flexable but I dont take it out on thru the woods jaunts, I do live on 3 miles of my own rocky drive way where the normal speed is 5 MPH. Sheer bulk is a concern as you lean and shift from side to side in narrow tree filled tracks . Travel in the deserts out west eliminates the tree issue. I have put 18 k on my 931 in 6 years or so. if i wanted a better off / on road rig i would do an M915 with the 400 big cam and 16 speed trans civilian wise maybe an OTR tractor with a cummins and allisn combo 600 hp ISL perhaps with a full size 53 foot trailer
I hear you. The 37-38' would equate to about 35-36'' total length from bumper to back of frame because the rear would have a subframe and box would be angled up like the MAN TGS expedition rigs. We are not looking to traverse the world with it but would like to be able to travel places that regular RVs and trailers couldn't go. If the length is going to kill it from there then I think I would look at a Freightliner chassis and potentially upgrade the suspension. Something like this... https://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/listing/2001-FREIGHTLINER-FL80-5009128335. I would think the ground clearance on these rigs would suffice even with a longer wheel base. Unfortunately there aren't many choices for a family of 6 or more for full time RVing.

guntotnhippie

One other question for you guys. Is it possible to swap the body of these trucks with a freightliner body? I am guessing no but I figured I would ask for those that know about the Freightliner chassis.

guntotnhippie

Guys, I've been doing a TON of research. I have narrowed down to the M1085. In case anyone else is in the same position (I am sure you are out there) here is what I have come up with...

1. The M900 series (freight liner body style) trucks will only fit 3 in the back. This is because these types of truck cabs are not sitting over the wheels. In a Mercedes-Benz OR MAN KAT the bodies are wider and sit directly over the wheels. Because of this that style of body will lend itself to supporting 4 seats across. (DUH - should have figured that out sooner)

2. M900 series also looses total length for the livable box due to the cab sitting behind the wheels instead of over the wheels.

3. There aren't aren't many American options out there for us. :(. Mercedes-Benz (1980-1995) has the AF fire truck that can be found in a 6x6 double cab with 4 sitting in the rear but they are going to be extremely hard to find and very expensive to import.

4. The only American version I can find is the M1088 FMTV series because they are a clone of the Austrian Steyr 12m18.

Now the next part based on speaking to a couple of knowledgeable guys. Doing a crew cab conversion requires support. One gentlemen said that a roll cage should be built internally. After inspecting the Mercedes-Benz (ex: 1120 AF - Fire or Police) European vehicles when they do a conversion they leave the first cab intact. Then cut a 'window' in the rear. Then weld a second cut cab on to the back of the main cab. It looks like some people reverse the cab because of the suicide doors - makes sense to me.

Here's my question to you guys because Google has no results...

Is it possible to build a M1085/M1088 into a crew cab using the latter method described above? Major challenges?

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Guys, I've been doing a TON of research. I have narrowed down to the M1085. In case anyone else is in the same position (I am sure you are out there) here is what I have come up with...

1. The M900 series (freight liner body style) trucks will only fit 3 in the back. This is because these types of truck cabs are not sitting over the wheels. In a Mercedes-Benz OR MAN KAT the bodies are wider and sit directly over the wheels. Because of this that style of body will lend itself to supporting 4 seats across. (DUH - should have figured that out sooner)

2. M900 series also looses total length for the livable box due to the cab sitting behind the wheels instead of over the wheels.

3. There aren't aren't many American options out there for us. :(. Mercedes-Benz (1980-1995) has the AF fire truck that can be found in a 6x6 double cab with 4 sitting in the rear but they are going to be extremely hard to find and very expensive to import.

4. The only American version I can find is the M1088 FMTV series because they are a clone of the Austrian Steyr 12m18.

Now the next part based on speaking to a couple of knowledgeable guys. Doing a crew cab conversion requires support. One gentlemen said that a roll cage should be built internally. After inspecting the Mercedes-Benz (ex: 1120 AF - Fire or Police) European vehicles when they do a conversion they leave the first cab intact. Then cut a 'window' in the rear. Then weld a second cut cab on to the back of the main cab. It looks like some people reverse the cab because of the suicide doors - makes sense to me.

Here's my question to you guys because Google has no results...

Is it possible to build a M1085/M1088 into a crew cab using the latter method described above? Major challenges?
Just spend your money and buy a tatra or some other type of vehicle that is already a 4door and designed to carry a load. Especially if you have more money than sense. The fab and build work will eat up too much money when it comes to what you want from a stock military truck. Tatras can be had in this country. There is a member in oregon that has a few. His user name is tatra something. I believe the one from Canada that came to the 2017 georgia rally could seat like 6 or 8 people. and could carry a 20ft conex in the bed that was a living container. Or acquire a M1070 HET and place a M934 box or something built to suit the needs. The M934 expando is around 350sq ft. But then you run into engine electronic issues for your EMP proof wanna be crap.

a FMTV is an electronics nightmare and you are wanting emp proof so apparently you do not know your trucks if you are choosing that over a 5 ton that will stay running until it runs out of fuel and does not need any battery power to operate. Also the fact that the FMTV parts are not common items amongst parts places can make sourcing anything in a pinch a impossible task compared to a M809/M939 that are designed on old school heavy truck frames. a M1088 is around 8ft shorter than a M927. You are also asking to add tons and tons of crap to a already gutless powerplant rather you get a M809/m939 or FMTV.

You are asking too much for what you are expecting and honestly i think you are just blowing smoke over this thread as we have has all types of preppers roll thru here on this site with crazy ideas and just no productivity. I am sure it will be a dead thread in the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCthWRNr2pk

guntotnhippie

Just spend your money and buy a tatra or some other type of vehicle that is already a 4door and designed to carry a load. Especially if you have more money than sense. The fab and build work will eat up too much money when it comes to what you want from a stock military truck. Tatras can be had in this country. There is a member in oregon that has a few. His user name is tatra something. I believe the one from Canada that came to the 2017 georgia rally could seat like 6 or 8 people. and could carry a 20ft conex in the bed that was a living container. Or acquire a M1070 HET and place a M934 box or something built to suit the needs. The M934 expando is around 350sq ft. But then you run into engine electronic issues for your EMP proof wanna be crap.

a FMTV is an electronics nightmare and you are wanting emp proof so apparently you do not know your trucks if you are choosing that over a 5 ton that will stay running until it runs out of fuel and does not need any battery power to operate. Also the fact that the FMTV parts are not common items amongst parts places can make sourcing anything in a pinch a impossible task compared to a M809/M939 that are designed on old school heavy truck frames. a M1088 is around 8ft shorter than a M927. You are also asking to add tons and tons of crap to a already gutless powerplant rather you get a M809/m939 or FMTV.

You are asking too much for what you are expecting and honestly i think you are just blowing smoke over this thread as we have has all types of preppers roll thru here on this site with crazy ideas and just no productivity. I am sure it will be a dead thread in the end.
Ok, Thank you, I will look at those options. What I find funny is that Trump signs an executive order in March for the Government to identify and protect key assets against Electro*#@netic Pul$e and you think that it's some sort of conspiracy wack job request? I built a 12v Cummins Suburban which was not cheap. I do have money and very serious about what I am building. The most ironic thing of this forum so far is that it seems that it's all about rebuilding/re-purposing military vehicles to guys (not everyone I know) that don't want to use them? Oh I get it. It's all about parking a big shiny military truck in front of my house in the suburbs to show the neighbors how large my ego is. Unbelievable.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, Thank you, I will look at those options. What I find funny is that Trump signs an executive order in March for the Government to identify and protect key assets against Electro*#@netic Pul$e and you think that it's some sort of conspiracy wack job request? I built a 12v Cummins Suburban which was not cheap. I do have money and very serious about what I am building. The most ironic thing of this forum so far is that it seems that it's all about rebuilding/re-purposing military vehicles to guys (not everyone I know) that don't want to use them? Oh I get it. It's all about parking a big shiny military truck in front of my house in the suburbs to show the neighbors how large my ego is. Unbelievable.
Well when it comes to repurposing and working them then i am the I am the guy. I start a build thread and i get it done. Simple as that. I have logged more miles in military trucks than anyone on this site. I have done modifications to these trucks that were not meant to be done in all sorts of combination and made them functional and operational for hundred of thousands of miles. Nothing i have is a mall queen.

guntotnhippie

Well when it comes to repurposing and working them then i am the I am the guy. I start a build thread and i get it done. Simple as that. I have logged more miles in military trucks than anyone on this site. I have done modifications to these trucks that were not meant to be done in all sorts of combination and made them functional and operational for hundred of thousands of miles. Nothing i have is a mall queen.
That is great! Then you should have answered differently to my post before we derailed the thread. Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum. Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab? BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is great! Then you should have answered differently to my post before we derailed the thread. Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum. Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab? BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.
You may like pirate better than this forum . Prepper's don't support this forum they get booted from this forum. Private site, owners rules that you agreed to when you signed up.

74M35A2

You don't know who is here, if they own ex-military vehicles or not, or what they use their vehicles for. You are free to judge, but your opinion doesn't matter, nobody's does really. You get to do what you want with your truck as does everybody else, if or when you have one. Arrogance is judging aloud what others should be doing with their property. You have asked a lot of questions, yet what have you contributed back?

We've answered your questions and given you opinions. You don't have to tell us you have money. Start your build, post your pics, and we'll follow along. Publish mistakes and lessons learned for other to benefit from. Offer verbal and physical help to others if reasonably able to do so. We'll do the same in return.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...The most ironic thing of this forum so far is that it seems that it's all about rebuilding/re-purposing military vehicles to guys (not everyone I know) that don't want to use them? Oh I get it. It's all about parking a big shiny military truck in front of my house in the suburbs to show the neighbors how large my ego is. Unbelievable.
My truck is not shinyIMG_7710.JPG I think there are more than a few of us on here that use our trucks...

...Like it or not the prepper community is what is supporting this forum...
And what reasoning do you have for this?

...Back to my original question can the M1085/m1088 be converted to a quad cab?...
Yes. Also look into firetruck cabs, and remember M939 will seat 3 in front and crew cab done properly can seat 4 in the back.

...BTW electronics are OK what is not OK is microprocessors.
So what controls the engine and trans of an M1085?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What's your MVPA membership number? That's what supports this forum, not the "prepper community." I know preppers well, many of them own complete sections near where I live now and are already asking for help with repairing/maintaining their former military "bugout vehicles."

Simp5782 nailed it in his replies...YES you can convert the M1085 to crewcab, but why do so when the truck is completely dependent upon vulnerable electronics (engine has ECU, trans has ECU, and so on)? That makes no sense.

Simp5782 also points out that with the older 809/939-series trucks, you can readily get the majority of repair/replacement parts for these trucks at most major parts outlets (NAPA, Cummins, et al). That's not the case with the FMTV series, nor the newly-released MTVR series.

We do modify our former military vehicles to suit our needs here, and Simp5782 absolutely does that and more. But what we don't do is to get upset when someone points out contradictory statements.

8madjack

Less air, more wrenching :jumpin:

Personally I like to be ready, think boy scout not paranoid prepper.

I think too many folks have "****ation ally" fantasies. Either get a plot and get self sufficient or build mad skills and be small mobile and lethal no one is going to survive the "apocalypse " in a big billboard that says "take me down" heck even the Jawa crawler got taken by the storm troopers once on the radar :roll:

Sorry if that post broke a rule and the movie name got censored, no attempt at cussing.

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand "doing a ton of research" and how even a substantial amount of hours doing this wouldn't cover answering the most basic information, if you're new to MVs; folks who were never in the military don't understand the relationship that the TMs have with related equipment, and how veterans rely on this as their first Go-To instinct.

Best advice listed here is what Simp5782 said: buy a Tatra crewcab outright, especially an older non-electronic version. Seems to be the win-win solution....maybe the working budget needs to be re-thought?

SSLT1KID

One other question for you guys. Is it possible to swap the body of these trucks with a freightliner body? I am guessing no but I figured I would ask for those that know about the Freightliner chassis.
With a enough welding, cutting, and grinding, anything is possible. This is not my truck. I know not everyone is going to like it. The guy who did it wanted room for kids and a quieter cab for the wife. I've seen 900 series trucks for sale with no/bad cabs. Apparently big rig cabs, or "rollers" can be had for cheap. Just an idea.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks